Question About Combiner Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TubbyChasis, Oct 4, 2016.

1. TubbyChasis

TubbyChasis Doofy-ass Smilebot

This has been bugging me for a while now, but where did the information regarding Tatsunoko's involvement on the series come from?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What?? There was no Tatsunoko on Combiner Wars. I reject that completely. The worst thing Tatsunoko ever produced is ten billion times better than the best half second of Combiner Wars. Maybe there's a guy named Jim Tatsunoko living in El Segundo, and he animated Combiner Wars on his Dell laptop one afternoon?

I flat out refuse to believe the studio that produced all my favorite super hero cartoons of the 1970s plus 150 metric tons of great robot action for more than 30 years had anything to do with this chunk of shit. That's like telling me Orson Welles directed Caddyshack 2. The devil, you say.

3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Caddyshack 2 :lol 

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Have you seen Gatchaman Crowds? I'm just sayin'.

Anyway, Machinima probably did the actual animation, or there's not much reason to involve them. Someone at Tatsunoko probably created the character models or something. Pure speculation, but that's what would make sense to me.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I've seen that; I've seen their Mach Go Go Go remake... nothing compares to the horror of Combiner Wars. Combiner Wars makes Gatchaman Crowds look like Batman TAS combined with Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell SAC.

There are things about Gatchaman Crowds that I strongly dislike. But there is nothing about it that was incompetent. It's professionally produced on all levels. And they had actual writers!

So, completely different than Combiner Wars.

Video is not available in my country (Japan, ironically). The article is vague, and does not mention in what capacity Tatsunoko was allegedly involved. I still call bullshit.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. TubbyChasis

Why is it that it both answers my question, and yet still makes it completely vague?

I have. It's not my cup of tea, but at least it's better than CW.

8. Nevermore

News Credits:
    It's an official press release. How is it bullshit?

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's not even worded like a press release; it's worded like a report. It talks about Hasbro and Machinima as if they were separate from whoever was writing the article.

"Their."

Anyway, there is nothing remotely Tatsunoko-ish about Combiner Wars nor the lack of quality within. And the article doesn't say anything about what Tatsunoko supposedly did. Maybe they only advised? Or they did a few digital background paintings? But there's no way in hell they animated that hot mess. There's just no way. If you can point us to some specifics, please give us a link. I'm not going to believe just because an article on some random website says something.

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The same credit list is also included here:
    Transformers Combiner Wars Trailer Reveals a Bigger Threat
    SDCC '16: First Official Trailer For TRANSFORMERS: COMBINER WARS Released

So it's not just "an article on some random website".

Even the press release itself was reported by several sites:
    Machinima and Hasbro Launch Trailer For Transformers: Combiner Wars During SDCC Panel
    Bam! And Here’s The Official Trailer For “Transformers: Combiner Wars”

Now I admit that it's weird that there was never anything aside from this recurring credit list.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If everything can be traced back to the same article that is just being repeated numerous places, it doesn't mean any more than it already does. How many times have we seen something like this spread across the internet, but when you look, all leads back to a single misleading misquote or misunderstanding? More times than any of us can count.

Until I can read something official that states SPECIFICALLY what role Tatsunoko played, I will continue to believe it is something extremely minor and that they are just cashing in on the Tatsunoko name to try to lend credibility to their amateur hour hack work. I see nothing in Combiner Wars to make me think Tatsunoko played any part in what I saw. I am a huge fan of Tatsunoko -- a bigger fan of theirs than of Transformers, honestly -- and after everything I've seen from them over the past 40 years, I can say with some authority that they could not produce something as incompetent on all levels as Combiner Wars was, even if they were doing it on purpose as an act of deliberate sabotage. They simply aren't capable of this level of ineptitude.

12. TubbyChasis

Considering what's been presented thus far, and with no specification as to what they did (not even a mention of it on their website, even), I'm wondering if either:

a) They quit somewhere during production, forcing Machinima to finish it themselves (though brag that Tatsunoko still animated it).
    b) Were only on the production committee, but didn't touch any part of the animation aspect.
    c) Oversaw the animation, but subcontracted it to some unidentified lesser studio.
    d) *insert other reason here*

Because just from looking at it, for as bad as Tatsunoko got, even the poor animation of Macross or its ilk looked 10 times better than Combiner Wars.

13. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Every animation studio's produced some real stinkers while also making real great stuff. Like Cartoon Network - they've made great stuff like Samurai Jack and our very own Transformers Animated, but they also made total shit like Problem Solverz and Squirrel Boy.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Animated was not animated by Cartoon Network. It was animated by The Answer Studio, MOOK DLE., and Studio 4°C.

And Tatsunoko has never produced anything anywhere near the stinktitude of Combiner Wars. It's not just bad, it's incompetent. If it was just bad, I could accept their possible involvement. But Combiner Wars was animated by people who didn't know their jobs, and that is impossible for such an experienced studio to pretend.

15. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Animated wasn't directly animated by Cartoon Network. It's almost impossible to find a TV cartoon actually animated in America. Animated was produced by CN.

Here's the thing, though - you shouldn't blame Tatsunoko for this. They didn't script this. They weren't the ones who decided how much their animation budget would be. Hasbro funded this and Machinima scripted this. They had to work with what they were given, and what they were given was a pathetic budget and a god-awful script.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm not blaming Tatsunoko for a bad story. I'm disbelieving their involvement because it was so poorly animated on all levels (minus a couple nice outer space background digital paintings). Staging, timing, rhythm, arcs, editing, everything. I mean, it's all beyond poor. It does not look like the work of a studio that's been doing animation for two years, much less 54 years. There's one shot that stands out in my memory from one of the later episodes, where Optimus does this kind of handstand-flip thing, and it just looks awful. There's no sense of rhythm or bounce or weight whatsoever... Tatsunoko has been animating characters doing exactly that kind of move for longer than many people here have been alive. They can do that kind of thing IN THEIR SLEEP. There is no way they did that.

Telling me Tatsunoko animated this mess is about as believable as telling me the USA 2012 Olympic basketball team, including Kobe and LeBron, lost to a junior high school girls team. Forgive me for being skeptical.

17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Believe what you want but by all indications they were involved in some way

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What does that even mean? What I and the OP are asking for is CLARIFICATION.

What "indications" are you talking about? Why not link to the sources of your information (if you have any)? What is "SOME WAY"? That's what I really want to know. Did they do some teeny-tiny barely noticeable minor thing for one infinitesimally small part of the production, and then Hasbro merely cashed in on the legitimacy their name would bring? I could see that. And that would explain why the one single article/pseudo-press release we HAVE seen doesn't explain jack squat about what Tasunoko supposedly did. All they say is who Tasunoko is.

If you have information, share it. If all you have is an opinion, it's not worth more than anyone else's.

19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You yourself said you can't believe they had any involvement with the project. Hasbro/machinimas/who Evers press release states otherwise. It doesn't matter what they did to collaborate on the project, seems like nobody knows anyway. However they were involved in some way. I doubt you will ever get the answers you want to your satisfaction, but they were involved with this series, even if only by having their name attached

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Wow, what a complete non-answer.

What I said is that there's no way they animated this mess.

Still waiting for anyone to provide a link clarifying HOW Tasunoko was supposedly involved. Because it sure as hell wasn't the animation.

Anyone.