PSA: New toy plastic condition discovered (melted soft rubbery parts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 2, 2017.

1. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I don't know but I think the accelerant in nail polish is a risk, it could cause a negative reaction. I wonder if a barrier layer of a silicon-based lubricant like shock oil might help but then would a seal over the surface worsen the issue as it does seem to activate in anaerobic conditions?

2. SofosXIII

SofosXIII @Nemesis_Slime

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm less than great at chemistry and how things interact, so i think ill just put a layer of black construction paper between his treads and plastic when in vehicle mode... or maybe even stick electrical tape to the tread insides?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Strafe28066

Strafe28066 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So based on this, maybe I shouldn't by a rotf bludgeon?

4. SofosXIII

SofosXIII @Nemesis_Slime

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    definitely get one, amazing figure, just be wary of this issue, as well as his swords and small gun drooping from being soft plastic

5. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I can't remember if anyone asked this, but would using Future on it so anything to help?

6. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Future is just a acrylic medium. I would bet that it would just become a tacky mess, since it would react the same way.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

All soft touch plastic has plasticizers in it that keep it soft and needs air to breathe to keep it from getting tacky. When left in contact with something like furniture or painted weapons in peg holes it will bond to it and remove the finish. I’ve experienced this with many things from my daughter’s 8” bouncy ball on a book shelf to countless handheld electronics with that velvety exterior that makes them feel premium. You leave them in a box for too long and that velvety coating turns into goo. Came across this info on some random YouTube video and it matched perfectly with my experience over the past decade when that coating became popular. Never even though about it effecting my Transformers.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Ractonite

Ractonite Member

Instagram:
    My SS DOTM Megatron has gotten some of the paint on his chest melted off due to the chains. Luckily no signs of plastic melting. A little bit of paint melting also happened on his hands and the wrists.

Attached Files:

9. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    Are his hands soft plastic? Don’t have the figure.

And I guess this is an opportunity to get 3P to make some actual chains for him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

And that figure isn't really "old" in comparison to problematical ones like Bludgeon and Demolisher. Has anyone seen any issues yet with SS Shockwave than beings that came out shortly after that Megatron figure. Thats the one I'm very curious to see considering the whole figure is nearly in soft plastic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ractonite

Ractonite Member

Instagram:
    His hands are made of soft plastic. Not as big of an issue as the chains since there's not much paint on the wrists.

I don't have ss shockwave but i've had some experience with him. Same type of soft rubbery plastic so I'd assume it'd have the same issue. It's made of a stiffer plastic than used on bludgeon so just be weary of having the rubbery bits in contact with painted pieces.

Also related, the titans returns figures with rubber parts also have this issue. On skullcruncher's abdomen, the squishy clear window is in contact with the painted crocodile back and took the paint off. It did some fairly extensive damage. No plastic has been eaten though. On mindwipe, the rubbery part that is connected to the wing at some of the paint and ate some of the paint where it tabs into. Studio Series bb Starscream was had his arm laying on his belly and since the cockpit is rubbery plastic, it ate a little silver paint. Just make sure that no painted pieces are in contact with any of the soft plastic. I'll add more of my finds.

12. VehiconVindication

VehiconVindication Well-Known Member

The blue hose on my Afterlife Ectotron has already started leaving impressions on the proton pack, thankfully you can easily unscrew the pack and remove both rubber parts without causing any damage, besides some additional looseness on some hinges.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seamus McLame

Seamus McLame Well-Known Member

I just picked up Vertebreak a few days ago and was wondering if stripping the brown glossy paint off of the peg at the base of the tail and from inside of the tail peghole would be enough to keep it from getting melty and stuck?

14. Ractonite

Ractonite Member

Instagram:
    Just be careful about leaving it in for a while. The paint might get stuck to the hole and you will have to pull on it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. D3VC0N

D3VC0N Decepticon

News Credits:
    I had noticed it on a copy of bludgeon I got a while back but didn’t think that’s as the issue. I thought I had bought a bad copy of the guy and sure enough, it’s melted too. My banzaitron I just got from ebay is now starting to show the rubber eating the wheel and I just pulled that from the packaging for display yesterday. That was the first time the treads made contact.

I’m worried about wei jiang’s Brawl though since the treads are made of all rubber.

• Like Like x 2
  16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

What do you mean coming in contact with Bludgeon? Is this some sort of disease that can be transmitted to other transformers?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. dragologer

dragologer "Such heroic nonsense"

Well...essentially yes. The affected part in question, (the treads) In some people cases, were left stored on top of other figures. the plasticizer from the treads, leaches out and can damage anything it comes in contact with.
    The ROTF Voyager Demolisher has the same issue. to the point that the treads would actually start melting to the surface the figure was displayed on.

• Like Like x 2
  18. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

Though not a toy I have had this happen with a couple pairs of hair clippers. The rubber on/off switch melted.

• Like Like x 2
  19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well then, into storage they go.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Just heard about this issue in a podcast. My bludgon and banzi tron have never been stored in tank mode and only have the issue ever so slightly. However, my GDO Megatron was displayed in tank mode so one of the rollers got it pretty bad. Nothing on Botcon Overlord at all who has always been in robot mode. Now I gotta check my demolishers which are in alt mode at the bottom of the bin.

Edit: I checked my Demolishers. The white one that came packed with the twins is fine and no problems. However, the red one got melted good on the bottom of the cab section that touches the rubber in alt mode. Also a bit of melting where the treads touch on the inside. The black rubber is all sticky and no longer perfectly round in robot mode. It appears that only the red Demolisher suffers from this chemical reaction since both of them were in the bottom of the bin for the same amount of time. I have 3 different decos of ROTF Rampage and none of their treads suffered the reaction either. What im probably gonna do buy a storage bin just for figures with rubber parts and buy a pack of cheap car wax rags from walmart. Then ill individually wrap each one so they dont touch each other and so the rubber parts touch as little of themselves as possible.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1