Primacy #3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Skullgrinner, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Skullgrinner

Skullgrinner Well-Known Member

So
    Pentilus has somehow jumped from being Tyripticon to possessing Megatron?

Did this series just jump the sharkticon?

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I said in another thread, I normally defend Ramondelli but the art here was underwhelming. Did Metroplex step on Trypticon's head? Sometimes I couldn't tell what was going on. Tryp's head was quite poorly drawn. Seemed like he put more of his effort into the RID issue than this.

I feel like the first issue--maybe second--started off pretty strong for the books in this series (including Autocracy and Monstrosity). This issue felt a little off and unfocused.

3. Skullgrinner

Skullgrinner Well-Known Member

Yes Metroplex giving Trypticon a Chelsea smile was about the only highlight. The "clash of the titans" felt totally flat and the artwork was terrible. I really liked Autocracy and Monstrosity but this one feels at the moment like it has nothing to say.

4. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Not the best issue. The ground battle was lackluster with really little more than officers shouting at troops to advance/retreat. Too much tell, not enough show.

The worst offense though was making a battle between Titans feel boring. Although, I partly blame this on the writers for giving them too much to say while brawling.

I've been a fan in general of the -acy series, but this was probably the dullest chapter. Probably not the worst, as it wasn't actively bad, but definitely the dullest.

5. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Well in Monstrosity Megatron did push Pentius spark into his own body, so it is not the mad that part of his personality would be lodge itself within Megatron.

I liked the art, but like others I could not quite figure out what was happening to Trypticons head.

Decent issue though, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Pentilus is possessing both sense they share his spark.

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I guess even though this is supposed to be a pay-off issue, it still felt like a set-up because the battle was underwhelming. Sorry Livio Ramondelli...though it's not totally your fault, as the writing is a pretty transparent attempt to evoke tactics without actually having any. Optimus and the Autobots holding their ground and repelling the Sharkticons is a "bold tactic" Megatron? Sigh.

Blackwall vs. Grimlock also a bit lame and not well telegraphed...having him pop up in backgrounds is not foreshadowing, and I liked him better before he talked. Now he's just a generic thug who's in for an axing.

The one bit that kind of rises up is the reveal at the end that Megatron might have doomed the planet with his own success, because that's ALWAYS an interesting conflict for Megatron, and making it a physical enemy (Pentius, maybe other Quints) is harder for him to ignore or blame on others than something like "fuel shortage".

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Ambitious issue.
    I agree though that more editing was needed to tie together the flow of the comic's storyboards and narrative. I couldn't tell what was going on, it was being told to me. The entire comic is a paragraph summary of events not an experience; as a face-off between titans should be.

9. Rork

Rork Fruitloop Multipuck

I felt this happened a lot. Too many times I was turning the image around trying to work out what I was looking at or what was happening.

I thought this had a good use of the Junkions...although that plain flooded a lot for those Sharkticons to stay submerged...

(And some serious Grimlock badassery :D  )

10. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

I dont think Pentilus has taken control of Megatron. He can just communicate with him because i think Megatron somewhat absorbed his spark. I think the ending was just that Trypticon wasn't dead but the art was so off we perhaps couldn't see his eyes glow properly

11. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Enjoying the story (and the previous -acy volumes) well enough, but I really do not like Livio Ramondelli's art. Dark, muddy, unclear art should not be a thing in a universe of highly detailed, complex robotic beings.

12. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

They better get this Pentius stuff squared away. I prefer my Trypticon as a one-Kaiju show, not a joint op with Judge Squid.

[​IMG]

13. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Once again, Fletzen/Dille ignore IDW continuity so they can tell their shitty story.

In return, I hope the rest of IDW either ignores or retcons the hell out of this series, because it really is awful. It's completely uninteresting, as there are plenty of other major battles in the war that we've heard of, like Simanzi or Hell's Point, but instead we get this series, which is just a vessel for having Metroplex and Trypticon fight (because just like in G1 lulz). Also, why the fuck is there a Quintesson? Just to force some more G1 season 3 elements for no real reason?

Ramondelli's art is a problem, but the story is the weakest link here. I hope once Primacy is finished, we can see this creative team gone from IDW continuity. There are far superior writers and artists that could have made a far superior miniseries.

14. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

I thought as well that Primacy was going to cover the greatest battles of the Great War. I even remember a preview or synopsis referring to it as a "Lord of the Rings" thing, with sweeping battles and significant hallmarks in the war...

We definitely got LOTR, but not in the way I was expecting or hoping for...

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Couldn't even make it through the entire thing. Just dire. Thank god there's only one more issue of this horrible series left.

Actually, it's really a good thing that this series isn't covering Simanzi or Hell's Point (as I was afraid it would). After how much they've been built up, this team would have never been able to do them justice.

And I have to say... Shockwave followed Megatron out of fear? The fuck? Do Dille/Metzen even know what continuity they're supposed to be writing in? Rhetorical question, because ever since Autocracy it's been blatantly obvious that they don't.

As for the "Lord of the Rings" comparison... yeah, no. Livio's art has zero weight behind it, which is especially bad for the Metro/Tryp fight. It's just dull, and it's real sad that Sarah's one cover has more energy in it than the entirety of the actual fight in the comic.

Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  16. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Series is ok.

I wasnt expecting miracles and I didnt get any.

17. gregles

gregles quintesson

I agree that this series is really bad, nearly heart of darkness territory. At least the car crash movies of this franchise are occassionally fun or unintentionally hilarious, this was the one of the dullest pieces of fiction I have ever seen.

The Titans are supposed to be mysterious, unknowable and godly in Idw continuity not reeling out terribly borring and generic action hero one-liners mid battle,

Unless I'm mistaken hasn't this comic been out a week? and we are only starting a thread now, if we have left it this long, why bother?

18. castrobabble

castrobabble Well-Known Member

I just read it. I was also confused by some of the art, but I'm not hating it. It's different enough to pique my interest. I was surprised also at the Shockwave connection to fear...I scratched my head here especially since Shockwave, in all other continuities, is written as a cold logicicall badass and not one to show emotion.

Best moment in the comic <spoiler> was when Megatron speared Metroplex with his ship. I was definitely not expecting that.

19. GenZen88

GenZen88 Active Member

I liked Metroplex giving the curb stomp (a la American History X) to Trypticon despite the incredibly murky artwork. I've re-read all IDW TF in the past two months and have to say this is a thoroughly confusing mini-series.

I'm not feeling the idea that Pentius is responsible for Megatrons future endeavours. Let's hope that weak idea is snuffed out in the final issue. Meg's is his own man surely.

Yes!