Purple Animated Shockwave Review/ Pic Comparison

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Deceptigtar, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Are you Transforming it correctly? I never saw Longarm, so this is my first time with this mold, but mine pegs together very nicely. The forearms nicely attach to the shoulders, which peg into the slots in the torso, and the thighs come to keep the back end in place. Other then the fact that the legs are free to swivel for turning into tank mode, I'd say it's surprisingly secure.

2. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

Oh man, i picked both the target exclusives up the other day and i gotta say i love them both. Their paint schemes are wonderful, especially Sunstorm he looks scores better than Starscream.

Now that i finally own one i still dont care for the Longarm mode but the gargantuan Shockwave mode more than makes up for it. I really like both the alt modes, the tank especially looks really nice (doing the Peaugh special with the cannon pointing "backwards"). Mine pegs in nice and solid and i dig that you can actually make it look like it's doing turns by swiveling at the hip.

I think my Shockwave may have some issues tho, some of the red and silver paint isn't the greatest ever and both his wheels in his shoulders are really tight meanwhile one of the ones in his legs seems like it'll come out of the socket. My main issue is the head, it seems like the neck should be locking into place or something but isn't and as a result his head is pretty floppy, especially in Shockwave mode. Anyone know what might be up? I'm hoping it's not an actual problem with the toy.

3. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I'm not much of a fan of Animated (and up to this point only owned 3 figures), but the $5 price convinced me to spring for purple Shockwave. It's not a bad figure, though I'm still learning the ins and outs of transformation, posing, etc. The Longarm disguise isn't very convincing, but it's a nice idea for a figure to have both two different robot modes and two different vehicle modes. They aren't very distinct sadly, but it's a good try.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The Longarm disguise works better on the regular version better since it actually makes him look like an Autobot in Autobot colours. (minus the big D-con logo on the crane which makes no sense) Every part of his body changes in some way, from as simple as rotating a leg to be "Longarm" on one side and "Shockwave" on the other, to changing the entire proportion of his torso and arms. The head on this version needs some paint on the horn details, IMO, which is what I'll do when I get mine.

5. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    Giant Enemy Crab Tank.

6. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:

thats good, stalked eyes too!!

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Posted in the other Shockwave thread, but I'll mention it here again:

I've found an undocumented transformation step to Shockwave mode. Once the hips are pulled down, it unlocks an extra joint in the abdomen, arching Shockwave's back/thrusting his hips forward for a more monstrous slouching posture.

8. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    It's funny now....looking back on DJW's April Fools Day pic, Shockwave is actually posed that way.

[​IMG]

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man you can get some cool menacing poses with this guy. Way more poseable than all the static pics I've seen of him. The head is loose on mine but not so loose that it won't hold a position. Also love how creepy the abdomen hinge makes him. $5 well spent if I do say.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  10. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

The head on mine is really loose (like, he's either looking at the ceiling or down at the floor), which might tie into my second problem.

Is anyone else's Shockwave rubbing its face against the floor in Tank mode? I feel like the head is too low below the tank treads. It looks like it should get pushed inward or lock more securely in place, but I can't seem to get it to work (and I'm not going to overly force it :D ).

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a tab behind the neck that covers the light-piping slot for Shockwave's eye. If the gaps all seal up properly, then that's as far as it goes. If the Longarm face doesn't sit flush with his chest and back, then you've got a bit more to go.

12. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

How "flush" with the chest and back? Would you be willing to take a picture? :D 

EDIT: Actually, I magically made it work now! Not sure how, but thanks!

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The loose head/neck is a widespread problem with this version. You have to take out the four screws from the torso and separate the two halves (be careful not to lose the 2 springs), remove the neck/head, and push the upper neck pin through, as it was not pushed all the way through from the factory. Just put a tshirt on either side of the pin to protect the plastic and squeeze it real hard with needle nose pliers. Voila!

14. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

15. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Gog, your light setup is terrible, that photo is ridiculously dark. Get some proper lights, that way you can shoot your figs on a proper white background.

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    lol

18. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Target Purple Shockwave

This is only the fourth TFA figure I've added to my collection. I enjoy the show for the writing, but the aesthetic isn't one that I like, particularly applied to Transformers. So only a few of the figures have tempted me. G1 Shockwave's always been a favorite, and the purple deco on TFA Shockwave combined with the $5 price tag sold me. Was it a good purchase? Read on... since I currently have him sitting in Longarm disguise, I'll start there.

Longarm Prime: stumpy, dark figure. Primarily purple and black, with small areas of white. The Autobot insignia is raised, something I always enjoy. He's got elbow, shoulder and knee movement. The crane arm is stuck on the back, and I like to display it with the arm going up rather than hanging down like a tail or something. Longarm's color scheme doesn't quite seem 'Autobot-ish', but then this is not the original scheme he was designed for. An adequate figure, understandably restricted by all the sliding and rotating joints that allow for transformation.

Shockwave: The 'true' identity of the figure, so I suppose I should judge how different Longarm Prime is from Shockwave rather than the other way around. And the answer is, not much. I appreciate the effort that went into making Shockwave taller, with the rotating faction sigil and different details here and there, but truth be told only a blind man won't see all the similarities between Shockwave and Longarm. The homage to G1 Shockwave, which is what sold me on the figure in the first place, works pretty well with the purple color scheme.

Vehicle modes: both are one of the 'it's X because we say it is' variety. The H-tank is passable, but the crane is just about absurd in its failure to convince. Even as a 'Cybertronian' vehicle, it looks like a pile of parts rather than anything real. Or possibly an H-tank standing on its tiptoes.

I'm impressed by the ideas behind this figure, and the attempt to do a two-robot/two-vehicle transformer is laudable, but the ultimate execution is so-so. Shockwave's robot and tank are the better of the two, while Longarm gets a decent robot mode and an unimpressive vehicle mode. This figure was worth the $5, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

19. ekocher

ekocher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    anyone know a easier way to push in the pin in the neck ive tried everything to try and get it pushed in more but it wont work.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay: