PSA: New toy plastic condition discovered (melted soft rubbery parts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 2, 2017.

1. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You know, I was actually thinking when I was opening it "I *love* the art on the full boxes they use for Commander and Titan classes for Siege/Earthrise". If windowless is the direction Hasbro is going to go as part of it's plastic-reduction initiative, that art makes a compelling case for. But then when I opened it and saw that, I realized, that without a window, you'd never know if melting occurred or not.

I normally don't get annoyed about "toy" things. This hobby is supposed to be about pure fun after all. But I think the basic chemistry of how plastics and rubber react together in oxygeniated environments over time would be the kind of thing Hasbro looks into before they uses them. Because now I have all these awesome looking blaster effects I won't use, because I don't want them to destroy my figures. Meanwhile my (rather meager) Marvel Legends X-Men collection looks like the 4th of July.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I hear you, and I'm kicking myself a bit for not noting it in here sooner, but also cynical as I am I can't rule out a bit of deliberate in-built obsolescence, it also sucks that throughout Siege there was a lot of talk about display dioramas being a major part of the design brief when the limitations of the effects parts mean they really are for play not display (unless applied to porous plastics like Battlemaster barrels) unless you really want extra "battle damage" on your figures permanently! There's always the chance however that maybe they only tested them on unpainted plastic, and maybe only on porous plastics to boot so it could just be an ignorance/blindspot in their testing.
    It's definitely play, not display for me from now on though.

3. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If I had to guess, they had a rubber-plastic formulation for them (which is I guess, different than marvel legends effects) that fit within a figure's budget, and they probably didn't even check if it interacted with the plastic of Transformers (which is different than Marvel Legends).

It also strikes me as odd that WFC Transformers are positively covered in effects nobs, yet the only place to get any of these things is in Battle Masters, the two Commander classes they've ever made, and the two WFC Titan's they've made. I'm still surprised every Deluxe, Voyager and Leader doesn't include at least one effect that they produce at enormous scale. But of course, that would just make this problem even more annoying.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I really think they shouldn't have bothered with Weapon Modes for the Micromasters and instead given them all 5mm pegs to "powerlinx" with the bigger 'bots (just peg 'em in the 5mm ports where you fancy or thinks looks coolest), and 3mm foot ports so they could attach to the effect pegs in crazy "ACTION!" poses, like surfing the bonnets of deluxe cars, rider kicking to various parts of the bigger fellas, running along Omega's tracks, or even "spacewalking" up the side of his rocket.
    That dual purpose would've also ameliorated this discovery a bit!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

That’s definitely not a sealed bag; it’s just folded over and taped in two spots. There’s plenty of oxygen flow.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    the big holes probably don't help either lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. Radi0ActivSquid

Radi0ActivSquid Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I had this happen to a Waspinator figure i owned. For years i had one displayed in a hero stance while wearing a Batman utility belt. Over time the soft belt melted into the body and messed up his paint job badly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

So just saw this and opened up my Sky Lynx check it out to find a tiny bit of paint loss where the effect was touching the silver portion of the cannons. Needless to say they are now in separate bags.

• Like Like x 3
  9. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Just a heads up: Earthrise Allicon's spear is made of a semi-soft plastic. It's more rigid than the effects so there may be no problem but is probably worth monitoring, similar to Ectotron's cables.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't want to read through all 30+ pages in here so a short answer for my question(s) is fine to me:

Do the WfC trilogy effects parts contain that same acid? And aren't we fine as long as we remove them regularly?

11. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Yes, My advice is use effect parts for Play not Display, even if you're doing a diorama display leave them out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes definitely don’t leave in effects parts for too long. I made the mistake of displaying one of my figs with the effect parts and it melted some of the plastic nub. Didn’t even leave it in for that long either.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sh!t, I think I still have some attched to a couple of figures in some boxes. I need to find them and remove them asap.

14. Jayden tillman

Jayden tillman Well-Known Member

Welp I checked all of my cw arialbots and sure enough skydive melted some of the plastic behind the nose cone

15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    :eek: 

16. Jayden tillman

Jayden tillman Well-Known Member

And to make matters worse air raid has had that weird feeling on the nose cone

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    The thought is too depressing to check out my Superion on a Sunday night, I'll belay terrible awful confirmation until Monday or later in the week!

I do appreciate the heads up though! :thumb 

18. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

Just ordered some effects parts from Grimlock's Forge on FB. Pieces seem to be made of a harder plastic. Does anyone know if the same issue still exists?

19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

It doesn't in my experience but be aware that the effects parts from him lose some of their color if kept under bright lights.

20. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

Thanks for the tip.