Preserving ratchet joints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by daddytron, Dec 8, 2012.

1. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Hope this is the proper place for this- anyway...

I have seen many people mention blown ratchet joints on figures (particularly MPs and 3rd party) and I wonder if it makes a difference in long term wear and tear how these joints are moved. For instance instead of moving a ratchet joint three clicks all at once I will slowly but steadily move it one click at a time. Is doing this more, less, or equally likely to keep the joint from wearing out? Also wonder if this kind of handling may have prevented broken limbs on MP Rodimi which seem to be so prevalent (have had a Takara v1, v2, and Hasbro without this happening and wonder if I am just stupid lucky or if my handling of the figure has helped, and might help others).

2. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Interesting topic. I can't recall ever ruining a ratchet joint on any of my Hasbro or Takara figures. I think they have a pretty good handle on how to make joints like that after years of practice. But just to be safe I still move them the way you do, one click at a time.

Did all the MP Rodimus figures have bad ratchets? I thought it was just the black version because of the blue plastic they used.

3. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

T_T My Leader Optimus Prime's ratchet joint literally just went out.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I've had a SL Unicron with useless ratchets on the right knee after years of just sitting in a box, and I got an opened RID Megatron [as in, the RID2000 series] who on the right shoulder, had a ratchet that was broken\not used when compared to the left one.

5. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

To both of the above posts :(  That really sucks. Still wondering if the handling makes any difference. Didn't save the right knee of my MP Megs, whose knee ratchet broke and socket stretched the 2nd time I transformed him. But I suspect and like to think that was more a plastic tolerance/assembly issue rather than me being ham handed.

6. yesidoknow

yesidoknow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there a way to restore ratchet joints? The FOC jazz won't stand because the knee joint doesn't hold.

7. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Personally, i'm starting to feel that Hasbro should start teaming up with the Revoltech team in terms of Ratchet joints. Revoltech joints are just so... magical.

8. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Some people used Molybdenum Grease on TFC Herucles, but that of course means taking joints apart.

9. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    just buy a new one, BBTS is blowing them out for $7

10. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I wonder if the same trick used for tightening ball joints would work on those gear shaped joints as well. Even if it does work, I also think buying a clearance Jazz is the best way to go. Or the old store swap. Buy a new one from a place like Walmart and take the one with the bad knee back later for a refund. Hasbro gets their defective toy back, Walmart gets credit from them, and you get a decent Jazz. The universe remains in balance.

11. yesidoknow

News Credits:
    I'd still be paying 16 with shipping. maybe if I was buying more than one it would be more feasible.

I've thought about that. But I'd have to find one first. I haven't seen one in the past few trips to TRU or walmart. Maybe I'll see if target has one.

12. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    I've never run into a ruined ratchet joint myself, but this was the first thing I thought of when I entered this thread. In theory, it shouldn't be that much different from, say, thickening a tab or the like, right?

Give that a shot and let us know how it goes. Might be a handy trick to employ in the future.

13. yesidoknow

News Credits:
    It'll have to wait until tuesday when I get bad. Future floor polish right?

14. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Or glue. It's really a "pick your poison" kind of thing. I personally use glue, but most swear by the floor polish.

15. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

I had a Totally grinded down FP left shoulder ratchet for lateral movement.

I put some nail polish, used a toothpick to get the extra liquid between the ''spikes'' then some more. then a bit on the sides. It doesn't click that much but it's good and solid man :p . Prefer it than the loose mess it was before the fix :D 

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I suppose nail polish or suchlike would work, but then as it gets worn off wouldn't it gum up inside the ratchet?

As for how a ratchet is manipulated I guess it comes down to motion impact and friction wearing. If you do it slowly one click at a time then I assume the motion impact is reduced and the friction wearing is increased, and vice-versa for if you rattle through multiple clicks in one go. As to which scenario causes the ratchet to degrade less though I can't honestly say. Maybe we need someone that's studied materials science to investigate.

I like the old style ratchets with multiple internal parts and a spring. I hate the more cheapo modern version that's just two edged pieces pinned together in a hinge as they tend to put stress on the plastic and I often find myself shaving down the edges to reduce the stress of both the plastic and of my nerves when moving those joints.

17. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    You can tighten ratchet joints by putting material behind the spring so the gear will have more pressure against the pawl.

For "soft ratchets" you can use Future.

18. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I did the same toothpick trick with Alternity Magnus, who had a loose hip joint right out of the box. I can't remember if the joint was ratcheted but it wasn't a ball joint. I used super glue instead of polish.