Question about "Armada" Unicron knee issue

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jbwkkl, Jul 30, 2017.

1. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue, or if anyone may have made a replacement part for this..

After being alone in storage for awhile, I found that my Unicron now had a floppy knee. (was laid flat in tote with nothing on him to place unnecessary pressure on the joint) Turns out the white plastic, rectangular "lock" of the ratchet joint, had cracked and moved OUT of position. So, like MP-9 Rodimus, has anyone made replacement "knee caps" for Unicron?

Hoping I simply had a factory defect, and other collector's don't have this issue, but very surprised with what had happened.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I remember one of the knees on mine breaking on me, with part of the ratchet itself falling out. This was years ago. I don't know if anything was made to fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Field94

Field94 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Huh, I thought mine was an isolated incident since I'd never heard of this happening and it was even second hand and at the time both ratchets were fine. Curious as to if that will be the case on mine when I finally go and buy proper screwdrivers to disassemble the whole thing. Could potentially ask around and see if a replacement part is on shapeways or if enough interest exists for the part to get developed and thus sold, especially since a Unicron was released fairly recently and even Energon Scorpinok attracted enough attention to see parts get made. In the meantime, you MAY be able to just stuff material in there to give it enough resistance to be a friction hinge. Currently my Unicron is in storage but when he is displayed, the other leg and the rest of the joints hold enough to keep him standing in decent enough poses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Yeah, mine stands just fine despite the busted knee ratchet, as his other knee is still intact.

5. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Not Unicron, but one of my MP-01 Prime's right Knees did the same thing.

6. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

I just thought it was really unusual for the piece to break the way it did under zero pressure. Granted, the piece that broke is essentially a hollow rectangle, but to break while stored.. Guess I was hoping, for the collective fanbase, that mine was an exception not a showing of "things to come".

7. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure finding a Unicron leg shouldn't be too difficult.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I wonder if this affects the Takara 2010 release? Mine is still sealed in the box.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

For the record, I haven't had any problems with mine yet. He's pretty beat overall too. Got him off eBay years ago for the price of a deluxe just to fill the collection gap.

10. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I came in here because I wanted to know "what knee issue?" because mine had been standing in robot mode since the day I got him and he's had no issues that I know of.

Heck, for a few years he was holding a family portrait in his hands.

DISCLAIMER: I own the original Armada Unicron. Your version may vary.

11. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

Huh, my 2002 Unicron has a floppy knee too. Now I'm curious to check if I have the same busted ratchet issue.

12. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no problems with mine. its the 2002 version.

13. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    My Energon Unicron can't even stand because of his knees

14. kjata

kjata Well-Known Member

My Armada Unicron's ratchets are still solid.

15. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

Glad to hear that, for the most part, it seems the knee issue has been effecting the minority.

*Just a heads ups though for those planning to open their Unicron knees.. Plan for his parts to be a Royal Pain in the A** when you try re-assembling. A couple of small parts will want to fall out of the lower legs while you try aligning the leg panels.

16. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I got one second hand with one floppy and one good leg. Got another leg to repair the ratchet.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'll have to check mine. I have the Armada, Energon and 2010 Takara versions of the mold, so I'll see if any of them may have the issue.

18. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I never busted the knee joint. But the hip ratchet busted on mine while I had him on my shelf in a wide stance for a few years. Those ratchets just aren't meant to last long compared to the weight of the figure, I guess. Mind you, this was the third supreme class figure Hasbro had made over the course of several years (Cheetor and Air Attack Optimus Primal being the two prior ones), so there was something of a learning curve there, I think. Black Energon Unicron has been fine for me. And subsequent supreme class figures seem to be okay...just 2002 Unicron has some ratchet problems.

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Any of you ever have the 2002 Armada Unicron with a loose knee? I had mine stored for a long time and when moving it today, I heard a snap, then the right knee went loose. I'm guessing the ratchet broke.

If this happened to your 2002 Unicron, were any of you able to fix it? Also does anyone have pictures of the ratchet, especially pictures of a broken one? I was wondering if it could be saved/salvaged.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

If it's like mine when you take it apart the little white piece has broken that supply's the friction for the rachet detente. It's not a spring backed ratchet. All you need to do is cut a piece of styrene or other material and use it to fill the gap. Making it one solid piece.

I've done this to several junker Unicrons that I used years ago for combiner parts. It's a really simple fix, if you have issues let me know and later on this week I can dig out a junker and get you pics, but it should be pretty obvious what I'm talking as about when you take him apart.

• Like Like x 3