Customs: Question on Clear Epoxy

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Charlock, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Charlock

Charlock Lighten Up, Francis.

I have an idea for customizing a figure and I'm trying to determine the best method of accomplishing my goal.

Originally, I was thinking of using a cutting tool to cut a "window" into a chest plate and filling it with a cut piece of clear plastic, that way I could place an insignia beneath it and have it show through. The more I think about cutting the figure, though, the more nervous I get. So, my second thought was to simply paint the indented area of the chest plate, apply the insignia and then coat it with clear, two part epoxy.

I've never done either of these things before and I am curious just how "clear" epoxy usually dries, when used as a coating. Also, will it distort the view of the insignia too much to make it plainly visible?

2. Tarphedon

Tarphedon Strategist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Expect to pay a pretty penny for clear epoxy that doesn't turn yellow.

3. Charlock

Is there another coating I could use to replicate a "glass" look?

4. AtomicJones

AtomicJones Banned

Even the best clear epoxy will still get bubbles in it when you mix it. You'll need to use floral resin, Quickwater which is an acrylic resin that's put in vases to solidify silk flowers and stones in place. It cures in 8-10 hours so if the piece is angled or curved you'll need to build a mold around the part, pour the resin taller than the object, then grind it down/polish it clear afterwards. If its a perfectly flat piece then it's much easier to pour the object.

Ask yourself if there's any way you could cut a piece from a CD case or use bubble from an action figure window tho? You can heat and bend both with a hairdryer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charlock

The clear plastic was my original plan. I'm just not excited about the idea of cutting a hole in the chest plate of the figure. It's a Legends size figure, so it's not exactly the largest surface to work with.