Q for people who only buy official products

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by batfan007, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

And 3rd Party isn't making 100,000 figures for 10 year olds. They're making runs of like 2000 for the hardcore collector...most of which will buy the Hasbro versions as well if/when a similar product is released.

2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm missing the point.
    Is that supposed to excuse it altogether and make it okay?

3. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    ^ This, this is truth.

4. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Ya know?

3Ps are all creative and stuff. Some even think they're better and stuff.

What I just don't get is why do they still need to infringe on somebody else's current IP.

Why don't the 3P makers just make and sell original mechas and stuff?

I'm sure the 3P fans will still buy 'em and support 'em...

5. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    3rd Parties don't steal IPs from car manufacturers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No sirree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not something 3rd parties do. Nope. Don't know what you're talking about.

6. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given that Shockwave is a major character and has been revisited several times including Energon, Alternators, Animated and DOTM. I can safely say if 3P didn't make a version, Shockwave still would have come out.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Side Burn wasn't marketed as a Dodge Viper.

So why did they get into trouble?

Because they made a figure that looked like a Dodge Viper, regardless of how they marketed it. Hell, they could have marketed it as a peanut butter and jelly and they still would have gotten in trouble for making an unlicensed car. It was only after the legal issues that "Dodge Viper" started to appear on packages.

So contorting the issue to say that it's OG for HASBRO to do it, but not OK for 3P. Just admit it: 3P does to HASBRO what HASBRO does to the car and jet companies.

8. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The person who started this thread seems to have a legitimate question. I don't have hardly and 3p, and the reason is: My perception is traditional 3p(FansToys, FansProject, etc) are not worth what they're asking. I don't think of them as too expensive in that I could buy them if I wanted. I think of them as being way overpriced.

I do have a Cloud9 quakeblast and Weijang OS MPP10B because I think they're reasonably priced and I like them.

9. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Ah, the 3P defense force (in a thread where the question was posed to non 3P buyers...only)...oh how their toys needed your aid.

Regardless of your argument... At least the 100,000 kids toys Takara makes are cheaper and I don't have to feel like I shouldn't touch them past a few times because if I break something I'll need to pass on like 6 official Deluxe figures to replace it.

10. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

You seemed to imply that it excused HasTak for their IP theft...

My whole point is for anyone that protests 3rd Party due to IP theft, why don't they take any issue when HasTak does it?

11. siamese goat

siamese goat Hellstomper

For me its cost, I know hasbro makes more and can lower price but I can not give 100 for a figure that hasbro will have a similar version for a fraction later.

12. treatment

I'm puzzled by this claim.

Is there any proof and such that HasTak doesn't pay royalties and licenses to whoever owns the IP for whatever they base their toys upon?

Is it all some kind of fan-fiction?

13. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Oh, and Willis isn't a Jeep, Sphinx isn't a Ligier, None of the Trailbreakers are Toyotas... Nope, not at all.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    As a fellow customizer... just calling out as it is.

Got an official license to sell it?

So what about those who cast parts to use instead of always buying figs to use?

What about those of us who model and print parts instead of casting them?

We are pirating official IP and selling it without license or permission.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Except it isn't.

The Sideburn debacle (that happened nearly seventeen years ago no less) happened because Takara produced the moulds first for Japan, where licensing for cars and stuff is way more lax, then Hasbro brought them over, and then had to go back and pay licensing fees. Hasbro doesn't do many lookalikes anymore unless it's for the sake of a character's look, like the Universe Lambo twins obviously needing to look something like a Lamborghini. They'll usually mix a whole bunch of things together to make a car that evokes past alt modes but doesn't adhere to any one design, like RTS Jazz being an almagamtion of Porche, Solstice, and generic sports car. These being characters they own legally, and who have appeared as licensed vehicles before, it makes sense that they'd attempt to make something that evokes the past character in both modes. (and more often than not they don't even bother and make up something entirely different anyway, further disproving the comparrison)

That comparrison falls even flatter as Hasbro is not a car manufacturer, they're a toy company. They are not in the same business as vehicle manufacturers, nor are they clearly trying to subvert their product with Hasbro's own. Nobody's going to replace their corvette in their garage with an RTS Tracks. Hasbro isn't banking on car enthusiasts and collectors to sell their product to, they sell them to children and adult collectors as toys of fictional characters.

Utterly ridiculous.

No, you're producing in limited quantities an unofficial product for a small group of people. That's like saying pirating movies and having a few friends over to watch a movie are the same thing, because you're technically screening and distributing the film to those who haven't bought it.

See, this is why we have judges in courts and stuff you can look at a dude making a shapeways helmet for TR Galvatron and a company mass-producing products infringing on owned IP and selling them through online retailers by the thousands and see the difference in scope. Same reason people who steal a candy bar don't serve time for grand theft.

I know it's tempting to group things together on the most basic of similarities, but different things are held to different standards.

16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Based on them getting trouble for it before... If it doesn't reference what's being licensed anywhere, what makes you think it is?

17. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

What Hasbro does may be IP infringement, but at least it isn't competing with official vehicle manufacturers, whereas third party is, to however small a degree, redirecting the HasTak audience, or attempting to.
    I'm probably missing the point here.

18. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what the IP laws were like in the eighties, so I can't comment on IP issues from G1.

When it comes to generations, most of what Hasbro is doing is trying to recreate a new version of the character. So while Universe Sideswipe has a lot of similarities to a Lamborgini, they're only doing so to make it as close to the original as they can.

I think it would be pretty difficult to design a sports car without people finding similarities.

Car companies can easily sue Hasbro, if they broke the law. However Hasbro is unable to sue 3P due to them being in other countries.

19. treatment

I'm still confused on what you're trying to say.

If HasTak got in trouble for some IP stuff, don't they either pay the license to sell the figure or stop selling the figure altogether?

20. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:

Hey HH, I am not saying MP29 was released as a direct result of FT doing Quakewave,I'm just saying it could be a contributing factor.

So in closing I say Hasbro and Takara ain't worrying about all this stuff so why should we,they are just concentrating on other stuff like The Last Knight Movie,not what some 3rd Party is doing right now.