PS3 Preorders

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cheetatron, Mar 6, 2006.

1. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Does "do unto others..." mean or imply unethical or immoral?

If so, how is what alphie proposed unethical or immoral?

People will be bidding on Ebay for a PS3. Ending sales price is set strictly by the demand of the bidders (assuming no shill bidding).

People have the ability to do what it takes to be first in line at retail to get the item when it hits shelves exactly like alphie.

Is capitalism itself unethical or immoral?

Is Sony unethical or immoral for not manufacturing enough PS3s to satiate demand immediately and in totality?

Is Walmart or other retailer unethical or immoral for not placing a limit on the number of sales to a particular consumer?

All a bunch of if's and questions, but, you know, I'm a pain in the ass.

2. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Excellent points all around. Though I specifically wanted to say thanks for mentioning the above. I forgot to mention the first and the second I didn't even think to address. But you're spot on.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Viv just gave me a crash course in ECON 101...:lol 

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Supply and demand is one thing. Creating demand is another. If it wasn't for scalpers, more gamers would be able to afford new systems on launch day. And save the 'anger' comments for a post that warrants them.

5. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Please explain how demand is created.

Further, as mentioned numerous times already, no one is forcing people to buy from scalpers or spend what you deem to be inappropriate. Remember, if scalpers charge too much, no one buys. They are then forced to lower prices until a buyer's price point is hit.

My bad for using the term "anger." I should have just left it as "misdirected :thumbdown  ."

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    EXACTLY... The market dictates the price...

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Demand is created by the product itself, not by scalpers...

8. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that's the magic question because that's the question that each individual must ask him/herself.

most individuals have no control over sony or walmart or people on ebay or the effects of capitalism.

9. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Fair enough.

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Yall some haters I'm doin what alphies doin

11. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna really argue with you drippy cause it'll most likely never end. :D 

I'll just say that IMO it is wrong for someone to stand in line early in the morning with a bunch of people behind them and then get to the front of the line and buy as many systems as they can knowing they are destroying some peoples chances to get the system just so they can make a quick buck. I think it's a rude way to treat people. If they are willing to do that it's fine, there isn't a law against it and most stores will let them do it, but IMO they are just bad people for doing that, I know my opinion big deal and all but that's just the way I see it.

My hope is that one day people are smart enough to not pay more than retail price for an item that they know they will eventually be able to find at retail price and the scalpers will have lost all of their money on a bunch of systems that they can't even sell at retail price because they can't offer a refund policy like the store can. That day will prolly never happen so there really isn't a point in going on with this rant.

And again, I don't blame the scalpers entirely for making it impossible to get a system at or soon after launch. Unrealistic units being shipped, stores like EB and GS preordering way more than they know they can deliver and scalpers all add to the horrible experience that a console's launch has become.

12. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Demand is created by artificially lowering supply. When 1000 scalpers by 5 systems each, they have lowered the available quantity by 5000. That is 5000 less units than were originally meant for the general public. Now those are off limits because people with more money than brains will buy them for 2-3 times as much as the retail price. Therefore, the demand for the remaining quantity is now increased due to the lack of supply.

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Demand is created by lowering the supply, that is correct, but that entire initial supply is still available on the market where the price is dictated by how much consumers are willing to pay for it... And it's not off limits to the general public since the people buying them from scalpers are still the general public... They're just willing to pay more for not having to deal with the hassle of getting in line, etc.

If the scalpers set their prices too high, the market will naturally dictate the lowering of the price because no one will buy it... Even for those with money to throw around... So the price will lower to the equilibrium where supply meets the demand...

Scalpers can't alter the demand of the product by much because of that... The demand will be there regardless of whether scalpers exist or not... Scalpers only bring price discrimination... But here's another prime example...

Your going to fly somewhere... You could pay more for first class or or less for economy to get from point A to point B... What do you perceive as value??? Would you pay more or less??? If that plane was empty and you demanded to be able to sit in fist class even though you paid for economy, why should you be able to??? You shouldn't right??? Since you paid for economy, you should sit in economy... People pay more for first class... They get more luxurious seats and better service... Same thing as people paying scalpers for PS3s so they don't have to find one themselves...

14. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was with you until this paragraph. First class and economy are fundamentally different. A PS3 for $400 and a PS3 for $1000 are no different. Except that one cost $600 more than the other. Would you pay $600 more to sit in the same economy class seat. My guess would be no. And this is going nowhere, btw. :) 

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    But you see, that wasn't the point... You're looking at it in ways that the two outcomes are different... But they aren't... A plane ride gets you from point A to point B regardless of what you pay... Just like you'd get the same PS3 regardless of what you pay...

You get better service, seats, and other luxuries for first class for more money right??? Well, if I paid more to a scalper for a PS3, I get it without the trouble or hassles of camping out in line... I'd get that luxury of not having to lift a finger... You're essentially paying the scalper more to get you a PS3... Just like you're paying more for first class and everything that comes with that...

Both products are the same... The plane gets you from point A to point B for a first class passenger just like the economy class passenger does... You get the same PS3 from a scalper as you would from the store... But the difference is what you value and how you value it...

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It will most likely continue with system releases here on out. Honestly I can wait. Heck, you're better off waiting until the system has a good library anyway. Which is at the very least 6 months after launch. Impatience is what the scalpers bank on. If you choose to pay twice as much for something because you are impatient, it is rarely worth the cost.

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    After getting the PSP and waiting... And waiting... And waiting... And waiting... And waiting... And waiting... And waiting for games, I think I can wait for the PS3 until they're in stores in abundance...

18. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm going to kill that husband of mine! Posting in my name about something that I am so against doing! :Gouki: 

Seriously ya'll, I'm working my tailend off right to start saving up for Botcon. Hell, I'm getting about fifty hours this week alone. Don't worry ya'll, I'm not going to do it. I'm hoping to stop the hubby from doing it. Again, sorry ya'll for the trouble he has caused.

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed. My bro did it with XBOX 360, made some money at it too and I got a peice of it for eBaying them for him. I dont think its the end of the world if you dont get it the first day.

[​IMG]

20. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Make him get his own account here!!! Viv has one!!!:lol