Problems with dead pixels on Wii

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bumble Prime, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

So im shipping my Wii off for repairs, it started showing lines of dead pixels in light areas on the tv. Called Nintendo and its still under warranty so no big deal they foot the bill, but anyone know why this happened and how to prevent it?

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds really weird. Usually dead pixels is a display problem, not a console problem.

Did you try it with different connectors? ie, Component, composite?

3. Bumble Prime

yeah and the only system or anything hooke dup to the tv with problems was the wii. When i called tech support they knew exactly what i was talking about.

There are threads on the nintendo site that discuss the problem, but amazingly there are no replies from actual nintendo employees........so you got a bunch of people diagnosing the problem but no real answers....

The consensus was it was an issue with the video card, some people said it was due to overheating....

heres a nice little blog post on the problem

http://kylepoint.com/wiidisplayissue/

thats exactly what happened to mine

4. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Wow, that really sucks. My Wii so far has been really good, and I've only have very intermittent and rare game lockups. I've had the problem with my PS2 as well, so I never thought much of it.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That's weird. I've been into tech and what not for a while now, and I have never heard of something like this. Since stuck or dead pixels tend to have nothing to do with other hardware outside of the screen.

6. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Overheating of the video processor/RAM can cause all sorts of weird shit with the graphics.

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, this actually sounds like what happened with one of my PCs when the video card fan seized up.

8. Bumble Prime

i really hope this a defective graphics card issue and not a persistent Wii design flaw issue....... cuz eventually im gonna run out of warranty

9. BetaSword

BetaSword Well-Known Member

That's true, currently, my GeForce7600GT with 256MB is having that issue due to a near-dead fan.
    I recently cleaned it, and tried to open the fan itself.
    Unluckily, the fan isn't openable without destruction, so I have to maintain it's motion manually sometimes.
    Until i gotr a new fan, i moved a PC-Slot-Fan, that I got myself before i went from a 1GHzAthlon to a Athlon64 3500+, in order to maintain a good heat-flow out of my PC.

Issues with overheating are most times dead pixels, but also displaced Polygon-parts LordArphaun(HellgateLondon) looked like having a snot coming out, spikes on the players Armor/Body(HellgateLondon,OverlordRaisingHell) and other ingame glitches.
    Also it can cause the running Program to kill itself, leaving you an Error-Message.

btw: mine also has the glitches, even tough, i got it from a Shop on January 3rd. maybe it's a Design-problem, just because of that really compact design, but I wouldn't exclude a mistake of the Quality Checkers on this issue, 'cause it could come from some really crappy fans inside the Wii.
    However this is my first Nintendo-Console having so much gliches, like in MP3, where the game just hung up with loading the next areas, leaving me able to run around the current room without any hope to get out -> had to hit Reset for the first time then.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only problem I have expereinced with the Wii is an odd freeze up that tells me to shut the power off... but you can't! I can press the power on and off but the screen with the message remains. I have to actually unplug it to get it out of that. It's only happened twice though. Kinda wierd, but Nintendo is great about systems and repairs.

11. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

That's nothing, I once had my computer screw up and not want to turn off/reset. I push the switch to turn off the PSU and it stayed on. Freaked the shit out of me. I mean how is that even possible?

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I just noticed this yesterday when my daughter was playing on the Wii. I freaked out that the TV was crapping out. When I switched through all of my inputs, the Wii was the only one doing this. I guess I should give Nintendo a call on this.

13. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The exact same thing started happening to my Wii about 3 months after I got it, but I procrastinated before calling Nintendo.

I had about 2 weeks left on my warranty when I sent it off 2 weeks ago, but when I got a "brand new" replacement console last week, they said I had another full year warranty on it.

Not bad... I mean, if it's gonna fail, chances are it'll happen within the first year.

14. Bumble Prime

yeah i had three weeks left on my warranty lol

thank god for the registratioin extension

15. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    First time I've heard of this, but I will definitely keep an eye on my Wii for this kind of thing happening.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Kinda scary, especially since I got mine at launch. No problems, but my warranty must be up by now.

Are there any fixes people have come up with for those with no warranty left?

17. BetaSword

Well, you should get a new Fan into the Wii, as this problem is most probably heat-based.(read my first post for description)

18. Bumble Prime

people also were saying the overheating is caused by wii connect 24 keeping the system "on" all the time

19. BetaSword

As far as i'm informed, one of the last Updates made the Wii keeping the Fan on in WiiConnect24-Mode. But, well switching it off during when you're not playing saves you about 10W.
    But even with the latest Update, the Wii keeps getting quite warm when it's not switched off.

20. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I noticed that too, when I was working around it near my DVD display. My Wii though doesn't use the WiFi and is connected to the network using the LAN Adapter. It always seems to be "warm" even when in standby. I'm thinking of completely shutting it down when not in use.