Quality Control Issues or Just Whiners?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scorpion, May 31, 2009.

1. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

lol Why would it make them cry?

2. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

LOL No poll!? I'd actually cast a vote.

Whiners, I say. That should be no surprise. I make my mind known in every "zomg qc ishooez!!1!" thread that's made.

Not that there aren't genuine issues out there, but the majority of "problems" stated on these boards are not genuine Quality Control issues. One toy with one problem is not "quality control."

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've yet to buy anything that's had quality control issues since I got back into collecting with the exception of my HC Red Alert's right arm breaking off as I was transforming him for the first time. That's the only problem I've had, out of over 200 figures. That seems like a pretty good percentage to me.

4. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

This is nothing new, that's what happens when you send Uncle Hasbro your figures. You get "A figure of equal value." Not the same exact figure you sent them.

That's why I tend to exchange/repair/live with it, depending on what happened to the figure.

Sorry that happened though, I still never did see WreckGar. Kind of a bummer.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a ton of TFs and in my experience TFs seem to have very good quality control compared to most other mass-produced toy lines with similar target audiences and prices. People expect too much sometimes. These aren't high end collector pieces, you can't judge them on that kind of harsh curve. For what they are, I think they're some of the best executed toys on the market.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The best thing to do if you want a "perfect" bot is wait a month or two to determine if their are any major concerns or issues with the figure. I cant think of any bot I ever got that was bad enough to return except one universe sideswipe who was broke in package. I'm not gonna waste my time or hasbro's for scuffed paint or anything like that.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've run into legitimate concerns (the biggest being the 'sticky paint' on the clear parts of some early Universe and Animated toys), but most of the time I see it as a few people being more picky than the average. There's one or two around here who state so many QC problems (as in NOTHING is even adequate) that lead me to believe they are either the unluckiest toy buyers on Earth, or they talked so much shit to Hasbro that they're now being singled out by a conspiracy to give them the factory rejects. :) 

8. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll admit that I'm a bit of a paint snob. I don't care how rare a toy is. If it looks like it was painted by a ******ed monkey, I won't buy it. I must have seen 40 Sideswipes this week and didn't buy any because they all had flaws of some kind.

I was really hoping that the recent price increases would result in better QC, but, looking at some of the ROTF toys, that obviously isn't happening.

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The smaller one looks like shit, took 'em a Masterpiece toy to make that design look decent!

:cool: 

Also yeah I agree, still got NO QC ISSUES AT ALL other than a bit baddly applied paint in two or three figures.

10. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    In the volumes the toys are produced in, faulty ones getting through is enevitable

11. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Sideways (not sideswipe) I am disgusted with at my stores. I got one with good paint. But that was after digging through pegs for a while.

Sideways just seems to get easily dinged grey paint. We would have fewer of these kind of quality control problems if the packageing was a bit nicer forgoing twist ties for Heavy tape and a tighter fitting plastic shell case.

I may be whining a bit there. But I'm trying to be constructive. Animated starscream had mechanical problems for people who yanked the ties out. (broken hands)

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That IS true, thankfully Hasbro said that after the movie line they are thinking of making the packages smaller with no twistie ties.

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I certainly believe that there are issues...and I think it's terrible that Hasbro won't replace a toy with the same one...,but I find it hard to believe that (if you listen to some people on the boards) so many of the figures have major flaws. I buy a lot of Transformers and have very few issues...so I can't see how that many issues escape me. I'm not that lucky

14. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I disagree. I bought alot of different molds from different lines, and I had a lot of problems with QC. Granted you will have problems with toys because stuff happens and you cannot control everything or prevent problems, but with as many problems with figures I have bought is just flat out BS. One of the main reasons I no longer buy newer Transformers.

15. JPJappic

JPJappic As you command Megatron.

I had issues with two of the ROTF figures I purchased.

I couldn't get the peg in the right leg to go into the hole when transforming him into the tank mode. Mind you this isn't a huge deal since he's going to be in robot mode anyhow.

Secondly I had an issue with Sideswipe. They put in the wrong piece of plastic for the right door / window piece where it's supposed to fold in to the back near the shoulder. As a result I can't fully transform his back shoulder and it looks weird. I may purchase another but I don't know yet.

16. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In most cases, the dinged paint isn't due to the packaging. At the factory, the toys are all tossed into bins where they all rub on each other, causing scratches and dings. I'm not sure why this happens more on the silver colored paint. Maybe its not as durable?

17. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    Some QC issues, but mainly people complaining when something didn't match up to their standards or original thoughts on it.

18. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

people are whining, they make to big a deal

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I think there are definitely legitimate quality control issues with some figures, a lot of the threads I've seen have struck me as people just being overly picky about the appearance of the paint applications. Someone gets a figure with a paint application that's misaligned by half a millimeter and they're on the boards complaining about "quality control". That's not a "quality control" problem, that's random, minor natural variance between figures. Even figures that are missing a few minor paint applications, since I doubt every figure is inspected before leaving the factory (too labor-intensive), I don't really count s quality control problems (and I had one of those in Animated).

IMO, a real quality control problem is something endemic to a virtually every copy of a figure, but that never seems to get caught. Like the sticky paint on the TFU Prowl mold.

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Well, if you check the feedback forum on him, this is not a quality conntrol problem, this is you mistransforming him. You need to rotate his hips further. When you do, it should make a transforming sound, then the peg tabs in easily.

As far as the topic, prople who dig through 40 figures and can't find one with decent paint have deeper issues than QC, it is a $10 toy, not a new car or something. I doubt that there isn't one acceptible one out of 40 figures. In the past I have read people taking back a toy three or four times because they don't like the joints, paint, etc. Most of the people complaining are probably the same people who complain that the cashier didn't know when any new transformers were coming in, or better yet, ask the guy in produce. Gee, Walmart has 100,000+ items, I bet the guy stocking lettuce can tell me when the new Skywarp exclusive is coming in. Outside of missing/borken/reversed pieces, you shouldn't have this many problems people. And you wonder why employees won't help you. Ever consider that it is you and not them?