PS3 Preorders

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cheetatron, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

Working in a game store, I can tell you that putting yourself on a list, or worse, putting money down is a silly thing to do. We have no price, SKU, or date. You may be number 14 now or whatever, and when these thing are anounced the store may only get 3. I hate when people jump the gun like this because they are takeing a high demand item, and making the situation potentialy worse. Wait till there is some solid info, then put your money down, as the wait will be long enough, and the supplies will probably be as short as the 360. Believe me anyone who works in a game store, can tell you how bad it is to deal with a person who can't get their system who "Preordered it in march of last year."

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'm not biting until the first or second price-drop (and then only if there are games I'm interested in). See ya in 2010.

3. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I think preordering a highly anticipated game or system at EB or Gamestop is just stupid. They've screwed me over making me wait even though I preordered several times and when I went looking for a 360 after New Years they kept telling me they wouldn't be able to sell one to the public until March. I ended up getting a 360 way before people who preordered theirs at Gamestop or EB.

I'm sorry but a preorder means I have that game on reserve for me the day it comes out which means that a store shouldn't take more preorders than the number of units they get on their first shipment.

TRU and Best Buy understands this. I didn't talk to anyone at Best Buy but my friend at TRU told me they only did about 8 preorders because that was the number of 360s coming in on launch day.

4. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    hey if thats what you have to take to get a ps3 then i'd say go for it.

5. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I think we'll be taking the day of launch, and day before off of work, going to wally world and waiting in line all day to pick up a few, then going to target or something and waiting in line all night and get a few more, and sell all but 1 on ebay. That should pay for the one we keep, and hopefully pay for botcon (assuming it's out by then).

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown 

No wonder there's shortages on systems. Buy one and leave the others for people who actually want the system.

7. Big Nine

Quoted for truth.

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    no shit

9. BigPrime3000

You are kidding right?

10. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Ummm...she would be turning around and selling them to "people who actually want the system." Good for her for taking advantage of supply and demand. It's not like you couldn't take a day or two off of work and go stand in the same line. Talk about misplaced anger (or thumbs down :thumbdown  whatever you want to call it). Sheesh.

11. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    A lot of people do it. My friend is planning on doing it with the PS3 launch. He is hoping to pay for some of his college with the profits.

I warned him that this time it might backfire and he will buy systems that are worth as much as he paid for them. Will Sony learn from the XBOX 360 launch? We'll see.

12. Big Nine

I'd say taking advantage of people who have too much money is more accurate. It doesn't change the fact that leaves no systems for regular people who are going to the stores to get them, and creating artificial demand.

13. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

How is someone willing to pay a million dollars for X being taken advantage of? No one puts a gun to their head and says "Pay a million dollars for X or we'll kill you and your family!" No one forces them to click on the "place bid" button.

"Regular people" have the ability to get into the same line or place the same pre-order for X that alphie has.

This particular situation is not about "artificial demand" (you're saying she's shill bidding on Ebay?) but rather a potential lack of supply made available for sale by the manufacturer. If you want to blame someone, blame Sony for not making enough. Or blame Walmart (or other retailer) for not placing a limit on the number of systems a person can buy.

14. BigPrime3000

My friend had a neighbor who was selling 360s for like $800 when I was looking for one after Christmas. After my friend told me the price I told him to tell the guy to go to hell for being a damn scalper.

And for the record, I'm as angry at the people who are willing to get scalped as I am at the actual scalper. I just think it's unethical to buy something in large numbers like that a retail and then hike the price up way beyond retail price, even if people are willing to pay. It's fine if you find a wholesale way of picking up 360s, but what it comes down to is that it's rude to take 360s off of the shelf and out of the hands of the real consumers who are smart enough to not pay higher than retail prices. It messes up with the demand, screws everything up and the only person it helps is the person who is doing the scalping. If you're fine with every one but you getting screwed just so you can make some money that's fine, but it isn't right.

15. Big Nine

Unfortunatly everyone who waits in a line still won't get a system, because of people buying tons of them to sell on ebay. Secondly nobody said anything about "artificial demand" on ebay. No did anybody say anything about people "shill bidding" to drive up prices (don't put words in others mouths). Lastly I DO blame Sony and places like Wal Mart. But people buying for personal gain are as much to blame as the manufacturer and retail outlets.

16. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

1. Yikes. Remind me not to get on your bad side. Generally if I don’t like the price of a particular item I simply say “No thanks” and move on.

2. At what point does it become “scalping?” What if X is genuinely worth a million dollars to me? To put it another way, what if I don’t mind paying a premium to have X on day of release and not having to wait in line or mess with pre-orders or any of that other stuff? Further, what if I make a $100 million a year. What’s $1 million to me? (Answer: not a heck of a lot.) Who are you to say that I’m being taken advantage of?

3. I view it as unethical if others don’t have the same opportunity. In this situation, you and everyone else could cut school, call in sick to work or do whatever it takes to wait in line at a store to buy whatever is on the shelves that is in high demand.

4. Why are consumers in the store more “real” than the consumers on Ebay or elsewhere online? Here’s the scenario:

a. If 10 retail consumers get X, then 10 online consumers won’t get X.
    b. If 10 online consumers get X, then 10 retail consumers won’t get X.

In the end, in either situation, 10 go without and there is still a demand for X. So, how is demand “messed up?”

5. How is “everyone” getting screwed? People on Ebay will be buying the PS3 for the amount of money they are willing to spend. You have the opportunity to go to retail (like everyone else) to get the item for retail price. Seems fair to me.

17. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Ummm...you said artificial demand. And we were discussing alphie and her upcoming sales of PS3s on Ebay. I quoted you (see below). The only possible way I can think of that a person could artificially inflate demand (on Ebay) is shill bidding. I asked if this is what you were suggesting. So, yeah, either explain more clearly what you mean next time or don't take my question as "putting words in others mouths." Also, what is "artificial demand" outside the context of an auction? Thanks.

So get there earlier than everyone else. Who's stopping you? Sure there are repercussions for skipping school or calling in sick to work, but you have the ability to be first in line like everyone else. How bad do you want the item? It's either that, pay a premium or wait until supply catches up to demand. Economics FTW.

In light of this, anger should be directed towards Sony and Walmart in this case (which you DO)...but not alphie. She doesn't control demand in any way. And if you're suggesting that she's not entitled to make a profit (or conversely a loss) on an item she owns and then sells...I would love to see your argument against capitalism.

18. Big Nine

I'm going to stop now. I've made my stance clear, and it is obvious that no matter what is said, you are going to disagree, so let's agree to do that.

19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Scalpers don't affect supply and demand... They affect the way they're distributed... Price is set by the market, not necessarily where supply meets demand on the supply and demand curve...

Let's take a look at that... As far as supply goes, you have a set amount of product X to sell... Scalpers don't affect that number because all of product X will be sold no matter who buys it... Scalpers or regular consumers included... The producers would still get their producer surplus but the scalpers get the consumer surplus instead of the consumers... So essentially it's a redistribution of surplus...

Demand isn't affected... Why??? Because no matter what the price is, someone will buy it... Those who are lazy or simply do not have the time to wait in line since the ass crack of dawn will pay higher prices for product X... In essence, they are paying for someone else's services so that they can wait in line and buy on for them... And scalpers take advantage of this... Is it wrong??? Is it right??? That's your own opinion to form...

It is the producer and the retailers fault for much of scalping... Producers don't make enough of product X... But they don't care about scalpers because as far as they are concerned they're product is sold and they made the profit... Retailers don't limit the purchase to one per customer... And even if they did, scalpers could easily go to another store and get in line or have a family member or friend wait in another line and pool their profits... And same thing with them... If it's sold, they made their profit... Whether or not they want to add in the "limit one per customer" thing depends on how "responsible" they want to be concerning scalping... And most of the time, they don't care as well...

But the main problem is the rising inequality of income and wealth which is a major cause of animosity towards scalpers... That and the fact that scalpers are just one of the things that come along with a free market...

Yes, Viv is earning her PhD in Economics... And yes, this is just scratching the surface on supply and demand...:thumb 

20. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    so basically, it's the almighty dollar and look out for #1 vs. "do unto others..."

most people are going to side with the latter (even if some are being hypocrites)