Question on the Quality of Cyberverse Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Charlock, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Charlock

Charlock Lighten Up, Francis.

My two oldest boys are 9 and 7. They've had a long time interest in my Transformers collection, but they're only now starting to realize that if they aren't careful with some of their own toys, they tend to get broken or pieces get lost, etc.

On one of our most recent trips to the store, they came across the Cyberverse line and they were kind of bewildered by all of the different classes and types of figures, but it seemed to me that this line is probably right up their alley, as far as age appropriateness goes. That said, I'm still a little reluctant to buy them anything with a lot of loose, small pieces or easily disassembled parts.

So, I thought I'd ask here and see if I can get some idea of the quality of these figures and whether or not they would be suited to my boys. I've watched several reviews and "transform it's" on YouTube and read a couple of the posts on the boards, but it's not exactly comparable to watching them take a trip down a flight of stairs, or be recovered from tall grass after a night of heavy rain...

For you Cyberverse collectors, or anyone who has purchased these toys for their kids; how well do they hold up?

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Their quality is definitely worse then Siege or Stuido series and most of them are bricks the cyberverse deluxes are actually good and feel more like siege deluxes but still lacking

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Sorry they are not that good. I've had issues with wings popping off and getting harder to put back on and soft, easily scratched paint on Slipstream. I already have faint yellowing, even though I've kept Skyfire completely out of the sun. They're cheap. Not flimsy, but cheap. They have gotten better but still not great. I have better happy meal toys and rescue bots then this. Not looking forward to seeing how they age.

RiD15 would be a good alternative.

Keep in mind that I do like them and intend to get more. The new releases will hopefully be better. I can't say how good the really big ones are. Just the normal sized and smaller ones.

My daughter has a few and hasn't been impressed.

Edited: I'd say the best of the bunch I have so far are normal sized Shockwave and the Windblade I bought to customize. I suggest getting a couple and see how your kiddos like them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    Me neither I'm hoping it ends this year

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charlock

I don't mind the idea of one mode or the other being a little brick-y, honestly. These will be their first foray into the world of Transformers, so a little hindered articulation in alt-mode wouldn't be the worst thing.

I was looking at the Warrior class and higher, as the Scout class looks little ridiculous, IMO. I just want to see if I can determine that these guys aren't going to snap off a limb the first time they're transformed. Or simply be too difficult to manage for my kids at their respective ages.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matthew Haskett

Matthew Haskett Well-Known Member

I just want to add that while the new Cyberverse deluxes are a bit nicer, I find the transformations to be very finicky. Maybe I’m underestimating the dexterity of children but I think they would have a tough time with them.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Venixion

News Credits:

Unless they're excessively rough they should mostly be fine. Steer clear of the gimmicky seekers.

Figs like Shockwave, Skyfire, Gnaw, Windblade and Hammerbyte are decent choices. I'm unsure about the rest. Perhaps check out the reviews for each fig?

• Like Like x 3
  8. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

For the non-deluxe line, they made sure all the weapons accessories were part of the figure, either built in or tethered. I haven't had any problems with parts flying off with the ones I've got. The worst I got is a bunch of stress marks. They are probably the best for that age group. Also, you can pick up a bunch of them on the cheap on BBTS and Amazon.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Charlock

That's disappointing about the quality. I'd definitely rather get them something that will hold up against play. My oldest LOVES the look of the Deluxe Shockwave. His younger brother doesn't really have a preference, other than thinking Optimus Prime is cool, no matter what version the toy is.

I may start there, then. I just got a $50 Amazon gift card, so it won't be a total loss if they decide they hate them and we return them for something a little less finicky.

Thanks for the input, all.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Venixion

News Credits:

Err umm...you might wanna hold off on that for a bit. I've heard Amazon is halting shipments or something. Not sure how true that is.

They aren't completely terrible. But if your that worried then RiD15 will give your kids a similar aesthetic if they like it, my daughter likes that line a lot, as she has a fair few, and much better quality.

But as long as you steer clear of some of the more gimmicky CV ones you should be alright.

Sorry I know I sound confusing.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    right i forgot about that...Bumblebee's transformation is easily the worst

the deluxe Shockwave is definitely the best out of them and his Transformation isn't the hardest...but man does his alt mode look stupid i just use him as a action figure Shockwave

RID was a pretty great line i got Scorpinok last Christmas He's really fun

And the scouts don't actually transform if you're gonna buy a scout buy the Scraplet he's actually really good for a scout he doesn't transform but he's adorable

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
  12. Charlock

Yeah, I saw the Scout class and the kind of mid-transform modes, but wasn't really impressed. The bots look great, but I think the sort of half-alt mode would ultimately be disappointing. And I wasn't sure on the 1-step changers, but some of their bot modes look pretty neat.

I think I am going to order my daughter the Warrior class Windblade. She is in love with the Arcee, but it sounds like she'll have to wait a while for that one yet.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Matthew Haskett

Matthew Haskett Well-Known Member

It might just be me but I think your kids would be fine with quite a few figures from the generations line. While they do have a higher MSRP, you can frequently find many of them for the same price as the lower quality toys.

Many of the siege toys are quite sturdy and with only a few exceptions there aren’t many that are fragile and or have small parts. Of course you will want to simply remove the accessories so they don’t get lost (or for other reasons; I don’t allow my son to have much access to toy weapons nor do I display my toys with combat-oriented weapons/tools).

My son is quite a bit younger than your children and we play with the siege toys together. He occasionally can pull pieces apart but since we he mostly plays with me modeling desires behavior he can actually repair most of them himself. He can even transform a few of them!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Charlock

That's awesome! I wasn't sure about Siege, with the higher price tag. I don't collect them myself, but I know a lot of folks are praising them for their quality and aesthetics. They definitely look great. I do worry about the transformation processes, just because of the number of steps, but I will take a look at them and see if there are a few that might be a good fit.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    46644879-9F9C-44AC-AA97-AECBC682BF08.jpeg The deluxe class ones are pretty good, Tho they cost the same as a gen deluxe, so it’s a wash, unless the kids really like cyberverse

• Like Like x 3
  16. Venixion

News Credits:
    Seige is pretty damn good too. They're certainly old enough. My daughter has lines from movieverse, Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Power of the Primes and Seige.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My 5 and 3 year olds have several. Quality varies, some are great (Wheeljack, deluxe seekers, bumblebee) some not:

Deluxe OP - ax broke off
    Deluxe Megatron - legs fall off, energon mace can be pulled out... it's fixable with a screwdriver and lighter though
    Deluxe shockwave - limbs pop off easily
    Small hot rod - disassembles easily
    Cheetor - arm joint tolerances are awful. one arm won't stay in well anymore, plastic cracked and broke

It's a fun line but not perfect.

-

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    of the ones ive gotten warrior shockwave, gnaw and hammerbyte are all great figures and deluxe bumblebee and megatron are both good as well. ive heard good things about ultra class clobber and am looking forward to rack'n'ruin. they're better quality than people make them out to be, but not really up to par with the main generations lines

• Like Like x 2
  19. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    I think you mean warrior Optimus Megatron and Shockwave

• Like Like x 2
  20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Talking strictly in terms of quality control, it varies from figure to figure. Overall, the $20 Ultras are overall solid toys of the few I own. Only Alpha Trion has some leg panels that like to pop off. These guys are unlikely to break from rough play.

The deluxe "Warrior" figures vary in QC wildly. Overall, I'd avoid these if your kids are super rough with their toys...I just don't see most of them holding up.

The One-Step Changers are some of the best they've ever done and are less prone to parts popping off. I highly recommend these as well, despite the overall fandom looking down on them for some strange reason.

Avoid Scouts like the plague, unless there's just no other way to obtain the character, like Ramjet or Dead End. The only thing I can think of that's worse than Actionmasters that don't transform are Transformers that are stuck in mid-transformation - like the half-way step picture on old G1 packaging.

Like, step three on top there is actually being pawned off as an alt mode.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1