PSP slim

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'll keep my DS and my Homebrew enabled original Model PSP with the D-Pad cover that fixes that problem.

2. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

me likes my psp....its my personal portable webbrowser, and msn .

Not enough for me to justify changing my first generation psp for that.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

longer battery and output to tv (even though you need a ps3) are nice touches, but i don't like it when sony redesign their stuff, they've done it with every console so far and its just a bit of a kick in the face for those who bought the first versions.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I'm sorry, but that's just sort of taking two different arguments and trying to smash them together. A clamshell would likely make it BULKIER, not slimmer, especially since they'd likely just slap a cover on it that rolls around back when you're playing it.

It's not a horrible redesign as some are suggesting, but it's really, truly, and honestly sucky that they're making the TV output dependant on buying a PS3. Because making it only possible to buy download games for your PSP through the PS3 has driven PS3 sales so well that they decided force-lock-in in another direction was a good idea? Duh. Let people use the systems they buy easily. Don't try to lock them into buying both of your current gen game consoles in order to use one.

That said, if the price drops enough on the original generation, I'll have a tough choice between picking up a second one of them, and the new one. Oh wait, what's that? They gave up on having the huge onboard memory? Maybe it won't be such a tough choice.

5. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i thought redesigned systems were supposed to... you know... look different. oh well, i love my ds :) 

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Boy you guys make me feel like an ass for getting a PSP instead. :p 

But yeah, that redesign there also makes the system look 33% more breakable, kickass!

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    As I said before, it would greatly reduce the length of the PSP, which is the biggest problem with the PSP's design. They reduced the thickness with this redesign, who says they couldn't apply those changes to a clamshell design as well?

http://ds.thenetbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/pspds.jpg

With a clamshell, it would be roughly a half inch wider than the screen itself. Which would make it smaller than the DS lite. It would probably retain the same thickness as the current PSP. Overall that is smaller, way smaller than the current PSP.

My whole point was that thickness and weight were never an issue with the PSP.

8. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    I may get the silver one! Sounds sexy!

9. Night Flame

No, they weren't ever an issue. While I like the idea of clamshelling it, I think, with Sony, they'd clamshell it in a way that retained the original design and not move the controls to the bottom half and the screen to the top half. That's why it makes me think a clamshell would end up bulkier.

I think the part that's really eating me is that it was rumored to have something like eight gigs built in, and now they're saying only the special packages will come with a one gig stick. While bother bundling if you're going to only bundle one gig?

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

That was a dumb rumor, honestly, with no realistic chance of being true. 8 gigs of onboard flash memory would drive the price of the system way too high. The PSP needs to get closer to the DS price to compete, not the other way around. 8 gigs of onboard memory would very likely have pushed the price even higher than the launch price of $250. It would be disasterous for the system.

11. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Wait, what the hell, they changed something? :redface2:  Jeewiz, talk about doing little besides shrinking it. And that output thing to require pretty much require PS3 right now... well I see how Sony wants to play this. And they wonder why nobody wants their schtuff. At least there will be three colors now. :D 

12. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Well, given this redesign I wouldn't put it past them to mess up a clamshell design. Honestly, having a clamshell be the same length as the current PSP would be forgivable if they were ambitious and incorporated a keyboard in between the controls.

Perhaps it would have been a mistake, but at this point it might be in Sony's best interest to really push this thing as a multimedia device. Their advertising already suggests it, as I've rarely seen a TV spot focusing on the games.

13. Jonstantenople

Jonstantenople underduck

Wow, it doesn't look that much different to me. Still, the cheaper price and longer battery life are definitely good points.

Still, I think I'd rather save up for a little bit longer and spring for a 360 or something. PSP games look nice, but I don't know if they are something I'd like to play on such a small screen.

14. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Games? Wait, you mean there are games for this thing?

I don't mind them changing some things, I'm just glad they didn't redesign it in a way as to make it impossible for the first gen to run the new applications.

15. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Apparently Sony did more to the new PSP than what's been reported.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Sony+PSP/news.asp?c=3606

Aside from moving around a few buttons and the speakers (they're now no longer obstructed by the player's hands), I guess the d-pad HAS infact been vastly improved.

"Sony has raised the pad up for better responsiveness. It isn't nearly as soft as the previous model, with a press on the pad feeling much more distinct in this new design."

Here's the new packaging:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Sony+PSP/news.asp?c=3604

Here's some photos of the new PSP:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Sony+PSP/news.asp?c=3605

To myself, the new PSP is much improved. The D-pad is fixed (apparently), the system is much lighter, has improved loading times, and is impressively thinner, while also retaining everything I enjoy about the current PSP. I may have to pick one up.

16. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the new look. If they offer a trade in deal I'll be all over this.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So you DON'T need a PS3 to use it on a TV. Good, but still not upgrade-worthy.

I'll bet the thing has new security locks in place too, you can forget about custom firmware for awhile.

18. funkatron101

Ebay:
    What?? So the battery life still sucks? great!

Which is to say that you like the old look. Since it is pretty much identical.

19. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More or less.

20. Night Flame

I don't really know why they're calling this a redesign. It isn't so much a redesign as a slight (very slight) upgrade to the current design. Like the difference between one model year and the next in a car. Pretty much all the same stuff, but we changed the curve of the rear fender.

I don't know, I like my PSP, and really want an excuse to get a second one so the wife and I can slap eachother around in TEKKEN a bit. But I'd really like to see a quality step up and not just the same system in a slightly thinner shell.