PS3 - Enlighten Me

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DevilzFan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Don't say that, I bought mine right before they started releasing the ones with the new hardware. :( 

Honestly, that's why when a multiplatform game comes out I get it on the PS3, despite the sometimes minor inferior performance that is usually caused by poor porting. I'd hate to lose 75% of the games that I can play due to RROD.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

"Near 100%" is bunkum and nonsense. Microsoft say it's 15% or less whereas some more independant sources state it's a lot closer to 35%.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It can't be that bad (100%). But I wouldn't say it's 15 either, because almost everyone I know with a 360, including myself (with my previous 360, thank goodness not the new one), has received RROD , and every couple of weeks, someone here posts that it has happened to them.

So I think MS is trying some damage control PR by saying it's as low as 15%, but nearly 100% is a stretch.

My new box has been pretty faithful, only making some strange grunting noises every once in a while, but otherwise smooth sailing, and my cousin tasked it with Mass Effect.

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    After seeing how easy it is to do, I am considering upgrading my 60 gig sometime this year.

Since Christmas my PS3 has been working overtime with Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank and Rock Band. Not to mention all the BDs I got. I am happy with the investment I made in buying mine last year.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Well sure, it's an exaggeration....sort of. But keep in mind, the 360 has only been out for two years. If Microsoft indeed claims 15%, that's already outrageously awful for a consumer electronics device, especially in such a short time period. And you can be certain the actual rate is worse than what MS claims...they will spin it down as low as they possibly can. I have no doubt that the real failure rate is at least double what MS says. And if it's already that bad, what's the failure rate going to be after 5 years, when the console will still presumably be active? Double again? Worse?

Ultimately though, it boils down to this. Of all my gamer friends, I don't know a single person who owns a 360 who hasn't gotten the RRoD. Some of them have gone through 3 or 4 systems. That's insanity. Even back in the days of the launch PS2 systems having problems, I only knew 1 person who had the issue. Anecdotal? Sure...but it's still a powerful deterrent, especially when I keep reading and hearing more impressive things about the competition.

6. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Me too. I´m damm happy with my 40g model.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I know 23 people who have a 360.
    That is, people I actually know -I can sit down and have lunch with them.
    Of them, four people have had the red rings.
    I am one of the four. And, truthfully I had critical failure twice.

I know four people that have a PS Triple and one of them had critical failure.
    If you take my numbers as a random sample (which scientifically speaking you can not) then the failure rate appears the same.

While I do think it is really crappy that the 360 went through the factories with a flaw like that, Microsoft has owned up to the problem regardless of whether their published numbers are inflated, deflated or accurate.
    They have said "Hey, we are aware of the problem, and if you have the problem we will fix it for free."
    Ideally, the system should not have had the issue at all, but I think that MS is handling it in the best way it can.

And, if you believe the reports, anyone who buys a 360 now will have the new "Falcon" form factor that does not have the Red Rings of Death problem.

So, really the RROD is a moot point for anyone buying a 360 console now.
    The argument is anachronistic.

Back to the Devilzfan's query:

A lot of people are waiting on Metal Gear for the Playstation 3, but I don't believe for a moment that the game is a PS3 exclusive. There are too many rumors combined with too many business analyses that Konami will never recoup production costs -let alone make a profit if it published just for the PS3. However, I do believe there will be a time frame where the game is only on the PS3 before it appears on the 360.

The game that really has me gazing at a future PS3 is White Knight Story. I can not believe that game has not gotten a lot of hype. Maybe that is a good thing though because everyone looks at the Sony hype with a very critical eye these days.

9. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

Upscaling never really looks that good.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, White Knight Story looks amazing, I downloaded some trailers from it recently. It's been an extremely hushed game though, but I was bit dissapointed, because the trailer I saw a year ago had the characters doing all these crazy moves, and it was all running in real-time. But then I saw some footage recently, and the characters were just trading blows ala FF12, which for FF12 was cool, but I expected more from this. But who knows what it will look like as it gets closer to release. Honestly, Metal Gear doesn't sway me in any way. I like the game, and I played Sons of Liberty, but I just don't find it that entertaining. Ratchet, Folklore and Uncharted are the reasons I have been playing PS3, and now Eye of Judgement. Metal Gear will come and go and I probably won't even notice.

I guess my experience with the 360 has been different. I know 6 people with a PS3 and none of them has failed, but all but two of the people I know with 360s have had the Rings of Fire. Ive had my Halo edition since the week it was released and I haven't had a single problem, aside from it sometimes sounding like it wants to eat my game.

Regardless, I agree that The Company that Bill Built has handled the situation well, and because of that, maintained the trust of the people who spent money on their system.

Final Fantasy 12 looks very good with the Upscaling.
    And Barbie's Horse Adventure looks like a Next Gen title with upscaling. Hell the upscaling even adds normal mapping to the environment, and volumetric lighting to the exterior scenes, as well as real-time hair simulation to Barbie and her horses.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i name 5 games where the upscaling does look good!

mgs2
    mgs3
    shadow of the colussus
    mashed
    devil may cry 3

and doom on the ps1 doesn't look bad either :) 

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I didn't think my 360 sounded so loud until I got the HD-DVD player.
    The thing pratically whispers compared to the 360's drive.

I have got to get Barbie's Horse Adventure -got to!

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I agree that MS handled the situation as admirably as possible under the circumstances. But I don't want to purchase a console where it is likely, perhaps even inevitable, that I will have to deal with repairs (even free ones) and sending the console off for a period of time. We're not talking about an Atari or an NES that craps out 15 years down the line, we're talking within a couple of years. It shouldn't have come to this to begin with.

I have high hopes that the new form factor will indeed improve the situation, but it's far too early to make a definitive statement that the issue is now resolved. A lot of apologists are declaring the RRoD null and void now, within a matter of weeks. That seems awfully optimistic to me. I sincerely hope they're right, but for me, Microsoft has to earn my trust back before I invest in a 360.

Ultimately though, what I'm getting at is that everyone *I* know who owns a 360 has had a problem, and that is a powerful psychological barrier to overcome. People will often avoid a brand or service provider if 2 or 3 people they know have problems with it. When I know 20+ people with busted units, some of them with MULTIPLE busted units, and literally not one single person who hasn't experienced a problem, that's really, really hard for me to dismiss. As I said, I know it's anecdotal, but it's just the way it is. Can you see how that would be difficult for me to choose a 360 over a PS3, especially as the PS3 continues to look more impressive in its second year of life?

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    ^ yeah., I think Skeptical Cat would agree with you, too.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Thanks drip!

So yeah, definitely looks like I'll be getting the 80gb, unless some store near me miraculously has a 60gb in stock, or I find a decent deal online for a 60gb (which is also doubtful)

18. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

19. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

Wow, that's bad. I know about 18 people(personally, in RL) that have a 360, and none have had a single problem. I've got 4 360's myself(2 premiums, one elite, one halo edition), and haven't had a single problem with any of them. One of them is even a launch unit.

Or maybe i've just been lucky. Who knows.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just talk to a Gamestop Manager. They may not have exact numbers, but they can definitely give you an account of how many come in.