Question about toy value of a g1 misb

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Golden Age, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Prices on items aren't inflated if people are willing to fork over the money for them. I know when I buy a high-priced item, I'm not thinking about its effect on the fandom, I'm thinking about how much I want that figure.

2. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

so what would be a fair price for a g1 misb gimlock?

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd look for $800+

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I remember as a 10 year old staring at rows of G1 TF boxes at a local Target and drawing toward Dinobots at the time. It's hard to believe all those Grimlocks are now worth $$$. If only I had the foresight to buy them all at the time. :banghead: 

5. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Some dealers do find good deals in Singapore and Japan just to put them up on eBay for way more than it costed - if that's not a scalper, my bad, you can fill in the right name for this very well known character. I know I found some sweet deals when I was in those places, but I'm a collector so I kept them for myself.

Also, check auctions.yahoo.co.jp and you find a sample of some decent prices. I understand it takes more effort, but if you want I can point (and I believe not only me) a dozen Singapore professional [scalpers] in activity on eBay right now - they do find the deals very easily, and they do keep their eyes on similar items just to make sure how high those will sell. Sometimes they even combine prices for similar items (pay attention to auctions.yahoo.com.sg) or test your limit by biding great amounts then retracting to bid just a bit lower than your max (been a victim once) or winning then backing up and "offering" the item for you for the max amount (been a victim twice).

Well, they shouldn't be $1,000,000. There's a limit to a "rare" value increase, and if that depends on how deep someone's pocket is, fine - it's most likely a matter of opinion. For me it's not normal, and for the good of the fandom shouldn't be accepted as such.

Summing up, you can price a MISB Grimlock $800, but you must label it "ridiculous", not normal. We all felt ridiculous at least once when paying for those prices, haven't we? :) 

6. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

what about $600 for a misb Grimmy? Better but still rediculous?

7. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

anyone?

8. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

People can give out stink all they like and complain that dealers are taking advantage. If it weren't for dealers, collecting TFs would be much more tricky in general.

It's a double edged sword.

The fact is that a decent MISB Grimlock is NOT cheap. The Dinobots, and Grimlock in particular are much beloved characters.

The going rate is proportionate with what other, quality examples of the 'key' characters are going for.

In the speciffic case of the auction link posted, check the question about where the toy was made.

I dont know if Dinobots were made outside of Japan or not, but that seems to have had some upwards effect on the price.

It's not a conspiracy on the part of the dealers, the fact is a lot of Transfans are impatient and will pay thru
    the nose. Look at what the Alt Prime went for; $103.00 + shipping from China for a toy that will be mass distributed in a few months.