Heavy/Scratch: Pretender Starscream WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dsn1014, Sep 27, 2011.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to give credit to Aprim for this idea, working with a 1/100 gundam to make my pretender Starscream. Worked on the head so far and this is what I came up with so far. Gonna use a rts Screamer for it, should work nicely.

I hope to do a few more mods to the model to make him look more like the original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looking great so far!

3. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's looking really promising...

4. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Absolutely hated the idea of Pretenders but there is NOOOO denying that this looks good. Damn good!

5. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    exelant

6. Shinbs

Shinbs Well-Known Member

Pretenders are dumb as hell IMO.Not only a ****** idea,but they also LOOK ridiculous.
    But I gotta say that your project IS looking rather cool.

7. dsn1014

Thanks everyone.

I've never not liked Pretenders lol, but thats not to say their toys weren't somewhat lackluster. That said there are a couple that are really quite cool.

So far I'm quite pleased with the head. Pulled the face from a cheap toy I found in the poundshop, delighted he fits in the helmet so snuggly. The horns will have to do as sculpting isn't really anything that I have experience in, but I think they get the point across lol

I want to mod up the the chest to be more like the original and I have to find wings to add to the back as well.

The original toy had a very organic vibe to it with muscled arms and leathery looking gloves and shoulder pads. Unfortunately I have nothing to swap the gundam arms out of it, but in my mind maybe Iron Man arms would suit to give it a more organic look. But for now I'm going with the arms I have.

Wish I had a Legends Bumblebee and Jazz as well hehe

Cheers for looking :) 

8. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Can't wait to see this. Starscream's Pretender shell caught my attention, boxart, G1 toy, and in the More Than Meets the Eye profile book!

9. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Looking good so far. I also thought the Pretenders were a dumb idea. I've seen other Pretender shells and bot remade that look totally kick ass. Can't wait to see this finished. Will this also have a small bot to go with it?

10. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the thumbnail looks like a mummified captain Picard in a samurai helmet

11. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

All Hail Starcream!

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really like the Gundam of choice for this. I think it's gonna rock. The Decepticons should look out!

13. dsn1014

It'll be nothing as nice as the work you've done, but thanks very much, it's appreciated.

Thanks very much :) 

They're not everyone's cup of tea, but I like em well enough, not fond of how static the old shells are, they designed lots of cool monsters and action figures, but they were ruined by the gimmick.

I always like the Classic Pretenders, the bots inside were much better than the starved looking originals, they may not have had as much articulation, but they looked like things I could recognise. They looked great in the Marvel Comics as well.

That's a bunch of really nice customs done by aprim, though there have been several others who have made nice updates too. I can't speak of the quality of this fella til he's done lol. I'm pairing him with the RTS Starscream toy, he won't go in the figure, but it'd be nice to find a way to attach him at the back.

excellent?

hehe, put that to music and I expect that's his thoughts most of the time

I do like the Gundam myself, lucky as he was all that was available locally at the time. But the shoulder pads are far too broad, I'll definitely need to snip them back a bit. I trimmed back the arms as I was missing a piece and I didn't like the gimmick in them anyway, so now they fall by his sides. I don't think he'll suffer from losing a bit from the shoulders.

[​IMG]

Starscream's shell had his wings attach on the outside too because they wouldn't fit in the shell on the original. I dug out a broken KO Superion set and cut the wings from Air Raid, they're the same type of plane I'm sure, so the wings are the right kind. They're mounted on his back now, finally that crap KO comes in handy for something, but I kind of wish I'd kept the hinges on them so they could still move about a bit.

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone for the interest :) 

14. dsn1014

Work continues, I really didn't like the arms, so an Iron Man had to get taken apart, for the greater evil of course. Looking a lot more on track to me now. Just have to figure out how to combine Starscream to his back, do some cleaning up and I'm set for paint.

[​IMG]

15. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Those arms are even Better!
    Man this is so amazing!

16. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Love the use that you put into Altron and Shenlong Gundam's models, man! Looking back at the box art and now your interpretation, I get the feeling that Starscream's shell is more than some random armored conqueror look! :thumb 

17. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Nice update. Looking really good. I think the arms are a good choice.

18. dsn1014

Thanks very much, the old arms bothered me as they were far too boxy for my tastes and while these aren't organic they give enough smooth lines to suggest that there are fleshy arms beneath, suits me :) 

It's been nice to have the two kits as a lot of the sprues are exactly the same, so mistakes on one piece can be corrected quickly. I should really look into getting some more for this purpose. The original shells are really misleading as regard what he's trying to be, but I always thought they were cool, I'm just glad to be able to free them him up and add more detail.

Cheers the arms are working a dream. I pulled them out of an Iron Man figure I had. Cutting holes in the side of the gundam, they slotted in perfectly. Couldn't have asked for better, I'm very pleased. I think they match the torso for my purposes much better.

I keep seeing parts that need to be done as well, completely forgot I've to fill in the chest as I'm happy with the shape of it now. Other things keep catching my eye, but I'll keep working to them.

And here's the Screamer I'm working with
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy aka BrickBotGuy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Can't say I see many pretender customs that aren't Bludgeon or Thunderwing. This is a truely unique piece. :) 

So, is legends Screamer gonna be able to fit inside? Looks like a tight squeeze...

(Also- ironically enough, the origional Pretender Starscream/Jazz/Bumblebee inner robots were released by themselves as 'Legends', so your using a Legends Starsream is a refernce in itself!)

20. dsn1014

Thanks very much,

Starscream would have to be about the size of my thumbnail to fit in there, I'll be happy to hook him on the back of the model in alt mode. I really want a Jazz and Bumblebee to do them someday too, but best get this one done first lol.