Punch/Counterpunch

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GuardianPrime19, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    He's been shown to switch at will back and forth. I don't think Headmasters handled him well which had Counter-Punch continuing to follow through Punch's mission, so he kept his Autobot mind there, not becoming Decepticon in mind and body. I find that too shallow for such a potentially intetesting character.

Just wasn't possible to feature into the toy at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

Punch is one of those undercover cops from tv and the movies that is in too deep, has lost himself, and/or has done too many bad things in the name of the mission to come back from.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In rebirth he more or less talks about his autoboot form as a twin brother so maybe the decepticons think he is a twin who is a traiter to the autoboots. Maybe megatron knows but gets a use from him and keeps him around. (or in the comics hopes he turns into a full decepticon as he is at risk of doing with his split personality.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I've wandered the same thing. That and how does no one know they're the same guy when they both transform into the same car.

I'd really like to see a modern version of him, not like the repaint of an existing mold but a toy that was specifically designed for this character. The problem with that repaint is the hands are backwards in one mode and though I've never seen the figure in person I'm prety sure the other face is just on the back of the same head which also makes me question how no one knows they're the same guy when he basically just turns around. It's a good disguise from the front.

Anyway after seeing much better designed figures in other toy lines I'd really like to see a modernized Punch/CounterPunch who's actually good at hiding his true aligence. Second vehicle mode, possibly a jet for CounterPunch, and a Robot mode transformation that isn't simply turning him around. It kinda looks like CounterPunch is wearing a mask so why not make a helmet that can hide away in Punch mode and be slipped over his head for CounterPunch mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I think it's so funny that the commercial describes him as transforming into a "super-car". What was so super about that vehicle mode?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i mean, any car's a super car if you try to fight it hand-to-wheel

• Like Like x 2
  7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Now that we've answered that question, what's the deal with Double Dealer and his two Power Master partners?

8. Macross79

Macross79 Banned

Is he actually an Autobot or a Decepticon?

9. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

He was supposed to be a Pontiac Fiero, guessing between 86 and 88, they were considered “super sports”

• Like Like x 1
  10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I think Double Dealer is a Decepticon. That name and his color scheme just seems more suited to a Decepticon than an Autobot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Double Dealer. They had it covered.

Now, eliminating any edgelord projection, the only time there was any mention of some psychosis or breakdown of the personality was in that club fiction. Past that, he's been consistently portrayed as an Autobot who can disguise himself as a Decepticon. Some may not find that interesting, but I feel he's more like Mr. Orange than some sociopath.

• Like Like x 1
  12. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I never considered Double Dealer a true Decepticon. He always seemed me more of a free agent like Lockdown is usually portrayed as.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Neat thing about the 80s punch ad is he is playing both sides. Both sides think he is a inside spy for their group! Neat twist. Both sides think he is spying on the other side for them!

Doubledealer in the uk comic plays both sides to get money. He works for whoever pays the most.

In masterforce he joins the autoboots but he a undercover spy and blows the autoboot HQ up! Later he changes sides and joins the autoboots! His reward is he loses his transformers body when it turns into a real transformer!

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I don't understand that statement... I was under the impression that the humans in that series were the Powermasters not the full sized Transformers... with a few exceptions like Genrai.

Overload and Double Dealer who both have two human Powermaster parters each should be "real Transformers" to begin with.

I guess in the case of Overload who splits into two vehicle modes having two Power master partners helps pilot the individual vehicles so Overload doesn't have to split his focus... or have some weird split spark like Magmatron.

In the case of Double Dealer, his Power master partner changes depending on which side he's currently aligned with. And in terms of the toy the Powermasters will unlock different parts controlling which alternate mode he can transform into. Sort of like how Sideways' Mini-cons would reveal a different insignia depending on which you had as his head except instead of only changing his insignia and face Double Dealers Powermasters controlled if he's going to be a missile truck or a bird.

Anyway, part of the confusion I have that TFwiki lists some of the human characters as if they are the transform and others are listed as if they're separate characters who only act as Power master partners.

• Like Like x 1
  15. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

The Marvel comics bio mentions that Optimus Prime is continually worried about his deep cover agent, and that the Counterpunch persona will eventually win out over Punch's personality and that he will start to actually betray the Autobots.

The dude would have been great to watch interact with Tarn and the DJD. Unlike Vos, Counterpunch is always walks the thin line of actually becoming a Decepticon agent.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I kinda like that he's an Autobot because I'm pretty sure Punch is the only double agent who aligns that way...

Unless you count Armada Scavenger who was so good at pretending to be a Decepticon that even his toy doesn't give away that he's actually an Autobot. Hasbro should really make an updated version of him with actual legs and both faction symbols. With his current toy the fact that he's an obvious Constructicon homage and there isn't an Autobot insignia anywhere on him nothing would lead anyone to suspect he's actually an Autobot in the series.

Scavenger was so deep under cover that Optimus was the only Autobot that even knew he was on their side because of course he assigned him to that mission. The other Autobots even belived Scavenger was a Decepticon.

Once his cover was blown he never went back to Megatron again and the Decepticons treated him as a traitor despite the fact he was never really on their side to begin with.

The one bad thing is once he rejoined the Autobots all he did was sleep constantly. He was more helpful as an enemy than as an ally.

17. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Not in masterforce. The pretenders are full transformers as is Quickshot/sixshot (whatever you want to call him) but the powermasters and jr headmasters are humans who control robots like gundams.

At the end the series they split from the humans and take a life of their own. Some show up in victory later. Double dealer is one human in masterforce who can be both autoboot or decepticon.

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

So does that mean the Decepticons actually have two leaders? Because there's a man and woman who act as Overlord's Powermasters/Pilots. I forget their names but TF wiki lists them as seperate characters from Overload as his partners.

19. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

He was an 1985 Fiero GT.

20. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Not doubting you but where did you find the year? I had No luck figuring out what year he was