Customs: Question on final Coat for Customs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by lordtigerhawk, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lordtigerhawk

lordtigerhawk Well-Known Member

Hey guys I am doing my first real custom transformer. From and Old Cybertron defence red alert. Got the bad boy painted with Citedal paints from Games Workshop, and about to add the black wash to make the other parts darker for shadow effect. Now here are the problems I have run into. First did not clean the piece big mistake, and unlike I would do with Warhammer figures I paint I would have primed the toy so the paint would have stayed on. Once again another mistake I did not want to hinder the transformation of the toy. Also Did not pull the unit apart for the same reason (Made it much harder to get into the small spots. Plus I don't have the tools to use.) Any way the final question is I want to seal the paint and the black wash in I was thinking about using a Clear coat spray on the item, but was wondering if the coat will make the toy hard to move the joints and the transformation. So it is wiser to use a can sprayer (Like can spray paint) A liquiad (like in a spray bottle) or hand paint the unit again with a clear coat of sealer. Can some one answer this simple yet complex question. Thanks :bowdown: 

2. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I use Krylon Crystal Clear gloss spray. I have only done 3 custom paint jobs but I haven't noticed the transformations being any more difficult.

3. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

I use the Rustoleum Automotive Clear coat on my last 2. Looks real good, creats a hard shell and so far does not mess the paint or hinder transformation as long as you dont put too much on.

4. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, it does not matter what you use for a final coat as long as you do ALL of the necessary preparatory work first. It is just like building a house..... if the foundation is weak the rest will fail. Also, as with any type of painting, multiple super thin coats will achieve the best and least restrictive results.

I use 4 kinds of clear depending on the project. 2 different clear gloss and 2 different matte finishes all are automotive grade. I do also like Testors Wet Look quite a bit for a super glossy look.