Question out of curiosity: Why buy multiples?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Galaxy Convoy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Something I've always wondered is, why some collectors buy multiple numbers of the same fig? Case in point, the collector that appeared on an episode of Pawn Stars that tried to sell his G1 collection to them:

Trato Feito (Pawn Stars) - Coleção de Transformers - YouTube (video's in english)

I see like half a dozen PM Primes, several Devastors(in both colors), 3-4 Scorponok's, 4 Omega Supremes, a boatload of Blurr's, etc. I can understand having 2-3 of something, for various purposes. But more than that of something? What's the purpose?

And just to be clear, this is NOT any kind of hate topic. Just something I've been wondering about ever since I saw that ep.

2. Bossguy

Bossguy Banned

I don't know, maybe so they can show them in both their modes? Then why have four? I'm confused as well.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only buy multiples for troop builders (Wreck-Gar, Scourge).

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I usually buy two of each figure if I like them a lot, one to open and one to keep sealed, I'm partly an "MISB" collector, that's one reason.

Other reasons include:

- troop building (I troop build non-traditional figures like Mini-bots, Legends, etc.)
    - trying to find the best example/specimen (mostly in the case of G1 stuff), and to be honest, even if I do find a mint example, I tend to keep the others, kinda hard to let go since I've grown fond of them
    - they turn into weapons (in the case of Arms Microns) and I like my figures to be heavily armed

5. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's because it's like plastic crack, and if you see something going for less than you think it should you feel compelled to get it even if you already have it.

Or in the case of new toys I buy multiples if I think they'll be worth more some day

6. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    dude, that collection is worth more than that. the lack of packaging hurts though

7. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One for vehicle mode, one for root mode, one to keep in package, one to customize, perhaps one to just pose while you tinker with the other one.. the list goes on.

8. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thing about transformers though is you cna't really tell what it's worth without a close look.

Do the powermasters have the powermasters, do the headmasters have the headmasters? do they have their weapons? Are there missing wheels? etc

9. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me, there are five reasons. 1: So you can show both modes. 2: To have multiples of the weapon for the figure to double wield. 3: To represent multiple figures. 4: So you can brag to your friends that you are super nerdy. 5: To repaint into another figure.

10. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Hasbro likes it when they sell out of toys. The more they sell, the more likely they will produce more products. You will never know when someone happens to want an extra item that you want that you can trade or sell to them...

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only buy multiples for two reasons:

- Troop-builders.
    - It's a figure I really like, but there's some sort of known issue with it that may lead to the figure breaking in the future. In that case, I buy an extra to keep MISB, just in case the original copy I have does break. I think I only have 1 or 2 figures I've done this with.

12. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Plastic crack addiction...

13. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I like to have multiples.

Takara Versions
    Hasbro Versions
    Loose and Carded / Boxed versions of both.

Usually I own 3 / 4 of each figure and all the variant / retools / remolds / repaints.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

To display on different shelves, one for alt mode and bot mode etc.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for the guy in the episode, he seemed to only like g1, maybe when he finished the series, he just kept buying out of a love for it, or he bought in lots, and acquired multiples that way

16. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I only buy mutiples for troopbuilding purposes

17. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    In the case of the G1 collection, it was either variants or just multiples he acquired by buying in lots. Or, often times collectors will pick up things that they don't need or want because the price is really good and they'll be able to sell or trade up to what they want. Flipping toys can go pretty far if you work hard enough and pay attention.

For other stuff, it depends; I personally will buy multiples of figures where the transformation will eventually destroy the toy, I'll buy a second MISB if I really like the packaging and presentation, I'll buy variants and deco changes, or I'll buy multiples if I'm really impressed by a toy and want to display it in both modes at once. I don't troop build, but that's another reason.

18. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    If I really like a figure I keep one MIB and open. If its a figure i really like yet its rare, I usually get just one but debate opening it.

The only other multiples I get are for troop building and I've only done that with Vehicons in my entire collecting life.

19. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I rarely buy multiples. I tried to get into the silliness of troop building but that just got expensive. Lol. Ummm... But for the most part I buy 2 of figures I REALLY like. I'm planning on buying 2 MP Soundwaves. I have RTS & United Jazz. 2 Battle for Cybertron Cyclonus. And 2 RID Scourges. Guess I buy 2 just in case something happens to one of them. Came in handy with RID Scourge. The chrome on the trailer of the the figure I opened got all cloudy and ugly on one side. Glad I have a backup ;) 

20. Salty

Salty Fritobot

For figs I like, multiples are there for the inevitability of unavailability and the (likely) high price on the secondary market.