Pushing 40 and my journey into transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by mouschi, Jan 28, 2020.

1. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Ok Mom. :p 

Actually yeah but they were just so cool I had to collect them and I still watched cartoons like Transformers and GI Joe. Considering this is a board of mostly 40 year old geeks still collecting toys, I refuse to feel any guilt for it! :p 

I had a group of closet nerds that I hung out with and we all pretty much dug comics, (still blossoming at that time) anime and all the other cool stuff you and I and everyone here collects today. I told my wife I strongly suspect now that we're all older, the only way "pop culture" could become so accepted is for there to have been a WHOLE LOT more of us then than we thought and we just took over when we got older vs the "cool kids" who were the minority.

I like to challenge people who ask what I do for a hobby. "Oh you want to know? Sure...I collect Transformers and other sci-fi stuff....I just happened to have pictures on my phone!". Some are really interested but I really love making people uncomfortable when they don't get it. It amuses me greatly and I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    My job requires me to at least appear relatively "normal", so I concur that it's always a thrill when someone asks about my hobbies and I blast them in the face with more plastic nonsense than a grown person has any right to own. It's especially fun when they're of the mindset that they are geeks because they "watched all the Marvel movies!!"

But yes. Welcome to the morass of nonsense that is this hobby, where the toys are fun, the fans are (delightfully) pedantic, and FIRRIB.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very cool and sincere post. I got sucked in as an adult as well, when I was about 26-27 and started finally earning disposable income money. I had started like you, trolling ebay for my old voltron, as well as some final fantasy 7 figures. When I mentioned to my wife, then girlfriend who I had just moved in with, that it was bringing me a lot of nostalgic joy reconnecting with how much I loved toys, she randomly bought me a Dark Side of the Moon Megatron from Universal Studios. A year later I had a huge collection of Masterpiece TFs!

I got overwhelmed after a few years and around 2014 sold them, shifted to other lines, statues, smaller action figures. Now, 6 years later the TF call has sounded the horn again, and I believe I’m going down your similar path of gigapower dinos and large combiners. Wish me luck! Thanks for sharing your story. :) 

is that for the battle damaged one or the “regular” as well?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tetiobot

Tetiobot Well-Known Member

Battle Damaged.

5. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE "The powers of darkness..."

I'll be surprised if I make it past 40 with all the internal organs I've had to sell to support this hobby. YOLO!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Speaking from my experience and now reading yours, when you haven't been clued in to toys for [10-20-30] years, I do think there's a funny shift that happens between only wanting the exact thing you never got to have as a kid , to then realizing toy technology and design aesthetics has come such a long way that you can't help but buy the updated versions.

And then another shift when you realize the official toys by the official company aren't the pinacle, that instead it's a band of fandom manufacturing misfits that have filled the niche. While my modern Hasbro Joes are fantastic, the official TF line can't come close to the allure of the 3P Legends figures that are exactly what I would have wanted had I been a kid, to the point that my g1 reissues aren't interesting to me anymore, other than as a reference point for how far we've come. I know the OP is talking in terms of scale and impressiveness of Masterpiece, whereas I'm about playability and design simplicity, but they're just different sides of the coin.

• Like Like x 4
  7. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Eh, let's just be happy that other people are being friendly, and like the stuff we like, too. Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.10.49 AM.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Red2

Red2 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

I never stopped buying toys. Especially robot toys. There may have been a few pauses but I never lost a passion for Transformers for some reason.

I even forced myself to not explore the 3rd party world cause I was busy collecting vintage Japanese stuff. Then I saw FT's dinobots and Toy Dojo moved into town. lol, I had no chance.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Haha. Yeah, fair. My comment was more along the lines of how horribly, uncomfortably dorky I can be with my love of Transformers in comparison with a normal person that enjoys normal, mass appeal stuff. In other words, more of a criticism of me than anyone else. I can see how it came across as negative though.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    The sad part is that even Hasbro Joes aren't the best looking things in the 3.75" scale anymore. Companies like Acid Rain and Joytoy produce much more attractive figures at that scale. Sure, it doesn't have the licensing and characters behind it, but they look stunning:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  11. GeoffDes

GeoffDes Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Acid Rain stuff is nice but it's LUDICROUSLY expensive.

Now, the Marauder figs, on the other hand, are my happy place in terms of a price / quality equilibrium.

(Still pretty insane that Hasbro was putting out the POC-era figs for less than $10 a pop when you think about it.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Huh! had never heard of the Marauders but I am definitely getting some of those dog figs. So cool!

And don't talk to me about ludicrously expensive. I started collecting the Diaclone reboot line and hate myself every day. If it wasn't for the fact that Big Powered is made out of magic and rainbows, I've have sold off my collection as penance.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

Guys, thank you for the kind words, hospitality and warm welcome into the hobby!

• Like Like x 6
  14. Rustface

Rustface Well-Known Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: 

I had no clue there were basically third party Joes out there. These look AMAZING

As for me, nostalgia never hit me because I never stopped collecting. From a kid to now (36). I’ve tried other stuff like Marvel Legends but nothing scratches the itch like transforming a truck into a robot. What has changed is my collecting tastes. I’m starting to transition from mainline stuff to Masterpiece and 3rd party and that, to me, is what sets this apart from everything else you can collect: There’s literally something for everybody!

Welcome! I hope you budget well because the attack on your wallet NEVER lets up....

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I only found out about them a few months ago. They even have 3.75" (aka 1/18 scale) scaled mecha:

[​IMG]

At any rate, you're right- one of the fun parts about this hobby is in fact the 3P scene which has all kinds of crazy stuff. Not to knock the officials, but 3P can get super weird and crazy. Everything from stylized Godbomber armor to transforming toilets and biplanes.

• Like Like x 2
  16. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Good to have you here. While I might be a mod, I don't want to make this sound like I'm "selling you" on the board: However, if you're getting into collecting and 3rd party and other stuff, this is THE place. There is so much information available on these figures from people who already have them, it's an invaluable resource of what was, issues and things you'll want to know about them and also what's still coming soon. If you've got a figure and have an issue you'll probably find the answer here from people who already owned it and have figured it out. It's one of the main reason I joined back in the day.

If you can't find something, ask! Someone will help you. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

Joytoy is great stuff and SO much cheaper than Acid Rain - plus they have 2 scales, 1/18 and 1/25. I like Kotobukiya's Hexa Gear kits a lot and find that Joytoy's 1/25 guys look SO much better than Hexa Gears' guys.

3P stuff is pretty much my favourite TF line.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I have a bunch of Joytoy. The 30th and 50th and some of the other Joe lines have excellent articulation, but I agree JoyToys are sweet, they're just not Vipers, y'know? But yes, love them. Not sure why you'd think they're pricey, I got a whole squad of 5 for $70, that's way cheaper than Joe's, and a single Marauder with gear can be $20-35 depending on what bits you get. Unless you just get the basic figure and a head for $14 but come on.

Edit: oh wait, you said Acid Rain was expensive. Never mind. Dunno, those I do not have.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

Joy toy Source is great for the price
    20200129_210720.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  20. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

I’m about to turn 37. I collect legends.

I had a large amount of debt at one point. Took a lot of patience and diligence but last year I became debt free. I got married and have managed to build up savings and support my wife while she studies and looks after her grandmother.

So starting last year I got back into collecting with Legends scale. Started with a Bee and a Magnus. Spiraled off from there. I have a budget I allocate each month. It works out because some months I don’t even buy anything.

Wife rolls her eyes but I don’t drink or smoke. I don’t stay out late. I pay all the bills on time. I put money into savings. If she ever needs extra money I go without something. It makes me very particular about what I buy.

The nice thing about legends scale is that I can put them away neatly if they aren’t out on display. I don’t have to worry about transporting them when we move back to the UK. The nice thing about collecting is that you can make back your money if the time comes to sell. I sold a few things at a loss I’ve the holidays but that’s because I cared more about trimming the collection down and saving space. I regret money I’ve spent on iTunes or Steam because I have nothing tangible that I can sell on. I know the characters and the companies I want to collect. I know how much I am willing to spend.

I like this hobby because it rewards patience. Preview pics from shows to release can be well over a year. You can start budgeting well ahead of time.

They’re fun little things that make me happy and hopefully something I can enjoy with kids if we are fortunate enough to have any.

My wife says it’s never ending but I’ve had a year to build up my collection and it will be at a rate of one a month or less from now on.

I got into the MFT KO diaclone mechs and they were cool but I sold them off because I didn’t want to open up another avenue of collecting. I want it to be something focused that rewards patience. I collect Newage but I skipped on Brawn because I’ve gone down the season 1 deceptions route. So I’ve preordered Reflector. For Magic square I’ll go for Soundwave. And the Iron Factory samurai bots line is one I’ll keep an eye on. Otherwise it will be never ending.

I admire the dedication of guys with whole walls and lighted displays. That’s not owhat I want though. A couple of shelves in my study that hopefully the kids will come in and want to look at. That’s what they represent anyway. The hope and desire to raise kids and be a good father someday. Also robots are rad.

My grandmother on my Mother’s side had a “zoo” of toy cars and ceramic animals she had in a display case in the dining room. My grandad collected tools and had a pond where he collected fish. On my father’s side my grandmother collected spoons. My dad had a whole wall in the dining room dedicated to just history books. My mum collects ceramic eggs and cushions. People collect things. Some just have more stigma attached to them.

I’ve been teetotal for nearly 6 years now. If my wife knew how much I used to spend on booze she wouldn’t have married me. She might be less concerned on how much I spend on toys. I just did my taxes and I probably spent more at convenience stores on my way to work (2-3 dollars a day can really add up). I spent more on my Kindle last year.

I’ve been in debt. I spent more last year on frivolous things than I should have but after nearly 7 years of grinding down debt I needed a release. I spend within my means. I put money aside each month. I build up my savings. I support my spouse. I work hard. Me 10 years ago didn’t care and just threw away money on booze and travel with no care for tomorrow.

So those little robots don’t just represent my desire for responsibility and fatherhood. They represent transformation. That I can grow into a better person. A promise to myself and a reminder that family and responsibility are what I want from life. And indeed, that robots are rad.

• Like Like x 6