Fan Art: Project Saxaphone (AKA Spyder-Jazz)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ColdGoldLazarus, Aug 4, 2018.

1. ColdGoldLazarus

ColdGoldLazarus Spreadsheet Queen

I've recently begun working on an experimental 3D-modeling project related, obviously enough, to Transformers. This isn't the first time I've attempted something like this, but the others have all fizzled out unceremoniously due to a lack of adequate planning and motivation. Thus, I felt that creating a thread to record my planning and the actual modeling process, would hopefully help lead the project to actual completion, with my thoughts all in one place and accountability to keep me motivated.

So what am I building? My take on the much-beloved Jazz, taking cues from his different appearances across the various continuities. This version would transform into a Porsche 918 Spyder, and as an added bit of challenge, the interior of the car will be a factor as well, intended to be as accurate as humanly possible.

[​IMG]
    The car in question.

More details on my current progress to come in the next post.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ColdGoldLazarus

So here's my initial notes thus far. Prepare for lots of bad drawing, but it's mainly to get the job done.

[​IMG]
    A sketch of the G1, Movie, and Animated heads for quick reference. I wanted to take certain design elements from each; the bigger side-vents from G1, the 'wings' from the movie, and the headphones from Animated.

[​IMG]
    The head design I came up with. I feel like it could use a bit of further tweaking in some spots, but overall I'm fairly happy with it.

[​IMG]
    This is just some notes on the car I'm working with, and initial (since changed) ideas on where certain bits should go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An initial sketch on how the upper body transformation may work out, with a piston action built around the car's small trunk space to compress things a bit. Still needs some work. The unique setup of the Spyder's center console allows for some built-in armature action, though.

[​IMG]
    Further thoughts on the hood. After this was drawn up, a friend suggested using the middle of the hood as a set of 'wings' instead of having to struggle to tuck it away somewhere. Usually that's more Bumblebee's thing, but in the name of laziness, I decided to go with that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notes on a revised layout for everything. The legs are still vaguely-defined, but the upper body and arms are fairly fleshed-out now. The plan is to have the car seats run parallel to the doors to bulk up the arms a bit.

[​IMG]
    A more proper bit of 'concept art,' albeit with a strangely-proportioned neck. I still need to figure out how much of the car's front will stay with the upper body, and how much will go into the upper arms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the lower arms, the plan is to have the hands come out from the seat-backs, (while the headrests fold away) which would run parallel to the doors containing weaponry. (A crescent-cannon based off the Movie for his right arm, and a grappling hook like his G1 and Fall of Cybertron incarnations for the left) This is some thoughts on how the door in particular would transform, to hide the empty space in the middle when he's in vehicle mode. Having to work with the door's more rounded shaping presents something of an interesting challenge.

[​IMG]
    And finally, while the planning is still going on (with the legs in particular needing further thought) I have begun to deconstruct the 3D model of the Spyder I'll be working with, so that I can fill in the missing portions (Mainly the trunk area under the hood) and then begin building the robot parts within.

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. This is going to take a while.

Step 0: Planning
    Step 1: Carve Up The Car
    Step 2: Add In Missing Details
    Step 3: Recolor!
    Step 4A: Build Robot Parts
    Step 4B: Check Transformation
    Step 5: Repeat Steps 4A and B Until Done
    Step 6: Detail Pass (Autobot Logos, etc.)
    Step 7: Profit?

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Fallout

Fallout wake up motherfucker, and smell the slime!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i love that sketch of movie jazz's head

• Like Like x 1
  4. chchchch

chchchch Floptimus Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I just stumbled across this and I don't have any useful thoughts for you other than this is fascinating and I can't wait to see what you do next with it! I've dabbled in 3D modeling all of my life so this is instantly interesting to me, are you still working on it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ColdGoldLazarus

Thank you! I've been having some computer issues lately that have prevented me from being able to make much progress, but I'm hoping to make up for that once I've got things fixed.

• Like Like x 1