Question for those not getting WFC HasLab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nighthawkblack, Aug 3, 2019.

?

What's keeping you from ordering WFC HasLab Unicron

Poll closed Sep 1, 2019.
  1. Saving money and will jump in late

13 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Not happy with the kibble on back or legs

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Think the price is too much for the end product

38 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Have no interest in the character

29 vote(s)
    13.7%
  5. Waiting for something that fits in better with your collection

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Not happy with other design choices

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. The price is not in my budget period

100 vote(s)
    47.2%
  8. Need more time to secure funds, will buy after crowdfund from etailer

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was really hoping for the 2021 Titan to be Unicron’s head alone with a simple playset and tank mode and leftover plastic and tooling budget going into, say, Krannix, a Quintesson Judge, and Primacron reimagined as a Legends robot monkey.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Well, I can't afford it but even if I could I would consider myself mad if I were to get it. There are so many things to enjoy out there, things that I could spend that money on instead of this. I generally get a roughly even amount of enjoyment for the price of toys I get, but have my limits on what a toy is worth. And I think this has met that limit — it's just a big toy and I won't get $575 of fun out of a big toy.

Also I find it quite sketchy how Hasbro is holding such a character behind a pay wall you can't be refunded from if something is wrong; Hasbro has a huge history of QC and design flaws.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hotcakesbot

Hotcakesbot Pancake-former

I think the price is too much for the end product, but I've also never been a big fan of the character's design aesthetic. There's far too much kibble surrounding the figure. While I do admire the level of detail on the figure, Unicron has never been a must-have character for me. I think the only one I've ever owned was the relatively tiny deluxe Unicron that turned into a Cybertronian tank from about a decade ago. Now if Haslab plans a Primus or a Metroplex of a similar size and with an equal amount of detail, I might be interested.

4. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

I have not, nor will I likely ever pay that much for any single Transformer. When something creeps that close to being insurance/mortgage/car payment equivalent, it's not in the budget.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    too big, too expensive. no passion for this character - no matter how movie accurate it is.

i wonder what Hasbro’s backup plan is? like if it doesn’t get funded will they try releasing it 1/2 scale for $200?

• Like Like x 1
  6. neomoz

neomoz Well-Known Member

This poll is missing the already own Unicron option. I have my 30th anniversary platinum edition Unicron, perfectly happy with him.

This new one looks great but the size is a problem, he just takes up too much space. My collection lives in my home office, I don't have a dedicated room required to show piece this guy, that's why my current Unicron fits in nicely with the rest of my movie cast figures on the shelf.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Price not in budget and (which doesn’t seem to be a poll option) it’s just too big for my collection.

8. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would feel MUCH more comfortable crowdfunding “over budget” or “non-commercial” smaller scale figures as the QC issues are most noticeable at the bigger scales.

A $40 Deluxe scale Quintesson with a Voyager tooling budget, for example, or a Legends scale VW licensed bug Bumblebee with Deluxe tooling for $25. Or if you want to get esoteric, maybe $50 for a production ready remake of the 80s Arcee prototype in G1 packaging at the same scale as G1 Hot Rod with a rub sign. Or a headmaster Arcee made from Chromedome’s engineering like they planned but with a new, unique sculpt.

At the smaller scale and price, QC issues are liveable, IMHO.

As for BIG projects, I think the USS Flagg would get a lot more passion. Although if you wanted to really target adult collectors, a table shaped like the Flagg with drawers and water resistant surface while incorporating the tower and turrets makes sense.

The only thing about this Unicron that needs crowdfunding is the detail of the tooling. Whereas G.I.Joe is much less commercial at the moment with a passionate fan base who’d spend a premium.

If they said, “We’re going to remake the entire vintage Joe line, year by year, reconstructing lost tooling” you could get a premium for wave by wave.

Here, it feels like they took a commercial product and made it 25% better at 3x the price.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    While I ended up backing this today I wasnt gonna. Do want to say the reason why I wasn't doesnt seem to be a poll option...and that is perceived lack of value.

Sail Barge was worth more than the price because it was a playset. It allowed for more interaction with your ROTJ figures. It was also your display setting. It was huge, and it came with an exclusive carded figure.

Unicron? He's just a big dumb Transformer. No lights or sounds. Scales with nothing, comes with just a stand, and even though its branded as a Siege figure it has no effect parts. Not even a red light or scanning color part. Its transformation doesnt even justify the price honestly.

I really don't buy the idea that it had to be this pricey as is. I'm only backing this for the investment opportunity, to be totally truthful.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Deltron Magnus

Deltron Magnus TFW's Prettiest Princess

I would really to get Unicron. I concur with some of the criticism of the figure. I would rather it didn't have so much kibble, and it would be nice if it had some gimmicks. At least give us some siege effects parts. I can live with those flaws though, because the sheer coolness of this Unicron outweighs them.

Space? I don't have it at the moment, but I could work something out.

The cost is what gets me. It's not a lack of funds. Although this really isn't the best time for me to be dropping that amount, I could swing it. But I was talking with my Dad about it shortly after it was first announced, and he posed a question to me. I don't remember exactly how he worded it, but basically he asked if what I got out of it would justify the price. Would I really get $575 worth of enjoyment from it?

The answer is no. If I bought Unicron, he would just sit in a case. I would be too worried about breaking him. I'm somewhat of a klutz, and one of my cats is a mischievous little guy. Most likely I would never transform him. It would irritate me to have such an awesome toy that I only looked at through glass and never handled.

I hope the project gets fully backed, but as much I want it, I think my money would be better spent on other things.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The the revelation that seacons will be available through Hasbro pulse, my money is going there. 2× the toy at half the price..

• Like Like x 3
  12. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Hasbro, I know you frequent these boards. If you are truly not in an already molded stage and you are trying to get this made, consider this.

Lose a small percentage of details and keep your kibble since the design is done

Add LEDS and Orson Wells Voice

Include several mini figures that don't look like a squished roach

Raise the price a tad bit and slap the MP label on it

You might get your quota worldwide IMO unless you calculated both MP and Siege collectors in your market analysis.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Careful, I took an enormous amount of shit the last time I suggested lights and sounds! Apparently you haven't realized it's PERFECT the way it is and nobody likes your insinuations that it isn't. I for one agree with you, best of luck.

14. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

It's clearly not perfect lol because they can't get enough orders. I know people go off on others but the numbers are the one thing that is more telling than anyone's opinion.

15. autoclave

autoclave Banned

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Cost, time , possibility out in future production runs etc.
    It's an awesome project in some ways
    Just not a good fit in my future transformer plans right now.

16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    People thought my X-Plus Godzilla habit was expensive....i had a choice between either Unicron or Sakai sculpt Burning Godzilla (Ric exclusive version), Orga, Mothra 1964, AND Sakai Godzilla 1992 with money left over to go towards Mukadender from Ultraman Taro...

I am now just 4 Godzilla monsters away from having that set as complete as i want it (XPlua announced Mecha King Ghodorah is coming soon...then its just Megaguiras, Godzilla 98 and adult Battra to have all the Showa through Millenium monsters represented.

Unicron is nice...but there was just too many other things that combined to be nicer. I hope the toy funds so everyone else can get it.

17. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about it & I would much rather have a Fortress Maximus or Metroplex this size. I think that would be a lot of fun to actually play with as a toy. And it would be a great center/display piece. I could see me adding all the other base/city transformers around it in a million different configurations. It could provide endless hours of fun. Just like the current titans & my new Omega Supreme. But when I had Armada Unicron there wasn't much I could do with it. I flew the planet mode around a little bit & just posed the robot mode & it just stood there. It wasn't much fun as far as playability went. I got tired of it fast & it just sat there. But I'm pretty sure I would never get tired of a city/base that big. Especially if you're a CHUG or Legends scale collector. And then you can create a bunch of unofficial fan modes. I would probably back a Fort Max or Metroplex. And I would go absolutely apeshit over an RID Brave Max. I think they would keep most collectors, especially those with small children, a lot more entertained than Unicron ever could.

I was also thinking, based off a few comments in this thread, what if this doesn't get backed & Hasbro just made it a smaller regular titan class in the main line for the normal $160? I think a lot of people would prefer a regular titan class Unicron & Primus. It would be better all around for the price, size & weight.

18. Synth

Synth Well-Known Member

For me it's mostly price and as for size Unicron is technically too small - it's unrealistic to expect a true to scale not to mention the size and price.
    I would be ok with only the head in decent size to represent Unicron in my display.

19. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

I am really impressed with the figure, I hope it gets produced and into the hands of people who want it. And honestly, if I had the money to throw around responsibly, I'd be in on the kill taker, too. Buuuuut, partially because of the size, partially becuase of what I couldn't get as a result, partially because of trying to be responsible with my $, and (sigh... really sorry to say this) but I think Zeta's is better.

20. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    My reasons are pretty much what others have said.

1. 575 dollars is a little over two car payments for me. There's no way I can justify spending that much on one figure.

2. I have no real place to put it.

3. He looks way too complicated and large for me to have any real fun with him. He'd stay in one mode pretty much all the time.

4. I have Unicron from transformers: Armada. And I really like that toy.

5. I am... not that big a fan of the 1986 movie anymore, if I ever was.

6. I'm actually starting to get sick of Unicron overall.

Fior those who want him, I sincerely hope he gets made. But I can't preorder one in good conscience.