PSP redesign by end of 06?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shipley, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

all portables use an expensive non standard format :D 

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Why do a redesign for the PSP??? The thing is FINE!!! Instead of doing that, why don't they tackle the real issue of the damned thing not having enough GAMES!?!:banghead: 

I own a PSP... And it chaps my ass when I see the amount of movies being pumped out compared to games... I understand that movies are MUCH MUCH easier to produce and sell... But COME ON!!! This is getting riDONKulous!!! And even when they're pumping out movies which is nice, the PRICE of those are fraggle rockin' HIGH!!!

People would be more inclined to spend the money on the damned thing if there's software that's WORTH the purchase of the hardware!!! Waiting for games to be released is like waiting for grass to grow...:mad 

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Branding. It's always been a big thing with Sony.

Saw a program a few months back about the launch of the 360, they asked a load of people if they prefered the Xbox or the PS2. Some said, they thought the Xbox was a better console, but still chose the PS2 as they thought it more 'cool'

If that's not marketing, I don't know what it is. Its' like they're hellbent on having something 'new' to push if they can't provide the PS3 on time.

They overestimated the extent of their market share and instead of spending more time on games,threw a bunch of UMD movies at us instead...

..and now they're trying to make up for that. I have a horrible feeling that they'll try to 'improve' the UMD movie format by adding an 'Extra' rather than just admitting defeat.

. What they need to do is
    *not*to
    redesign the console with more features and the same
    price and same lack of games. They need to lower the price of the existing
    console and do something about the lack of games,and do it soon.

The potenital situation here is one where they react to the failure to get the PS3 out on time, by attempting to re-launch annother product which hasn't gone as well as they hoped.

They need to focus on getting the PS3 out ASAP *EVEN* if it means rolling back the specs.

The DS already has the PSP solidly trounced. If Sony don't get their act together they're going to loose share to the Revolution too.

Yes, they can probably get it back with more of their 'Branding' but the kind of money Sony spend on that stands to affect the quality of product supplied. That in turn stands to leave a bad aftertaste in the mouths of those who aren't simply buying the products becasue of the 'Cool' factor.

At times like this, I begin to take a dislike to Sony.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

[​IMG]

Yes, yes, it's all Sonys fault. Nothing to do with PUBLISHERS at all. No sir. Those guys are victims. We should be weeping for them.

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

tures, i am considering selling my psp or trading it for a ds. i've got 5 games for my psp and im bored of them all. what happened to online games? that might make it a tad more interesting but i kinda want to play mario kart. real bad.

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    I personally would like a PSP but the lack of games I would want and the fact that I refuse to spend $250 on a Handheld make it off limits for me. I also agree with 9, creating a vastly superior version where things will work on it and previous owners are left out in the cold is bogus, but this could all be pure BS.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This seems highly unlikely to me. The PSP already has a sexy design, it doesn't really need a redesign to make it more sexy. A price drop would do wonders for its market penetration.

I'm at a loss as to why the DS allegedly has so many better games than the PSP. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I had a DS and there were fewer than 5 games that really appealed to me, and even for those I liked the touch screen seemed more an afterthought than essential to gameplay. Meanwhile my hitlist of PSP games that I want or have bought is pushing 20 and beyond. I literally can't keep up with games coming out for it right now that I want to play. Just my personal experience there.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

there must a flood of psp games waiting to get over here. nothing has caught my attention on the psp for months. tekken is a good few months away too. i cant wait for that.

9. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I hope this is all untrue. Mainly because it sucks for guys like me who go out and buy the thing around when it first comes out. The only reason Sony would think it's worthwhile adding all these extra's is because of all the people that picked up the orignal version yet we're the ones getting shafted.

10. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

...I welcome a 100 bucks pricetag on a PS2-meaning I could mod one for about 150 cnd.-(I want zaft versus allience damn it....superrobot wars alpha 3 would be aplus as well as the G generaion series)

the eyetoy mockup would be meh for me . I like revolution old school ideas. thats my main buy

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not really. We've had the opportunity to enjoy our PSP's for over a year.

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Don't you roll your gigantic British eyes at me!!! :lol 

I understand publishers have a hand at how many games are put out... But in the end it is still up to Sony because it's their console involved... Look at Japan... They've got a HELLUVA lot more games than we do here in the US so SOMETHING must be going wrong here... Yes, it's the whole "grass is greener on the other side" thing but it is a fact that games are barely trickling in here compared to more of a steady stream over there...

Maybe our publishers are having difficulty with the UMD format, who knows, but this situation should've been thoroughly scrutinized under a microscope by Sony prior to producing the PSP... Who wants a machine when there's no games to play???

13. McBradders

God dammit, I will bust it out again, I swear to god I will, you can't blame Sony if publishers aren't pushing it out quick enough. Go whine to them.

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    FINE!!! DAMN YOU CAPCOM, KONAMI, SQUARE ENIX, ATARI, ETC for making me blame SONY!!! DAMN YOU ALL!!! :banghead: 

15. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'll have to get one eventually (even if it's only for a few RPGs). Especially if that Suikoden 1&2 pack makes it over here.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    sony cant just order publishers "make games for our system". its not their fault, just like its not nintendo's fault that the gamecube had bad third party support.

IF there is a redesign, it better take care of the biggest problem with the PSP's design: the exposed screen. the damn thing scratches way too easily. they need to follow nintendo's lead and cover that thing up.

17. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Better take Capcom off that list. They're publishing like 8 games for PSP this quarter. Good stuff too, like Maverick Hunter X and SF Alpha 3.

18. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Ya really. We fork out for the original PSP then everyone else gets a super-dooper version. You can bet that the new features will be taken advantage of in games and who is it who'll either miss these features or need to fork out again? Us. So we paid for our PSPs only for Sony to take our cash and say "thanks, but screw you" and make a better version for everyone else who wasn't a sucker.

19. McBradders

Don't be a drama queen. That 4 gigs, even if it DOES exist, will be just making buying a large Mempry stick irrelevant. No games will use it like a HDD, it'll be for media and game saves.

Early adopters get screwed. Thats a horrible fact of the games industry. Learn patience or learn to live with disappointment.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You know what would get me into a PSP? 100 dollar price tag. It has enough media features that I'd have it as a tiny media center if it could break that price point.