Heavy/Scratch: Proper CW Liokaiser (in progress)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by AkioRed, Apr 6, 2023.

1. AkioRed

AkioRed Well-Known Member

So with Haslab Victory Saber and Deathsaurus, I had high hopes for a proper take on my favorite combiner ever, Liokaiser (Bruticus is a close second!). Unfortunately, the designers have mentioned that they plan on moving from Victory for the next haslabs. While a Liokaiser on the main line is a possibility (Menasor was pretty damn neat), for some reason I don't really have high hopes of that happening. So, what's the next closest thing that I can get? Well, thanks to some custom works I know that making a functional 6 members Liokaiser using the CW release is possible, and I decided to do just that.
    So after arming myself with paint, an airbrush, tons of pictures as reference and the necessary figures and custom parts, it's time to start working on it.
    First is Jallguar. Unfortunately, I forgot to order a new head on the first batch of custom parts, so I had to make a new order and it hasn't arrived yet :lolol 
    For him, I actually mixed 2 different custom projects. First are new feet containing combiner ports on them, designed by fellow threadizen @kentan99. However, while I do believe that his designs are absolutely genius, they can be too big brain for my 2 brain cells to understand. For the missile pods and arm ports, I used files designed by cults3d user Blake_Jones1.
    For comparison, here's a vanilla CW Hound:
    AT07_HOUND_01.jpg
    AT07_HOUND_07.jpg

After installing the parts and painting (not done yet):
    [​IMG]
    The new feet also give the vehicle mode some nice lenght at the front. The hood and the sides of the vehicle need some painted details I'll add in the future. The windshield was made with some Tamiya putty.
    As for the missile pods, you remove the fingers from any PoTP hands and install the new parts instead. Unfortunately, they come with missiles molded in, and I wanted to be able to remove them. So I've clipped them off, dug a 5mm hole on the center and added missiles also designed by Kentan.
    [​IMG]
    (Headless) robot mode. Unfortunately the new feet don't allow for an ankle pivot (if they do, it's too tight and I'm afraid of trying it). The missile pods connect to the legs using the small tab (?) on the thumb and a narrow space on the back of the legs.

That's all I have for now. I'm waiting for a few more things to arrive, and since these take time I can only work on this project on my days off work. I could try working indoors but the smell of paint is too strong and my mother would complain about it :lol 

While I'm at it, a question to all those who have more experience with custom paint than I do: are there any tips to prevent chipping? I know that during transformation parts rub against each other so it might be unavoidable, but any way to reduce chipping is appreciated. Thanks and I'll keep this thread updated as I go ;) 

• Like Like x 16
  2. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

You could try sanding down the rub points a little, to give painted spots more clearance. I also find using very thin coats of paint help in those spots, plus added sealant

• Like Like x 4
  3. ankokushin

ankokushin Well-Known Member

If it serves as an example, that's how I did my rescue force

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  4. AkioRed

Thanks for the tips! Any sealant in particular you recommend?

Ah yes, I've seen some posts by you when researching how to go about my custom. I'll quote you when I get to Killbison :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  5. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

I'm sure there are probably better ones available, but I generally use testors spray sealant (dull or clear, depending on needs)

• Like Like x 1
  6. the Neckrophile

the Neckrophile Banned

:life raft in the middle of the Atlantic sea
    Now with the paint chipping what's best to do is to sand down all of the parts that will be considerably rubbing next to each other by working your way down from a low grit sandpaper to a finer grit(70-120grit works for me) i usually remove 25-15% of the peg or hinge joint, so when you add the primer, paint, and clearcoat, it won't thicken up those areas so much that it's impossible to articulate them without all of the paint painfully grinding off. Another thing that helps me is just accepting the fact that your figure will basically be an Action master once you finish it, paint chipping on customs is like the dark god of Tzeentch, no matter what you do it's inevitable

• Like Like x 2
  7. AkioRed

Just a question since this is my first time doing this kind of large scale customizing: won't sanding the pegs make the figure floppy?

• Like Like x 1
  8. AkioRed

Quick update:

No, I haven't painted anything else yet, but my CW Liokaiser set arrived today (yes, I didn't have it in hand yet). So I slapped a new cannon on Killbison, a new drill on Drillhorn, put Hellbat's head into Fireflight, put sandals on the combiner feet, assembled knee combiner ports, Guyhawk... I didn't do anything with him. Surprisingly, Guyhawk is the only member I have to do nothing other than apply some paint.
    Then I tried putting all of them together and:
    [​IMG]
    Not looking too bad, although it sure is floppy as hell (not that I expected otherwise). Unfortunately Jallguar's paint chipped quite a bit, I'll have to apply a new coat and then use a sealant (already ordered some cans and have them on the way).

• Like Like x 11
  9. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

It will, but the paint will be replacing the removed plastic, thus thickening up the pegs again.

I personally only worry about spots that will be seen (knees/elbows), spots that won't be (like inside hands or most ball joints) I tend to just leave alone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kentan99

kentan99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I designed the Jallguar hip pieces and skirt to tab in place to secure the hips together. If you use those pieces you will have a more stable combiner. Furthermore the existing missile pods in my files provides you with a non-partsforming option.

• Like Like x 1
  11. the Neckrophile

the Neckrophile Banned

Well you're thickening up the pegs and joints with the extra layers of paint. Simple as

• Like Like x 1
  12. AkioRed

Ohhh ok, thank you.

Yeah I've downloaded your files. I'm using the Leozack ones, but while I really admire your work (your custom was the biggest motivation for me to try my own) I'm not too fond of how your Jallguar ended up looking :tongue: 

• Like Like x 3
  13. AkioRed

Finally got around to resume work on this. Decided to leave Jallguar for later and work on Guyhawk instead cause he needed the least amount of changes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At first I considered swapping heads with Hellbat due to the jet mode, but with the wings open like this Guyhawk does look pretty close to the cartoon model:
    [​IMG]
    ...and then I noticed I did a mistake and painted the wrong window panel instead. Well, not that big a deal so I'll leave as is. Here's the original for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Robot mode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea why Hasbro used so much black on this guy when he should have none. Unfortunately the pink took on more of a magenta shade but the wiki does list him as a magenta jet so that's accurate I guess? The gun will be painted later because honestly I forgot about it.
    Original:
    [​IMG]
    Cartoon models I used as reference:
    [​IMG]
    Without the breast animal attached:
    [​IMG]

Technically I COULD make a breast animal using the siege laserbeak mold, but it'd make for a pretty lackluster gun and the breastplate would not only look pretty bad (the idea is to drill a 5mm port on the chest and then attach laserbeak in tape mode) I'm afraid it'd make the figure front-heavy.

Next are probably the legs, Drillhorn and Killbison since they shouldn't take too much either.

Oh boi I don't even want to imagine the white paint on the combiner port chipping when I combine it...

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  14. AkioRed

2/6 Horndrill

Coated horndrill in a new shade of blue to make him stand apart from Hellbat, and replaced his drill with Steam Shield's BFD 2016 Drill Tank.
    Vehicle mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bot mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next on the list is Killbison. I'll start working on it on Friday.

Edit: Reuploaded the pics since the old ones disappeared.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  15. the Neckrophile

the Neckrophile Banned

Looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  16. AkioRed

No, this project isn't over. It's just that 3 problems piled up and greatly reduced my progress: 1)my airbrush died; 2)it's the rainy season now and I can only really paint outdoors due to the strong odour of the paints and 3)my workload increased and I don't have as much free time now.
    But yeah all those aside, finally finished Killbison today:
    [​IMG]
    Replaced all the gold with an orange-ish yellow that's more accurate to the cartoon. Because I prioritize the bot mode, I didn't notice the white part on the legs and the arms weren't aligned... oh well no helping it. The turret was replaced with a 3d printed one from cults and the cannons are from one of the legacy stunticons upgrade kits.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, the bane of my existence, paint chipping, is quite bad in this one. Paint just can't seem to adhere to his horns, and the thighs chip like crazy due to how much they rub against other parts during transformation:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Group shot of the breastforce members so far (horndrill and guyhawk have their weapons painted, as usual I forgot about Killbison's and will do it later):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  17. the Neckrophile

the Neckrophile Banned

Great work!

• Like Like x 1
  18. AkioRed

If rain doesn't screw me up Hellbat should be done this Wednesday:D 

• Like Like x 1
  19. AkioRed

Finished Hellbat today. Only Jallguar and Leozack left. Jallguar is mostly complete so should be able to finish him on my off next Wednesday.

Jet mode
    [​IMG]
    Unlike the previous members that weren't really changed from the original Platinum Liokaiser set, for Hellbat I used Fireflight as base since the original alt mode actually looked more like Guyhawk. The wings are 3d printed from shapeways, and the "flaps" on the nosecone are the ones that were originally on his legs: I clipped them off and superglued them on the cone. In the anime Hellbat is more of a cobalt shade of blue, but I went with this navy one based on his g1 toy.

Robot mode
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  20. Npiece

Npiece Well-Known Member

It's looking better and better, I can't wait to see the final product

• Like Like x 2