Puppy help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DecepticusPrime, Jan 6, 2020.

1. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got an 11 week old pup that's nuts about nipping and play biting. Any advice to curb this behavior? Also loves to grab at clothes and pull. She just grabbed a lamp cord and pulled at it and unplugged it. We have plenty of toys, she just seems to bore easily with them and I'm not sure why. I try to play tug and it doesnt last long. She is a husky German Shepard coonhound mix if that matters
    Any tips would help.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. Drangleic

Drangleic A funerary dirge for humanity

My pitbull was very bitey when she was young like that. There may be a better way but what I did was pretend like she was hurting me when she bit me (sometimes it really did. Like little daggers stabbing me). Like yelp in the way dogs do. Then I would walk away to shame her. She eventually learned that if she bite me it would mean I wouldn't play with her and she stopped. Took a damn long time though.

Maybe there is a better way.

• Like Like x 4
  3. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

What I did with my dog is when she did something she wasn't supposed to do I grabbed her by the scruff and really grabbed it. With a little twist. It brings back ingrained memory of their mother. It's how the mother disciplines them and picks them up by it also to move them. It doesn't hurt them.

My dog took to it the first time and goes submissive. After a couple of times she stopped doing the bad thing.

Edit: also make sure you do positive reinforcement when they do good things. Like treats, belly rubs, or use a positive voice telling them they are a good dog.

I got my dog from a shelter at 7 months old from a family that abused her and never trained her. I've had her for almost a year and taught her all basic commands. Take her out with out a leash and stays near me or comes when called. Never chews anything that isn't hers and house broken to the point I can go out for up to 10 hours with no accidents and no crate.

I hate crating dogs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Raiju

Raiju Yub Nub, y'all! Yub Nub!! Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, my wife and I would yelp like a dog would when hurt and then walk away to try to dissuade our Corgi puppy from nipping too hard. It's to teach that fun play times end abruptly if the bites are too forceful. Puppies are cute but their baby teeth are like sharp needles, man.

• Like Like x 3
  5. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    This is what I did as well. You have to make them think they've really hurt you otherwise they'll get bigger and the behavior will continue. Then those play bites turn into a bad situation.

I had a Johnson bulldog. When he would latch... there was no getting him to let go.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've read that too and I Yelp but she doesnt seem to get the hint and wants to keep going. I may try the scruff grab

I do too. We tried letting her sleep in bed with us first couple nights but she kept getting down and pottying on floor and getting back in bed. We are now kennelling at night in our room. And then like tomorrow when we both work morning it kills me that will have to keep her kenneled all day.

7. OmegaTaco Supreme

Yeah. You might need to keep her kenneled till she is house broken. I took my dog on walks every hour for a week to get her used to going outside. Takes a little bit, but you can do it.

8. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shes pretty good about going to our door when she needs to go out. Unless she wants to intentionally not pee on a puppy pad when we have scolded her.

9. OmegaTaco Supreme

Give her a treat or act excited when she goes on the puppy pad. Positive reinforcement

• Like Like x 1
  10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

My sister has a red Husky and when he saw me for the first time, he wanted to play but his type of play was biting my hand. Teeth like needles. My sister and her husband didn't know how to train him so I volunteered to help using the same training I did with my late Chihuahua mix Mojo when he was a pup.

I was worried at first because they have 3 small children. After a few months he became more dociled and wouldn't bite me. I told my sister, her husband and my eldest nephew how to treat him with my dad's help. I always give out my hand when I visit. He smells it then waits for my command. I sit on the couch and I rub his belly. My sister is who he responds best with. He is doesn't pee or poop in the house, he always at the door begging to get out to do his business.

He turns 1 year in March. Since my sis and her husband are big time God of War fans, his name is KRATOS. Fits with his red fur.

The one trouble I have is rather or not to recommend getting him neutered. I never neutered Mojo nor my first dog, a border collie named Spike.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Selling: Rodimii! All Rodimus must go.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    1 thing about the crate, never put him in it because he bit you. He will then associate the crate as a punishment.

But, if the yelp, doesn't work "no, bad!" were the key words for all my animals and my child to signify they did something I didn't like. It might take some time, but he will understand. Like, so say he bites you, say "no bad!" and remove yourself from the situation. Now he doesn't get to "play" anymore because he did a "no bad". If you keep it consistent and even though you feel bad and he wants to play, he has to understand that he doesn't get to play anymore when he does that certain behavior. Start playing again maybe 2 minutes later and repeat. Being consistent is vital.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 1mBr0k3n

1mBr0k3n -

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Screenshot_20200106-201625.jpg
    Try some bitter apple spray. Spray it on things the puppy chews on so they taste terrible.
    There's a few varieties out there but we used this for our dog. Worked pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How long does the spray last before I would need to reapply. Just curious. But do think I need that.

14. 1mBr0k3n

1mBr0k3n -

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Good question. Been a few years. Try the spray, keep an eye on your dog and re-apply as needed. Shouldn't take but a few times then your dog will think that's what the thing tastes like. Our dog was a shoe chewer. Hasn't touched a shoe since. They also grow out of the chewing phase. Also get some chewy treats so they have something they can chew on. Replacement behavior.

15. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We have no less than 4-5 rawhide floating around our house along with ample toys(including what she steals from cats) so she has options but seems to bore easily.

16. Drangleic

Drangleic A funerary dirge for humanity

• Like Like x 1
  17. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    A trick I have actively used was simply copying what momma dogs do when their pups act up: gently but firmly hold them down and look away until they relax. Alongside saying a key word like "calm" or "gentle", THAT becomes all you eventually need to say. It takes some time but has always worked remarkably well for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

If the firm scruff grab doesn’t work, bite her back! Just a little nibble on the ear to let her know when to stop. Momma dogs do it all the time. And combine that with treats/love when she does something right.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've tried the nibble and that wasnt working. She yelps a bit and continues to want to bite at me. I've also heard thats not a great idea after all

20. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We've had our beagle Rosie since she was 8 weeks old, and when she would start chewing on things she shouldn't, or biting, we would give her a two finger bop on the snout and a sharp "NO".... Sometimes the bop would make her sneeze and she didn't like that so it worked really well and it was only 2 weeks or so before she figured out what she could and couldn't chew on. Also for the people biting I would actually make a fist and stick it in her mouth when she tried to bite me, which again she didn't like much because she couldn't close her mouth with a fist sitting there! It was pretty effective, and sometimes when she's playing around today I'll still do it, and she'll use her paws to try and move my hand...