PS3 Preorders

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cheetatron, Mar 6, 2006.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not destroying anyone's chances at getting anything. I'm not stopping anyone from getting off their butts and waiting in line. Waiting in line all day/night is a lot of effort to go through to get these things. It's not a simple trip around the corner, pick the systems up and be done with it. It's like work. There are people who are too lazy to get up and wait in line. Many of those people will be the ones who miss out at the stores. Their fault, can't blame anyone else. It's a game system, it's not exactly a right to own one, and it's not a necessity to live. If people can't wait a month or two, that's their own damn fault. If they're stupid enough to pay that much because they're lazy, or impatient, again, their own damn fault. Is it immoral to buy stocks at low prices and then sell them when they're high? How is making a simple personal business decision that hurts nobody come anywhere close to being immoral, or unethical? Nobody would make money off of anything if everyone sold everything for what it cost them. There would be no economy. What I'm doing is not unfair to anyone. If there is an opportunity out there to help me make some money, money that will help me out a lot, an opportunity that hurts no one, and isn't illegal, I'm going to do what I can with that opportunity. It won't be fun, it'll be boring as hell. And God willing, there will be people willing to pay me a nice wage to do that job for them. I've waited in line for the PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360, and will for the PS3. Now I'm just going to be smart about it, and take advantage of a great opportunity, one that is open to anyone else willing to put forth the effort that is required.

P.S. This is alphie's husband. It's not her idea, I'm sure she'd rather not wait in line all day. We will need the money if we go to botcon though.

2. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

LOL

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Guys, don't be morons, just blame Sony, it's easy and everyone will agree that they are the uber bad guys. No need to worry, I'm driving that Steam Train of evil straight to hades, there's no need to bicker amongst yourselves.

Choo choo muddy funsters.

4. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

What about the person who arrives five minutes after you, wants to buy the system really bad but is not willing to pay above retail price and you buy the last 5 systems the store has. You have hurt that person. Again, if you don't want to think about it that's fine. I don't care that you are making people who are stupid pay above retail prices for a game console. I care that you are keeping the hardcore fan who really wants the game console but is smart enough to not pay above retail from getting it just so you can make a buck or two. That's what working is for, you may look at standing in line as work but true gamers look at it as a means of getting a system they have been waiting a long time to get.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Drop it now. Drop it or its locksville.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's unfortunate, cause I think it is a good debate to discuss. No one has made any threats, or flamed, or any of that. It is a discussion, on a discussion board. It shouldn't be locked because of difference of opinion. If we all agreed on everything, there wouldn't be much to discuss, now would there?

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Debate isn't encouraged around here anymore IMO.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One thing that has yet to be mentioned is the number system. If anyone waited for a PS2 or 360 (which I did...over 10 hours for both!), they can tell you that the stores handed out numbers about an hour before the release and you could only buy 1 per person. So unless you are carting around a harem, the chance of buying more than two are very unlikely anyway. So Godspeed in your efforts...your gonna need it.

9. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

1. Well, that person has learned an important lesson about how early to get into line eh? Further, 99% of people don't get what they want all the time (I'm looking at you Bill Gates, Donald Trump, etc.) Yeah there is disappointment, but life isn't fair.

2. It's not "stupid" people who buy systems at a premium. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the majority of people who pay the premium are very reasonable. And I've already provided reasons for why a reasonable person would pay a premium to have a high demand item on release day. I myself could see paying a premium, thusly, your comment is somewhat offensive. Ah well.

Further, if the hardcore fan was really hardcore, then that person would do everything they possibly could to be first in line and guarantee themselves a system right?

3. As you've just said, it can be both. Just depends on perspective.

10. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

That is such a good way to put it!

11. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

My father is not expected to live through the night.

I can get the next flight out of town for $1,000 and get to the hospital in a few hours or take the flight for $400 that leaves the next morning.

You think I would pay a $600 premium to sit in that same seat?

12. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I see no reason to close this thread - but some of this has been less than 100% civil.

Keep it cool and we can all enjoy a lively debate. Thank you.

13. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a little bit of difference in needing to get home due to a dying relative and getting a games console on release day.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But I thought we discouraged all forms of debate?

:p 

15. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

That's not the point at all and I'm puzzled how that could even come across.

He said that one wouldn't pay a premium for the exact same airline seat. I just provided an example of a situation in which a reasonable person would.

I was not in any way comparing the importance of getting home to see a dying relative to the "importance" of buying a PS3 on launch day. :thumbs2:  (Wow, flashback to the marijuana/slavery tangent with Shaun a week or so ago.)

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For that analogy to hold water, you should make it say that you can pay those 2 prices for the same seats on flights leaving at the same time. Your analogy is based solely upon one having a quicker service without the luxury of a real choice. An emergency situation (a father dying) and an act of laziness (don't want to stand in line or preorder in time) don't equate to the same thing.

So in actuality, your analogy should read that you had ample warning of your fathers impending passing, waited until the day of to do anything about it, and got stuck without paying more for the same service you could have gotten had you not waited until it was too late.

17. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

You realize that tickets for airfare change hourly right? There is no set "retail" price for a ticket. The guy next to you on the plane most likely didn't pay what you paid for your seat. The prices can and do vary based on the "quicker service without the luxury of a real choice." If you want to be absolutely apples to apples (what it seems), you couldn't use airfare and PS3s in this analogy. But remember, I wasn't the one that started the whole analogy to begin with. ;)  Just illustrating a point (that doesn't require the analogy to be totally apples to apples).

Also, your example isn't accurate as the assumption is that everyone in line for a PS3 at retail knew about it "in advance" with "ample warning." I guarantee you there are people in line who found out about the release date the day before or that very same day.

*edit* For clarification, here's the point I was making and in my view, not having a totally 100% apples to apples comparison doesn't detract from it.

18. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I started my reply before you posted this:

Didn't realize you weren't making a direct analogy. And yes I do know how airline fares work.

19. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you NEED the seat to see your dying father, then obviously it's not the SAME seat. I was comparing the same parameters (price, service, comfort, etc), not necessarily the same actual seat on an airline.

Edit: I said civil. -Streck

20. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Sorry, I guess I just see a seat on a plane one day as the same seat on a plane the next day. Not sure of how need or desire changes that fact.