Primacy #4

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Anguirus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well THAT sure ended with a whimper.

Unless you're a big fan of Livio drawing giant battle scenes, it's hard to recommend this issue. Whatever the Dille-Metzen team brought to the table, I'm going to have to say IDW Transformers comics have clearly outgrown them.

Grimlock kills Blackwall. Optimus "king of the roads" Motormaster. That Dude What Hated Hot Rod saves Hot Rod and renounces the Decepticons, only to get immediately ripped apart by Razorclaw. The Dynobots beat up the Predacons. Megatron is all "what have I done" for some reason and blathers his way over to Trypticon saying he's gonna fix everything, but when he gets there all he does is kill Autobots. Optimus gets there and the two of them for real now have an orange axe vs. purple flail fight. Megatron is still crybabying about the Quintessons and how he's infected with a dark spark of limitless power. Optimus is all like "wtf i got this" and seriously

SERIOUSLY

rips open his chest and insta-cures Megatron with the Power Of The Fucking Matrix.

Then Optimus is all like "but hey Megatron you're totally bad anyway" and Megatron is all like "yeah totes you suck." So Optimus coldcocks him, locks him up, and broadcasts a big holo of himself to scare off the rest of the Decepticons.

Oh and The Moral Of The Story is don't forget that war destroys stuff, because then you might forget it's bad and have yourself one!

2. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I AM a massive fan of Livio battle scenes...and I am so not digging this trilogy. Pure completionist reading

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a bad 'un. I mean, they don't even really explain what Megatron's trying to do. Transfer Pentius's Spark OUT of Trypticon? To stop him... "consuming" Cybertron? Why do they talk like Pentius is in MEGATRON later, then - in more than just a "lingering influence" way? Did he transfer them between scenes? If he didn't, why does purging Megatron also purge Trypticon? It's all just so VAGUE.

4. Skullgrinner

Skullgrinner Well-Known Member

Your summary was far more enjoyable than the actual issue.

5. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    It's so very...bad Dreamwave. Look, look at our references! LOOK AT THEM!

I love the axe/flail. I do, but it was far more apropos in Origins or RID. This trilogy...I must write something!

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ding, dong, the shitty miniseries is dead, the shitty miniseries is dead, the shitty miniseries is dead!

Thank god this is finally over. Please never let this team work on another TF book again, kthx.

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I non-ironically like Autocracy. I even found good in the mess that was Monstrosity. This series...why did it exist? It clearly wasn't allowed to resolve anything with the Quintessons or reveal anything of value about the course of the war.

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Autocracy had a reason to be and a story with a start, middle and end that made sense and progressed logically. Monstrosity dealt with a point in history that we had heard about but got to see, but did so through three completely unrelated parallel plots, which it then tried to present as "coming together" for the finale when they were just mashed awkwardly into one another.

THIS... I dunno. It gets to the end and there's a coda that acts like the series is supposed to have been about a doubting Optimus Prime reaffirming his faith in the Autobot cause and the rightness of his actions, but that's not what the series was ABOUT.

9. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

Well that was rather abrupt....

10. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron Big ol' Nightbeat fanboy

News Credits:
    Well, I hate to say it, but that was a load of old gash. Various awkwardly drawn boxes on legs (I'm usually not too bothered by Ramondelli's art, but that big panel with everyone running at each other was just hideous), the dialogue was stilted as buggery, and the plot (what there was of it) meandered towards a tiny little spurt of a denouement. That ending was just... gah, thank christ Rodimus knackered the Matrixguffin so it can't be used like that again!

11. Rork

Rork Fruitloop Multipuck

It all went a bit movieverse with the "I am Optimus Prime" lark. Whatever it was trying to achieve...it didn't.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

The OP's description was way more entertaining than these humourless and bland comics which got me thinking wouldn't it amusing for another edition of these to exist with an added on swerve catch-up page or have him narrating (taking the piss out of) the 'action'

13. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, there was a lot of stuff in this issue that seemed to want to be deep and meaningful, but was actually just incoherent blathering.

14. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So the takeaway that I got from the entire series is that the Quintessons are coming en masse at some point. Otherwise, that was ending was a major let down with ZERO resolution. It will take one hell of a story in a later book to create something salvageable from this one. Barber and friends have their work cut out for them, and I don't envy that task although as editor he really should have put his foot down on the non-ending ending.

The only nice thing about it is that there were some nice looking panels (although a bit too dark like Ramondelli's typical work) and I got the sub version with Sarah Stone's usual top notch cover art.

As others said, this was complete fluff that added nothing when it could have done so much more. Here's to hoping Drift: Empire of Stone's story doesn't suck so badly. (At least the art in that will probably be more coherent thanks to Guidi.)

15. steamsixliner

steamsixliner Well-Known Member

Wow, that was the worst comic since Windblade and along with it a top 3 candidate for worst TF comic ever. So many "look, an Sunbow reference!!!!"-moments. So little logic.

16. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Oh hey, look. It's Rung and Swerve... That's all I got to say about this.

17. Autobot Hound

Autobot Hound Combaticon

News Credits:
    Yeah- that was disappointing. I bought it when someone told me the Combaticons were in it. And the whole little side story of Starscream tracking down the A-team of the Decepticons in Issue #2 had me hoping for a nice little payoff there later. Instead, what we get is Onslaught rushing in to kill someone, basically saying "HULK SMASH!"... and then getting knocked out with one shot. They didn't need Onslaught there at all.

When he can be easily replaced in a scene with any old Con thug, there isn't much point in having Onslaught or the Combaticons, who are all (with the exception of Brawl) actually rather intelligent. They're fearsome not just because they have brawn and combat experience, but the brainpower to do something with it. I was expecting some sort of plan, some strategy, like the Combaticons might be off on the side trying to sabotage something in Iacon, or perhaps work against Omega Supreme, or ...well, anything. To see something of the intelligent strategist Onslaught is supposed to be. Seeing it reduced to "GRRRR- HULK SMASH" was disappointing. Makes me glad Blast Off, my favorite, wasn't even in this issue. He's supposed to be aristocratic and aloof, and instead would've probably just been "YEAH BOSS LET'S SMASH 'EM UP!" before also getting knocked out with one shot. Ugh.

Really, it felt to me like most all the Con gestalt teams were rather unremarkable and easily interchanged with one another. (Other than maybe the Predacons wanting to bite people XD)

18. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's an idea: writers should be forbidden from working G1's ep 1-3 and '86 references into their works from now on, whether or not they themselves were involved with the show back then.

Seriously, this bugged the hell out of me during Autocracy (and Monstrosity until I just gave up on that series): outdated storytelling fluffed up with references one might remember from your past - as in: the casual fan who only really remembers those parts of the G1 cartoon.

Sigh.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Glad I never bothered with this -acy series.

20. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    So how long until they pull a big broadcast of 2006 and give an extra page in the trade featuring Wreck-Gar going:

"And that's all folks! That's how Optimus Prime saved the day!"

"Really?"

"FUCKIN' NOPE! I MADE ALL THAT SHIT UP! I'M A FUCKING CANNIBAL REMEMBER. I'M CRAZY YOU DUMB SHIT!"

"Oh."