Question regarding RID Prowl alt mode and Alternators Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thunder117, Jul 10, 2014.

1. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    I'm not sure if it is, but if RID Prowl's lambo mode was licensed for Hasbro in 2000, why was Sideswipe unable to have his lambo mode 3 years later? I mean, does licensing really get taken away that soon?

2. Rodimus530

Rodimus530 Active Member

I don't know much about it, but I never assumed RID prowl was licensed. I always figured he was a Lamborghini look a like, similar to Generations sideswipe. None of them have the Lamborghini emblems.

3. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Seeing the TF Wiki page, it does say Prowl was supposed to turn into a Lambo Diablo.

Now I know the Generations figures are DEFINITELY not licensed Lambos lol

4. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I may be wrong on this but a license to produce a product based on another company's design is probably a negotiable contract and I'm betting that the the grantor of the license has the ability to set terms including the length of time and limit for that license.

And I don't believe that RID Prowl was ever licensed. I'm pretty sure that Sideburn wasn't initially licensed and that Dodge came along after the fact and said 'hey, that looks great and we want our name on that'

5. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Plus licenses are negotiated beforehand as to what the toy company can use it for. For example, Hasbro's license for MP Prowl can't be used to make a Nerf Nissan or a Monopoly game with Nissan Fairlady tokens or a Kreo Prowl with a realistic alt mode, or even, if it's not covered by the contract, a Generations Prowl.

So just because they got a license for it for RiD Prowl doesn't mean they can use it for Alternators Sideswipe (different toyline and different character)

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Sideburn had the Dodge Viper logo featured very prominently on the package, Prowl didn't have the Lamborghini logo anywhere, so it wasn't licensed.

7. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    This. Neither Prowl nor X-Brawn were licensed. Prowl didn't have any remolding like X-Brawn did to avoid licensing issues, but neither were licensed. Side Burn wasn't licensed until his Super Side Burn version either. I guess Dodge got on Hasbro's ass about it after seeing Side Burn on store shelves or summat.