PSA: New toy plastic condition discovered (melted soft rubbery parts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 2, 2017.

1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Ordered the blast effects pack from Pulse.

And my solution for now is this:

I also ordered a bunch of Nonnef's Wheeljack Toy weapons kits with two blasters for $5. They are blast effect compatible and on a hinged 5mm port. They can work as generic guns fairly well.

For display purposes, I'll park the blast effects on the Nonnef guns. That way they don't damage the paint or plastic of the main figures or their accessories. They may or may not damage the Nonnef guns either but if they do the damage is contained to a $2.50 third party gun and the base figure is unharmed.

This way, I can leave figures on display with blast effects and not worry about the figures themselves.

I wish a third party would do a large bundle of blast effect compatible weapons for variety's sake but the Nonnef Wheeljack guns work for now as a cheap expendable gun.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ianmusprime

ianmusprime Roll out to the next toy store.

News Credits:
    Will this be a problem with kingdom megatron?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Only time will tell, unfortunately. It might be worth thoroughly documenting a copy's state on opening for a guide on any changes that may occur due to plasticizer migration, as initially they can be quite minimal. I found it hard to spot the melt spots on my former ROTF Bludgeon, as the small melt patch on either arm wasn't obvious without close inspection or some frame of reference for the original state (couldn't really find any reference in other folks' photos as they were on parts generally obscured by the treads when on display from most angles).

4. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    On the plus side, even if all of the official Bludgeons die off, there are like 1000 different third party versions of that design.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dragologer

dragologer "Such heroic nonsense"

I was just about to ask about some examples like that. DNA is the only other option? dang. Maybe Hasbro will do a new Generations update soon?

6. dragologer

dragologer "Such heroic nonsense"

I could live with that. I just miss having Bludgeon since I got rid of my ROTF copy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Napjr

Napjr Mr. Internet Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I was messing today with 2 RiD (2001) Scourge/Black Convoy, and the plastic hose of the missile pump was leaking sticky oil...

Didnt see any plastic damage though

8. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure that's what hoses in fuel tanks are supposed to do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Pretty much any toy with rubber like hoses (I'm assuming its rubber, but I never had that toy?) will deteriorate after awhile with age. Pretty much all vintage G1 Shockwave toys are like that if you find one/have one now.

10. JackAd89

JackAd89 Well-Known Member

I just read the whole thread and I'm worried for Kingdom Megatron and Siege Shockwave in 5 or 10 years. However I can confirm that after 15 years Vector Prime soft plastic has not deteriorated.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ApocalypseThruster

News Credits:
    I've left the rubbery weapon that Kingdom Vertebreak has in her hands, and after a while, I can confirm it's started to deteriorate the plastic surrounding her hand. It felt fairly tight to get out, and there's a bit of scarring inside the hand that held the weapon. Doesn't seem to have deteriorated the rest of the areas where the rubber connects to plastic (i.e. her beast mode jaw or her robot mode chestplate)... but just in case, be careful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Ive had mine in beast mode for months now sitting on my dresser. I went to look after reading this. Where the tail goes into the socket in beast mode is the same plastic as the hands, so if it has this problem it should/could do it in that area too. Didn't seem tight nor could I see any viable deterioration in the socket where the tails goes.

13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *sigh* Confirmed. Just checked mine and that sword/tail was stuck as if someone glued it in place. I was so worried it was going to snap either her hand or the tail. It did finally come out but I can also confirm it discolored her palm (at least) and looks to be parts of her fingers. There's a slightly flattened, matte surface pattern appearing on the tail where the hand was connected to it.

I unplugged it and placed it on the shelf right next to her. Won't be letting her hold that anytime soon.
    Now, I wonder if Ractonite will suffer the same fate. Doesn't feel quite like the same rubbery plastic, but rubbery nonetheless.

14. ApocalypseThruster

News Credits:
    That's exactly what happened to mine! I'll leave it plugged on her back... the connection's looser there, so if anything goes wrong, then it'll be easier to unplug. Doing it as well to the Dracodon I got today.

As for Ractonite... I wouldn't worry too much about him. The tail plastic's more rigid, instead of the slightly flexible tail that Vertebreak's is made of. Seems more like slightly soft plastic. Vertebreak uses a more malleable type for her soft parts, mainly her tail and beast jaw (which doesn't want to move on mine, yet Dracodon's so far moves fine... hm...)

15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Has anyone tried/tested using silicone/shock oil in a light coat on the connection points of any of these soft rubberised plastic parts? I'm wondering if some kind of neutral barrier might help, the way a maintained lightly oiled surface is used to prevent rusting on metal objects, like swords, and certain machine parts?

• Like Like x 1
  16. volatus

volatus .

Kingdom Core Vertebreak's tail was placed in Kingdom Core Starscream's hand for a few weeks and absorbed a lot of the paint from inside the 3mm socket.

CoreVertTail.jpg

17. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

Did we end up with a conclusion on the effect parts being fine on Battle Master figures?

18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    If their effect pegs are porous, unpainted plastic like Firedrive/Blowpipe and most of their derivations, yeah, they seem fine over extended periods of attachment. The issue seems to mainly be painted pegs, and possibly unpainted high polish non-porous plastic pegs, there's some slight suggestion on the evidence it may be a process accelerated by anaerobic conditions.
    Caution is still advised.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LorDZeeD

LorDZeeD Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Do we have enough info to set up a little database of which figs can and can't take blast effects? could add the info on to TFwiki for each fig.
    Roughly i'm getting that i defo shouldn't put them on the figures themselves but unpainted weapons are ok?

• Like Like x 1
  20. SofosXIII

SofosXIII @Nemesis_Slime

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Would a thin layer of nail polish help prevent this? My ROTF Bludgeon is asking, for a friend of course.

• Like Like x 1