Heavy/Scratch: Quaternion - original character 3D printed

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Quaternion, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Quaternion

Quaternion Gimbal Lock Resistant

I have a Makerbot 3D printer so a few months ago I decided to design and print my own original transformer and name him after my long time forum name - Quaternion - kinda like "If I were a transformer, I would be..."

Backstory
    I haven't worked out his backstory yet entirely (I am not basing it on my own life or anything). He will probably be an Autobot by affiliation but is primarily a lone wolf. He is known to be a bot of few words, straight and to the point, and loathes small talk. He prefers using his blades but will use the turret if he is in grave danger. He probably has a dark past or something or he lost some one close to him in the war etc etc.

Modeling/Scale
    He is about leader/ultra class size. He transforms into a blue (my favorite color) Helitank - half apache helicopter / half tank - because I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be a helicopter or a tank. There are some parts of the helicopter body, the face, and the tank turret that were not originally my 3D models. I got them from thingiverse.com and then heavily altered them. The rest was done from scratch on tinkercad.com

Articulation
    He has the following articulation:
    universal neck
    universal shoulder joints
    double jointed elbow bend
    elbow swivel
    wrist swivel
    ankle tilt
    universal hip joint
    upper thigh swivel
    turret swivel
    turret barrel up/down rotation
    spinnable rotor blades

Accessories:
    also the rotor blades detach and can become two swords or a hand held spinning rotor. The turret can be a backpack or detaches to be hand held too.

Transformation
    His transformation is rather simple and mimics many standard transformations of transformers. But note that he does fully transform and is not a parts former.

Pictures
    I haven't painted him yet but I am planning sliver and yellow highlights. There is a digibash in there to show a potential paint scheme.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

That is so epic! I love seeing projects like this...And I would love to do something of this caliber. So awesome mate!

3. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    neat. wish i could do this stuff.

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    pretty darn cool...

5. Drawingist Musa

Drawingist Musa Funsize Bot

Twitter:
    I am seriously impressed you managed to get so much detail in his face with a makerbot printer! He seems like a good lad, and you did a great and creative job with the altmodes too. Once you get him painted up, definitely takes some pictures with some other bots eh?

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    SO COOL! damn

7. Quaternion

It looks even better in real life since the headshot pic is a little blurry. My printer is a Makerbot replicator 5th generation. I have successfully printed things as low as .05mm resolution before. I believe it can go as low as .03mm (although it takes forever to print anything at that resolution). I think Quaternion's face was at .1mm, which is the default for "high quality". The rest is at .3. Its all printed in PLA plastic. I think hasbro uses ABS plastic.

Also, most of him was printed at 100% infill, which means it is solid plastic. I haven't weight him but he has a good heft to him compared to Hasbro transformers of a similar size. but really i did that to increase durability. Otherwise its more possible to break at the joints. I even made some swivel joints that you can put a tiny screw in to eliminate breakage.
    The only thing ive ever had break is a swivel joint so i found they needed extra support.

8. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Dan fine work. Looking forward to more pics

9. Rafael_Oliveira

Rafael_Oliveira Oliver Raf Studio

It's good to see original toy designs made by fans. The overall look is very G1ish and unique by itself. I love it, and hope the final result ends in a impressive way!

10. metallifreak27

metallifreak27 Active Member

Any reason for the extra bit of plastic at the end of the barrel? Love it, just that part has me puzzled! Would love to get 1 from u if u ever decide to sell

11. Koldskool

Koldskool Neon Carnivore

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    That's impressive as hell. Great work.

12. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sensing that this guy is a tank/copter triple changer and the part you're talking about is the tailfin.

13. Quaternion

yes, the helicopter fin is on the end of tank barrel. He is not really a triple changer though. He just turns into a helitank :) 

14. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why not mod it to be one then? The rotors could detach, fold up, and store under the tank mode. but looks cool like a super space tank as is. Have the nosecone fold into the canopy area. (Or maybe just blunt it a bit, DOTM Skyhammer-style.) Two little mods and voila, triple changer! It's much, MUCH more cooler and involved than a helitank.

15. metallifreak27

metallifreak27 Active Member

Will this cool dude be available to buy by any chance?

16. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Awesome work, huge props for doing an original design!