PS3 Preorders

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cheetatron, Mar 6, 2006.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Need and desire is one of the driving factors of a free market. If I desire or need an item more than you, regardless of the reason, then I'm willing to pay more for it. It is the basis of this whole 'discussion'.

2. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Right. But it in no way changes the fact that the plane seat one day is the exact same plane seat the next day. My example therefore illustrates that a reasonable person could and most likely would pay a premium for the exact same airline seat. Something you implied wouldn't happen.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm tired of this dodgy backtracking and runaround answers. I'm a loser for discussing this on a message board, this I know. Buy what you want, gouge who you want and move on. I'm done with this.

:rock 

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, I gave a crash course in Econ 101 here and people STILL don't understand... It's basic economics!!!

I think I have to resort to drawing charts and graphs soon...:lol 

And just for those who missed it, here's what I was getting at as far as the airline ticket comparison:

5. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Indeed.

6. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    First, we won't be getting like 5 consoles and all. I'm sure it will be limited to 1 per person, so if me and my wife go, we'll end up with a total of 4 maybe. Minus the one we'll be keeping, and that's 3 total from 2 stores that I'd sell. I'm not going to be getting like 10 or anything, just a few.

Second, anyone who considers themselves "hurt" because they didn't get a system on launch day and will have to be a little patient if they don't want to pay extra, has a lot bigger problems than me buying an couple extra systems. And in fact, someone like that is probably better off having to wait. It's a game system, a LUXURY item. It's not food. And it's not like a collectible either. It is something that will have an increased supply, not decreased.

Third, I'm not keeping the hard core gamer from getting anything. They can get there before me, and I'm pretty sure considering how early I plan on getting there that they'll have plenty of time to get there after me. And, there are hardcore gamers out there who can't stand in line, who won't be able to get one on launch day because of other obligations, but they will have the opportunity, if they're willing to purchase the system at an increased price on ebay. Otherwise they wouldn't have the chance at all. Do we not care about those hardcore gamers who can't make it out on launch day?

And about it being work. Yes I consider it work. Yes it's a way to get the system, and that is my primary reason for waiting, to get my own system. But I also see the opportunity for something more. And I don't know about you, but for me sitting in a line all day is boring. It's not fun. It's a chore. It's something I'm willing to do though, and not just to make a profit. Not everyone is willing to do that, even if they are a hardcore gamer.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you want to continue posting on this forum, then please sign up for your own account.

8. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    what?

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    Here's my main problem with you. You are standing in line for a long time and as stated, do not find it fun. There are OTHER PEOPLE doing the exact same thing and I bet they don't find it fun either. And by you buying an extra system or 2, that means one or 2 less systems for someone behind you that has also been standing in said long and unfun line. So basically you are saying "Ha Ha, screw you" to those people.

And your 3rd point, those people aren't always hardcore gamers. They are there because they like the system, like to play games occasionally for fun, probably like you. So imagine yourself sitting in line all that time and getting nothing because you see everyone else walking away with 2 systems. I bet you'd be pretty pissed.

10. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Let's put it this way shall we??? Scalping is bad??? Maybe yes, maybe no... The thing is, whether or not they exist does not affect the number of units Sony will ship...

Say I got in line and I didn't get one even though I waited... Who's to blame??? Sony of course for shipping not nearly enough units to satisfy the demand... But they could have a perfectly legitimate reason why they didn't ship out enough... But what's the difference in percentage that I will get one where scalpers do not exist??? How much more of a chance will I get a unit for my very own if I don't wait in line since the ass crack of dawn??? Not a whole lot of difference... Unless you are the initial 10 or so people who can be pretty much guaranteed to get one, you're gonna be screwed regardless... How do you prevent that??? Well, there's different ways of looking at it... You can camp out before everyone else does for one... Sony could ship out enough units to meet demand for another...

The bottom line is, regardless of whether or not you got your hands one a unit, someone else will not be getting it further down the line anyways... They'll be upset too... So who's to say that he doesn't deserve to be more upset than anyone else is who got in line and didn't get one???

Is it unfair??? Sure it is... Everything is unfair when things don't go your way... Did you honestly lose anything??? No... Not at all... You didn't lose any money... You lost time, yes... But so did everyone else down the line who didn't get one...

But this is a free market... Other than communism, I can't see a way around it... The free market has it's benefits and it's detriments... It's what makes our country great right??? But people don't realize that disappointment goes hand in hand with happiness... One man's gain is another man's loss... It's the way it works here... Is it ethical??? I'd say no, but others might say yes... But we have to view what the item is we're talking about... And in this case, it's a luxury item so there aren't really any major reprecussions... It's not life or death we're talking here...

So if you want to gain, you're gonna have to screw someone else over... Get in line before the scalpers... If you really want that machine and value it more than others, then you should do everything you can to get your hands on one... If you want to buy multiple ones and sell them, go ahead... Why not??? The retailers aren't being responsible by limiting one per customer... There are no rules that say you can't buy more and scalp them on eBay... Retailers are notoriously irresponsible for that... But they aren't obligated to be responsible... They've made their money... They don't care what you do with what you bought afterwards...

But such is life... Like I said, it's a free market and these are the pros and cons of it...

11. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

I agree with this much. The bottom line here is that no matter what is said here the people who are going to do this are, and nothing said here will change that. The number of units shipped by Sony is a limited number (and that number is undetermined) and there may be enough out there so everyone may get one (remember that this thing may not be out by the end of '06) and may cost too much for most normal people to buy more than one (estimates for price are anywhere from $400 to $900). There are too many undetermined factors to make much of an arguement anyway. So bottom line is, when preorders open up for real go put your money down, or if you don't like that option, take the day before launch off so you can spend 24 hours plus in line, and if you do neither of these, and don't get one don't whine!

12. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just don’t understand the desire to get the new system being so strong to stand in line all day and night to get one on the vary first day. I waited about 4 months to get a 360, longer for the first Xbox, and longer still for PS2. I just as soon wait until I can walk right into the store of my choosing and pick it up. And by waiting you have less of a chance of being one of those people like my friend griping about problems with the hardware.

Just wait a little bit, it will be easier and there will be more games out. That’s my motto.

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    That's what I'm gonna do... No point in trying to beat the crowds or paying a higher price just to have it earlier... TFs on the other hand...:p 

14. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't see how you posting an article relating to waiting for a PS3 as opposed to an XBOX 360 is relevant to a topic about getting a PS3 on launch or waiting after for one.

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It has the words "PS3" and "wait". Duh!

17. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Wow, what a read, all 7 pages. This has all helped me decide that I will skip the PS3 in favor of the Nintendo.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Yesss... I can see why :rolleyes: 

19. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I refuse to ride on the evil train with you and the PS3 Twin Twist. You can't make me.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

We have cookies!