PSA: New toy plastic condition discovered (melted soft rubbery parts)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 2, 2017.

1. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I'm curious, what kind of conditions are you guys storing/displaying the figures? I have central air and heating in my house, and it's generally not humid, but I still had that slight issue with Demolishor's treads.

2. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have one Bludgeon and three of my four Shockwaves in clear storage bins. Bludgeon and DOTM Shockwave are in the original box and the other two Shockwaves are packed loose in Zip-Loc storage bags.

Bludgeon, MTB Shockwave and Botcon Gigatron are all on display. I live in Vegas and have central air, it’s usually hot and dry. As I mentioned, my wife’s CW Megs is also unaffected.

Once a month (or so) I give them a good dusting, usually starting with the cans of air that people use for keyboards. Then finish up with a small brush.

3. DynamiteShikoku

DynamiteShikoku Dirty Jersey

Just checked my dusty ROTF Bludgeon. and got the melted plastic marks :( 

Gonna wipe the areas where the rubber treads touch the hard plastic with car wax or just wipe down my entire dusty Bludgeon with Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere spray.

Hopefully the wax creates a barrier to prevent the chemical reaction.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Checked one of my GDO Megatrons, can't remember where I bid the other one. He's affected, but only slightly, two small spots on the legs.

Interestingly enough, only the painted purple plastic is deformed. The unpainted off white upper arms and elbows didn't get deformed and instead gained a brownish hue where they were touching the threads.

I checked my Prime Voyager Shockwave, he has that flexible track doubling as a hose, no signs of damage there.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

5. BILLY THE CAT

BILLY THE CAT Well-Known Member

My RoTF Demolishor has held up quite well. He's stored in an open face bin with a lot of my other Transformers in the dark, so that might have halped him. That, or I've just lucked out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also haven't been affected and recently checked my cw megatron, and Rotf bludgeon and demolishor.

7. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I checked my DotM Shockwave and his hose seemed somewhat tacky to the touch, but otherwise OK.

8. DynamiteShikoku

DynamiteShikoku Dirty Jersey

:(  As you can see, it has not only melted the plastic. But it is also absorbing, along with the coloring further into the plastic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Anyone notice their Combiner Wars or Unite Warriors Aerialbots' PVC parts melting? The PVC radome and stabilizers on my Skydive feel somewhat sticky.

10. Jtprime17

Jtprime17 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My combiner wars set is fine, no problems that I could see.

11. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Go boom!

Either environmental, or maybe there are figures from different manufacturing batches with different mixes in the material and yeah, you got lucky, or rather people with the issue got unlucky. My sympathies to them (as I cross my fingers that mine continue to be okay...)

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

My few CW aerial bots (damn you phone spellcheck) are a-ok. I dont have skydive though.

13. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Cultist of Unicron.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Word of caution for thode with SSDotm megatron
    The guns paint can stick in his hand. Something is happening to cause it. And i wonder if its this new issue

Attached Files:

14. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    is Beast Wars Rampage affected by this?

15. OldOfflineMan

OldOfflineMan Active Member

For my understanding, this degradation only affects soft/flexible rubbers made of the cheaper organic polymers (like toys), right? So any rubber tires, tank treads, soft pegs that sort of thing? Like the previous posters stated, time to remove those tank treads from CW Megatron. Now I'm glad all those vehicle based CW/TR/POTP figures come with hard plastic wheels.

16. Kirbizzle

Kirbizzle New Member

I hope it's okay to ask this, but does anyone know if this affects the First Edition Prime figures or the RiD Voyager Prime figures? I saw a few older posts (2017 ish) saying nothing yet, but I just bought a few of these figures (MISB) and now I'm wondering if I should be concerned? I know some of the parts are soft rubber material, but I'm not sure if it's the same material used as the affected molds. Any insight would be appreciated!

17. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

Man, this thread is giving me paranoid thoughts about the blast effects that we're seeing with Siege figures now. I'm sure hoping we don't have to update this to include all our pew pew rubbery parts in another 10 years... :( 

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

So about CW megatron ,tank rubber treads will become sticky if he remains in vehicle mode but maybe could be safe if he's always kept in bot mode,how sad ,is one of few bots that I'd like to display a lot also in vehicle mode.
    At this point ,because I'd love a Megs tank I could proceed with another one,also the G2 green version, instead that removing treads,besides it could be based on lucky if treads melt or not ,and if has this problem from factory, searching for a good temperature or avoiding this as humidity could be useless.

19. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I checked my wife's CW Megs, he is unaffected. So far none of my figures are showing the issue. I'm either really lucky or something environmental is keeping it from being triggered.

• Like Like x 1
  20. KRPH

KRPH Combiner Collector

Twitter:
    Does soft plastic count in the case discussed?

I have fears for my Titans Return Kickback's head though since it may not be say melting the ABS parts like it had built-in acetone.