Question about going 3rd Party

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by mysticbiscuit, Jul 15, 2014.

1. mysticbiscuit

mysticbiscuit Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, so very recently I've started noticing some of the awesome things that going 3rd party has to offer. Everything looks very innovative and there are aome figures I feel that Hasbro doesn't offer. Since I'm new to it I had some questions about the quality of figures, which are better than others and which companies are really solid and reliable. 3rd party figures are more expensive than Hasbro stuff and I don't wanna blow money on something when I could get a different 3rd party figure that's better.

2. Felixman

Felixman Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to work up a short list of figures you REALLY like and go hit up video reviews on youtube. Between TJ, Peaugh, Vangelus and others the overwhelming majority of these have been explored in detail. Many of them will often mention any known wide-spread issues with the figure.

As a quick short-hand, after spending almost two years around here it seems that Fansproject, Mastermind Creation, Fanstoys and Make Toys all have solid reputations at the moment, with even their detractors usually admitting the builds are fine, it's just the chosen designs they dislike.

TFC, Warbotron, Toyworld, and Perfect Effect are a bit more of a mixed bag and opinions of their work range from item to item and person to person.

Keith's Fantasy Club seems to have the lowest rep, and I've heard a lot of people either avoid them or approach with great caution.

3. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

Felixman gives some good advice. Be careful though. Once you walk the 3rd party path forever will it dominate your destiny.

4. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Step one is finding something you like. Step two is research via threads here, youtube, reviews, etc.

Felix is spot on. Anything recent from those companies are solid. Doesn't mean there aren't common issues with specific figures. Do your research. The second list does have more variable quality depending on what you want from them but that doesn't mean they're awful or will crumble in your hands.

5. Lordsloth

Lordsloth Well-Known Member

So far I only have 2 feral con figures (bovis/fortis) as far as third party goes so I can only attest to MMC.

Their build quality is solid. Plastic quality is really good. Paintwork is not completely flawless but definitely no worse than hastak does it (if not in fact better). Joints are tight and feel like they can take some wear and tear (though ofcourse only time will tell on that one).

There is the odd assembly issue though (bovis buttcrack, bovis/fortis elbow misassembly).
    They are very good about replacement parts though as further feralcon figures have come standard with replacement parts for the above mentioned problems.

Overall I'd say I'm quite pleased with the MMC figures I own. From what I can tell from video reviews, their other figures from the reformatted line are similarly good. If I recall, some of their older hearts of steel/knight morpher stuff is a bit fragile and should be handled with some care. (but seriously, 'handle with care' should be the default state of mind for the generally expensive 3P stuff).

I am hoping Maketoys will turn out to be as good as I have preorders running for some of their stuff. The internet buzz on them is good in any case.

6. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    This is spot on IMO.

7. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Felixman covered a lot of good info.

Get used to delays and initially listed ETAs getting pushed back pretty consistently. Some companies are better at making customers aware of delays and why it's happening then others; as good as MakeToys stuff is, we went MONTHS without any word beyond what retailers knew (which wasn't much more than us) regarding what the hell was delaying Chaos Paladin for so long.

Additionally, lately you don't have to worry about getting preorders in on stuff right away unless it's something with an early bird price and you want to secure the cheaper rate. Either way, stuff doesn't seem to sell out quickly anymore (even FansProject's stuff of late can hang around for a bit).

Some companies have had a frustrating habit of releasing one version with colors that are "close enough" but not quite there, then subsequently release a more accurate version (iGear and KFC, I think, are known for this...Unique Toys is about to do this with their Mania King/Galvatron). The good thing about stuff not selling out right away much anymore is you can afford to wait and see for a bit if something more to your liking, color-wise, is coming down the pike after all.

That said, if there's something you want, keep an eye on available stock at the various retailers. Though it's not as easy to check BBTS' overall stock anymore like it used to be, when stock starts to dwindle, you may want to make a quick decision regarding whether you want it because it could sell out quickly at that point as others notice this as well and jump on the remaining stock. Restocks do happen, but they vary and aren't the easiest thing to predict, plus there's always the possibility the price of a restock will have risen by the time it comes in stock.

8. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Tough question.

You're going to get different answers from different people. Some people are fanboi/fangurls of a company no matter what they do or do not do, some people want the head of a designer on a stake for giving a toy gold detailing instead of silver. Many, many, many different sides.

My advice is do some homework on the ones you're interested in. Youtube for reviews, there are reviews here on TFW2005.

Transformers 3rd Party Reviews - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    Transformers 3rd Party Video Reviews - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

9. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

yes / lots and lots of reviews
    you can burn up a lot of $$ so keep your self on a limit
    if I bought everything cool to me I would be on the street
    and it would be really hard to protect all those nice transformers on the streets

have a direction for your collection

10. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

This.

However, I'd add that Warbotron seems fine so far (they're just new to the game; hard to build up a rep with two figures released so far), and that NEWER PE products seem to be much better than older ones.

PE's motobots had some minor QC issues (not universal in either case) but were otherwise spectacular. PE's Warden and the new repaint are flat-out perfect, and represent some of the best of what you can buy from 3rd party companies.

I'd add iGear to one of the mixed bag companies. Some of what they make (iGear Masterpiece seekers and the newer Raptor Squadron) is amazingly good. Other products have been less than stellar.

Unique Toys (UT) is another mixed bag...but mostly because their first offering was disappointing. Their newer products have been pretty great (Maniaking is one of my favorites, even if they are assholes for releasing a paint scheme I prefer after I'd already bought the original).

Planet X is great...even though they've only released two things so far. Their notSwoop is great. Their FoC Omega Supreme is absolutely perfect...as long as you like FoC Omega Supreme. Not everybody likes the FoC look.

But really - focus in on the figures that look amazing to you, and then check out the individual reviews. This really is the best bet - you'll find out about common QC issues (if any), and get a more complete analysis of the figure so you don't get disappointed with, say, the articulation after dropping cash for a figure.

11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

:) 

12. coldbotman

coldbotman Well-Known Member

I would say why aren't you going 3rd party. Official stuff is fine for pure toy collecting if toys are all you really want. But if you want collectors worthy stuff, buy 3rd party. They don't make it cheap so little billy can smash it to bits.

13. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    + 1 to what Felixman said.

Once you know what you really want, check out the recommended companies first, and other than Fans Toys, Mastermind Creations, Fans Project, Make Toys, also add in Planet X, they seem to be doing quality wise. From Perfect Effect, the recent "Warden" figure is getting a lot of praises this year. Good luck

14. joespags15

joespags15 Well-Known Member

This is a very true statement, I bought some KO Fansproject stuff a couple years ago and was able to really stay out of the 3P scene. Then I splurged and bought Hercules, that turned out to be my gateway drug. 3P stuff is addicting, there is way to much cool stuff out and coming out. Try to keep a direction, I unfortunately have yet to find mine.

15. mysticbiscuit

mysticbiscuit Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks for all the input guys. I've been spending tons of time on YouTube checking out reviews and PE Warden and FansProject Columpio have really caught my eye. It's great hearing feedback from everyone in here. I might take the plunge with Warden and see where it goes.

16. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Yes, I think Warden is an excellent figure, but just threat it more a fantastic robot than a transformer, as it doesn't have a fun or easy transformation. Oh, and keep in mind for the transformation part, most other 3rd parties aren't like that, but then again, not all 3rd party product have high quality build and paint app (probably the best in paint apps) like Warden does. You are going to have fun with it I am sure. Good Luck

17. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Also, if you're into FansProject stuff, it's important to note that they have a nasty habit of suddenly revealing items on us when they're less than a month or two away from release.

See: Colompio. We didn't know it existed, and SUDDENLY it's for sale at TFcon less than a week later. Hell, they didn't even tip their hand with the third party G2 Breakdown redeco.

18. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Companies with fantastic track records of quality:

Maketoys, FansProject, MMC, Mech Ideas, FanToys, Perfect Effect, PlanetX - Buy anything they make if you want it.

Companies with up and down quality you might wanna be cautious about:

TFC, igear, KFC, ToyWorld, Unique Toys.

Though TFC and ToyWorld in particular have been improving greatly and are pretty safe bets now.

Companies you want to actively avoid or be extremely cautious with:

BTS, CrazyDevy, Xtransbots, DrWu, Xovergen.

Warbotron is a new company making the current enormous Bruticus a lot of people are hyped for (myself included) so far the initial figure was a little spotty (AirBurst) but the 2nd (HeavyNoisy) is really nice and bodes well for the remaining three.

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Among my personal collection are pieces made by Maketoys, MMC, Perfect Effect, Fansproject, Fanstoys, TFC and Warbotron. In regards to build quality, everything I've bought is either at the same level as an official Hasbro or Takara product or greatly surpasses it. The only one that gave me a significiant qc issue was Warbotron's Air Burst and from what I can tell I was just really unlucky with that one. Do your research, watch reviews and save up! This crap gets expensive quick :lol 

20. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

Find some review guys on Youtube like peaugh, TJ Ducket, Vangelus, emgo316, etc. Watch people actually handle the product before you buy it. And when you do it buy it, buy it from a retailer you can trust with a proven track record of customer service. It's OK to occasionally get a lemon when dealing with a $15 Deluxe TF from TRU. It's not OK to get a $100 lemon.