PS3 questions and answers!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Jun 5, 2009.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I talked to her again tonight, and she said that it was the ethernet port that didn't work, but also...that she'd let me just hold onto it for a while. I think it might actually be the 60 gig one, and if it is, I'm gonna try to buy it from her if the wireless works. she told me it plays ps2 games, which is all I was concerned with.

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How do you break that port? I would say try it anyways never hear that breaking. I have a 60gig and it is backwards compatible, wireless, has 4 USB port in the front also should be chromed. The left side should lift up to accept memory cards it should be easy to figure out if it is a 60gig. I would format the hard drive and start clean.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    my biggest issue at the moment is how long it takes to get going on a new game, updates then installation, then more installs.

I have to allow an extra 20 minutes into my gaming just to play my purchase, come on already let me play :( 

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind it so much aside from the time when I delete old downloaded games and have to reinstall them, otherwise I have seen loading times and certain performances enhancements that make is an improvement. It's like for example the reason Mass Effect looks the way it does sometimes is because it was mandatory that the game not require and install because not everyone owns a Harddrive. I would vote to be given a choice, but I don't mind it if it improves performance.

5. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, MGS4 installs & updates took forever but Burnout is the worst I put it in after a few months of and a 200mb update Uh. It's great that they have the updates to bring in new content but damn why can't I play and download the update overnite.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MGSs were annoying, but they really weren't THAT long. Restroom break at worst.

7. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well they were not any 2 hours or anything but 30-45 minutes for me I let the wife watch a show on the DVR while waiting.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My biggest issue is that I haven't replaced the HD (which by the way, when I finally do, I may ask you for help TB). Anyway, I still only have 60 gigs, so I have to shuffle things around, so I'll remove game installs like Gran Turismo. Well the other day I felt like giving it a quick run and DOH!!, I had to wait for an install. That's the only time it annoys me. First-buys not so much because despite what IGN says, it does improve certain performance issues and speed. Then again, IGN said upscaling DVDs and PS2 games did nothing, and Shadow of Colossus has never looked so good.

I need to replace that HD, I really really do.

9. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait I thought you said use progressive scan on the game and leave upscaling off?? IGN is biased so don't believe anything on the PS3 side. Windy I highly recommend upgrading the hard drive don't go less then a 320 you can fill up half that within a couple months. I don't know how my PS3 games you have but I have almost 30 now and that's a lot of updates and installs on my hard disc.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, opposite bro. Progressive scan OFF in the game's menu, and upscaling on in the PS3 menu. Prog Scan will automatically cancel out the upscaling. I was wondering why Shadow looked so "normal" and then I turned off prog scan and I noticed the huge difference.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

its a piece of cake - the only thing to worry about is backing up the ps3 as it is now, you need a FAT32 drive of the same size. it copies everything to it, then after you install the new hdd choose the restore option and -EVERYTHING- will be how it was before, even downloads in progress. very smooth transition and no need to send off for a use once data cable ;) 

for reezy? i might have to investigate this one.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, I don't have anything of the same size to move all my crap into. Do you mean one of those Notebook or Passport things?

13. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    External hard drive that is fat32, also you are going to want to buy a enclosure for the hard drive you are taking out. Might as well so you can use that as a external backup hard drive that's what I did.

14. smangerbot

pretty much any usb hard disc will work. as long as its at least 60 gigs (your ps3 is 60 right?) it will be fine. it's a unbelievably easy process.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah it's 60. I've been meaning to get Passport, so I can use it for that. Yeah, I have too much crap in my system.

16. smangerbot

do some research - i have a feeling certrian makes of disc don't work on the ps3. not sure though...

17. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2.5 IDE drive but double check me on that got mine from amazon cheapest for me and free shipping.

18. smangerbot

^ for the backing up part you can use any old type of hard drive.

also you don't need to put a 7200 rpm drive in the ps3, i think it only works on slower drives.... meh its been ages and i forget now.

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    ok, a few more questions. since there's two different kinds of backwards compatibility with ps2 games, hardware and software, do either function differently for the same game? in other words, would say mgs3 look/play better with one type of ps2 emulation than the other?

20. smangerbot

i personally have no idea, but i played thorugh mgs3 on my software emulating ps3 and there was some slowdown, but i seem to remember the game was like that on ps2 anyways.