PSA: New toy plastic condition discovered (melted soft rubbery parts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 2, 2017.

1. dolomitex

dolomitex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had that happen to mine about 5 years ago. I ended up removing the yellow paint and it looks decent since the underlying plastic matches the light brown on the rest of his body.

2. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    i just pulled my copy down after seeing this and the nosecone was far off the head but the face that flip was fused because parts in the faces in the head are rubber and when i tried to free it up the plastic shaft shattered i managed to put it back together well sort of its barely holding together now . looking to possibly rebuild the head

3. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

I don't think that was an issue due to the plastic melting from age like what people are discovering from some older toys, that was happening to some peoples' copies straight out of the box sometimes or just after having it for a few months. I know mine was starting too after about 6 months of owning it, but I just left it because the face it was "Stuck on" was the one I liked, so it wasn't too big of an issue at the moment. Pretty sure it was documented on tf wiki as far as back than too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dragonflye18

Twitter:

lol grrrr wish i would of known about that sooner :banghead:  now i gotta fix it . it worked so well when i got it now not at all:banghead: 

5. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

It sounds like a pretty easy fix actually, but per the suggestions in the tf wiki:

6. dragonflye18

Twitter:
    the shaft that the face spins on shattered in to many pieces half way down the shaft . im going to have to replace the shaft some how

7. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

So how many peoples’ Bludgeons here have been affected vs unaffected? Just trying to scope out whether or not I wanna take the risk getting the figure again, even though mileage may vary

8. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All of mine - two copies of Bludgeon, one copy of botcon Gigatron/Overlord, have remained unaffected.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Megatron118

Fuck

EDIT: am dumb. Not fuck

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. analogue

News Credits:
    Unaffected as in they have no melting pieces, that's a good thing right?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Megatron118

Oh, I misread that, my bad :lol  Yes, that’s a good thing. How long have you had your copies?

12. analogue

News Credits:
    Both Bludgeon since their release. Gigatron/Overlord since last summer. I live in Vegas. Dry, almost no humidity in the house and it usually a constant 70 degrees. My copies on display receive no direct sunlight, the other is In storage in a plastic bin in the orbital box.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ivishga

ivishga Member

I've been wanting to get the new SS DotM Shockwave but I'm worried about all that soft PVC in the figure (there's a whole ton on the gun, his whole blade is made of that material, the hose, the whole left hand and those spikes on his feet) degrading over time. Do you guys think that this figure will suffer from this? It'd be of help if someone who owns this figure also owns one of those figures confirmed to have the melting issue and compare the material between those two to tell if the same is going to happen. I also own a RotF Starcream, I'm going to check if there's any kind of degradation on that figure as soon as I get home.

14. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

I had my ROTF Bludgeon in a giant air tight plastic container under my bed with close to 100 other transformers. I'd say it had probably been in there for atleast 8 years give or take. I made a point to look at it a few months ago when people were posting more in this thread, it wasn't nearly as bad as some copies I've seen pics of in this thread, but you could def tell where the treads was starting to "melt" the plastic that it was touching while in tank mode.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Megatron118

I have Shockwave. I’m pretty sure a third party will make a hard plastic hand, blade, and cannon tip for him soon. The only rubber pieces after that are the hose and his foot spikes. Can’t really feel a difference in material, it’s just rubber with a silver wash on them. ROTF Starscream doesn’t have rubber anywhere except the nosecone IIRC. Same with SS Starscream.

Damn, okay. Thanks for your data

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ivishga

ivishga Member

Thank you very much for the swift response, I hope that's the case (about those third party pieces). I think emgo316 already uploaded a video showing a third-party canon and blade, the only problem I see is the shipping to my country (I'm from Mexico). Crossing my fingers that a local third party sees the opportunity in my country but I doubt it. *sigh*

• Like Like x 1
  17. Megatron118

Don’t give up hope! I’m sure fellow board members would help you out if shipping from a retailer was a problem. But yeah I hope someone announces a full set too. The blade Emgo reviewed is okay, but not the most accurate, and it doesn't fix the hand. I’m just waiting for a set that fixes all 3. The hose and foot spikes hopefully won’t be an issue years down the line; thankfully the hose can be removed if needed, just won’t be as movie accurate at that point. He’s still a figure worth picking up! Easily one of the best SS figures.
    I would be very shocked if no third party replaced the hand. Or even people with 3D printers who upload files

• Like Like x 1
  18. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I think it was a serious missed opportunity in Titans Return not to make separate Titanmasters of Blitzwing's other faces.

• Like Like x 2
  19. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

Great. Purchased a sealed Bludgeon for $60 and just now found out about this issue. Fingers crossed.

20. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Again, I'd make the rather extraordinary suggestion -- not normally something I'd advocate -- to see if you can't get some home hobbyist to KO the rubber parts from a clean copy.

This is almost certainly an issue of Hasbro using industrial grade rubberizers.

I can say I've bought hard plastic KO blast effects (of blast effects I bought the regular versions of at retail) with no loss of paint or stability and I anticipate no loss except due to friction.

For rubber parts, I'd recommend turning to customizers who bootleg Masters of the Universe Classics spare parts for customs since the loincloths are rubbery and those bootleggers will have experience KOing rubbery parts, which require different materials on hand. Anyone who can make those loincloths can make treads or cables.

Ectotron is a good candidate for testing this since he's only starting to degrade in bad conditions and because replacements are available in a worst case. More than likely, a customizer will need you to mail them the cable with a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope for return and warn you that the cable you get back will no longer be mint after casting.

Also, Ectotron's cable doesn't require the flex of treads and we can get an estimate whether the materials will work for treads.

One distinct possibility is that the BEST solution for treads might be hard plactic pieces on elastic straps or something more complex like just replacing large chunks of a figure, in which case maybe someone like TF-Safari might have a lead on upgrade kit producers.

At least with Ectotron, it's a straight 1:1 swap that anyone can do.

I think we should be contacting Hasbro to warn them about figure damage. Among other things, rubberizers that damage plastic like that pose safety concerns for kids and pets.

• Like Like x 1