PSA: New toy plastic condition discovered (melted soft rubbery parts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 2, 2017.

1. TickTockGoesTheClock

TickTockGoesTheClock Dōmo arigatō, Mr Roboto

As someone who's weather has shifted into high humidity 85 degree weather, should I be concerned about shockwave (SS)?

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Try and keep him in a "climate-controlled" area of your home. Basically, if you have A/C, I'd run it and keep the place even. (Plus, it's probably not good to sit in a house with no A/C and high humidity for humans or pets/animals.) That said, it's still rubber (of some kind), so it's bound to degrade and fall apart at some point. Not today, but I'd give it a year or so before you start seeing things change. You can extend that time by keeping the place leveled out.

3. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Any thoughts about this also effecting Marvel Legends "superpower effects", considering they're basically the same?

4. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

I thought someone posted something about that a few pages back in this same thread. If I recall I think they said it should be the opposite effect of whats happening to transformer toys as those figures are made differently with the plastic methods. Like most of the action figure toys (super hero) tend to already be a soft flexible plastic thats not really different from the effect parts. You basically have two of the same type of plastic touching eachother in those cases.

5. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

Well shit. I'm ditching all of the blast effects. Had one plugged into the guns that come with ER Skylynx for two days. Luckily it's just paint but, 2 DAYS?!, come on Hasbro.

Attached Files:

6. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Can confirm my ROTF Bludgeon and Scavenger (Demolisher? I can't remember the big read steam shovel) have the melting plastic.

7. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a hypothesis that the vinyl cockpit insert in Titans Return Wolfwire is responsible for the shattering cockpit hinges. Both hinges have disintegrated on mine; the left shattered years ago, and the right fell apart when I was checking its condition just now. I didn't even apply any force, just moving the hinge a little caused the loop to break apart. The plastic bits that came off feel rather soft and gummy, and I wonder if the contact with the soft half of the hinge melted the plastic enough for it to break apart under normal use.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    I'm currently cleaning and organizing my collection and decided to check my Bludgeon for any melted plastic. As far as I can tell my figure has no visible damage, although there is a noticeable color change in the treads. The small bit that folds over itself is darker and shinier than the rest and there was a build-up of some kind of film right on the hinge itself. I was hesitant to unfold the tread but when I did the hinge seemed to be fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  9. RustedCross

RustedCross Well-Known Member

Should I be concerned for my Transformers Prime Optimus Prime (and the clear version) because of the smokestacks, right?

Also, is the Siege Shockwave an issue with his hose? Or is that not soft enough to be an issue?

10. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Seeing as how most of the noticeable issues takes years to occur, I think its one of those cases where we haven't had enough time pass with that figure yet to know.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Goddamnit, another one I have to look out for?

Well, at the very least, my own Wolfwire as well as ROTF Bludgeon and CW Megatron remain in the same condition they were in when I took them out of their packages years ago (or in Wolfwire's case, the mailing crate since I bought him secondhand). The only thing to report is the same as MrByatis where the rubber treads look different slightly than the hard plastic 'end clips' that attach to the legs in tank mode, but I think that's simply due to the nature of the material texture. Otherwise, no damage whatsoever - no melting, no instantly shattering hinges, nothing to suggest my figures are at any risk of damage by the nature of their construction.

Other than Bludgeon's hand having been shattered and superglued back together because of his damn sword hilt. Great idea in concept...not so much in execution.

12. Chump

Chump Well-Known Member

I wonder if this will be a problem for the feet and tails on the more recent Playmates Voltron releases which have a soft rubber like material.

13. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Ok.. keep the blast effects on the shelf till the heat wave ends.
    Thank you for the notification on this latest Transformers rot.

14. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Heat may be a factor yes, but the first wave of Siege figures with the effects came out like end of Dec/early Jan. Not exactly a time for heat waves if you live in the U.S. anyways. People were reporting it than and I think its bound to happen regardless of how much you try to climate control the room you have them in.

15. Matix218

Matix218 Airplane/helicopter bots are the best bots

Does this issue affect the effects parts that come with the WFC trilogy toys?

16. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The blast effects have been documented to cause long term damage to toys if they stay attached.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

Its a case by case thing

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    In my experience it seems that there's little-to-no effect on more porous plastic like most Battlemaster gunbarrels (I've had a spare Caliburst & Firedrive in their respective gun modes with the effect parts on for several months now with no discernible ill effects or melting), whilst painted surfaces or polished finished plastics see a bad reaction. I do wonder if there's an anaerobic element to the melting?

• Like Like x 3
  19. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So hold on to your hats, but Earthrise Skylynx has a disaster in the making.

[​IMG]

In package, Skylynx's "hip" cannons and the blast effects are in direct contact in their plastic bag. There is no layer between them. This wasn't the case with Scorponok, and I don't think was the case with Jetfire or Omega Supreme.

This means that if indeed, the plastic of those cannons (which are very solid) reacts with the blast effects, sealed Skylynx boxes could have partially melted cannon's before long. And ones sealed years into the future in collections almost certainly will.

That being said, it is in a sealed bag, so if oxygen is required to cause the reaction, then they might be okay a little longer. But probably not indefinitely.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think you're spot on illuminating this, I'd definitely advise taking the precaution of separating them, as I found a spot of the booster packs' gunmetal paint on one of the effect part tips that I unfortunately reflexively cleaned off before documenting so there's only my word on that I'm afraid. More fortunately I couldn't spot any obvious point on either booster where the paint had come from. Plus IIRC though a sealed plastic packet I'm almost certain there isn't an atmospheric seal, I could've sworn there was an air hole or two in mine, and if I'm wrong and it is air tight in my experience it seems anaerobic conditions may exacerbate the problem rather than prevent it as I have yet to experience any degradation on more porous plastics (like most Battlemaster gunbarrels). Get 'em out of there and baggie 'em separately I'd say!

• Like Like x 3