Minor/Repaint: Project Re-Birth (CW Lord Straxus)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by saucesmithco, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Outstanding work! I love me some Straxus custom work.

• Like Like x 1
  2. REM2010

REM2010 till all are one an “treated equally” as one lol

damm thats to clever get use of a bot into a new bot nice work

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gokai Tahu

Gokai Tahu Emotionally compromised

Where'd you get the megatron head mold for polyhex?

• Like Like x 1
  4. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    Thos is the most awesome t hi ing ever!

• Like Like x 1
  5. saucesmithco

saucesmithco Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the positivity, folks!

And as a token of appreciation - before I get down to responding to some of your messages - here's some bonus pics!

That's right, Straxus kinda works with blast effects! Or at least any you can wedge into the main canon. The second one is from Cyberverse Deluxe Megatron and it sort of fits over the top of the Lego Technic connector protruding from the barrel. As the Lonely Island might sing: "Still counts."
    20200428_150658-01.jpeg 20200428_150838-01.jpeg

And I thought I might as well show you what he looks like with the axe fully integrated into his alt mode. It's... not bad. But it's not quite the silhouette of his flying cannon mode in the comics.

20200428_151229-01.jpeg

Okay, to the responses:

Straxus is actually a mix of parts from the regular release Scattershot and Silverbolt to get as close as possible to his colour scheme before painting. You can also buy the CBB KO of Silverbolt if you don't want to wreck your original. Sadly, the CW/UW Technobots haven't been KO'd yet.

You and me both! This was quite a PITA to create, but I kept coming back to it. This lockdown finally gave me the push to finish it.

They're KOs from CBB. I bought mine from SirToys but they should be available from other stockists too. As an example:

CBB CW Superion Multicolor - Combiner - SirToys.com

I don't actually remember how the idea came together. It's just fortuitous that roughly aligning his limbs like that bore a close resemblance to his flying cannon mode (Scattershot's hollow wing pieces in particular). Probably a good job his alt mode was so ridiculous to begin with!

I took a mold of the front half of CW Leader Megatron's head using Blue Stuff and filled that with Milliput. This was then grafted to the rear section of the Superion/Betatron head and sanded until it fit. There isn't a great amount of clearance, so old Meg's head ended up quite a bit narrower at the top but it still works!

Yeah, one of the most memorable for me too, clearly! Even if it was just a way to fix continuity between the US/UK comics, loved the way they tied it up too.

Okay, that's it folks, thanks again for the feedback! Any questions, keep 'em coming!

• Like Like x 5
  6. Gokai Tahu

Gokai Tahu Emotionally compromised

Interesting, I actually really like the narrow look on the head, for some reason the whole thing evokes the marvel comics look perfectly for me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. saucesmithco

News Credits:
    Thanks! I think it helps that the black on Megatron was generally represented by blue in the comics, which helps match with the actual blue of Straxus.

• Like Like x 2
  8. THE 1

THE 1 GUNFIGHTER

This is a great representation of one of my favorite Marvel-era characters. Great re-imaginig of the storyline they used in the comics. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Nice homage to the first "Expanded Fiction" Decepticon heavy! :thumb 

I find the Scattershot mold isn't quite beefy enough to say "Straxus" to me, but you're selling the idea pretty well here! Good work.

And that alt-mode is a weird, scary mess -- just like it's supposed to be! :lol 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  10. saucesmithco

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's the one real doubt I had and why the rest of the details were key to making him feel like Straxus. I'd hope any official toy of the character would have the requisite amount of heft to him!

• Like Like x 2