Prepay phones or pay as you go

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TFW10, Nov 16, 2012.

1. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My contract just ended and I don't want to be locked into a contract.

So, I was wondering do any of you have a prepay or pay as you go phone?

Do any of you like it and which type do you have?

Thanks

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It depends on how much you plan on using your phone, how much data you plan on consuming, and how much you plan on texting. There is a point where a prepaid plan is more cost effective, and there are prepaid plans that are month-to-month, though the point of a longer contract is to leverage better deals for that locked-in payment.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've always had a pay as you go phone, because I loathe the commitment to pay x amount to some company month after month, regardless of what happens. A good example is my current phone, who was with Orange UK. They were absorbed by some shitbag company called EE, and now I don't even get signal in my house (no problems with Orange).

Needless to say, the phone is now essentially useless. If it were contract, I'd be screwed. But because it's PAYG I can just order a free O2 sim and change things up. Always preferred O2 anyway.

So, I'd always say PAYG before contract.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends on usage. I almost never use a phone. I use a Tracfone. It is you pay for minutes and get 90 days to use them.. or add more days. I never use it so $20 for 90 minutes for 90 days lasts me.

5. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I use Virgin Mobile. $35 a month with no contract for 300 minutes talk (which I hardly use) and unlimited 3g/4g and text. Only drawback is having to buy the phone.

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree 100% with rattrap007. All of these cell phone commercials say "only $XX.XX per month"...and at the rate I use minutes $7 a month is WAAAAY lower than those. Almost all Tracfones have at least double minutes for life... Plus the phone I have is pretty good. It's not an iPhone...but I can play games, listen to music...even check email and facebook (it's sort of a pain...but not bad in a pinch)

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have an AT&T GoPhone that I've had for probably about 6 years now...long enough that most of the printing has worn off the keys. The phone itself is just a cheap basic cell phone that cost me about $25 at the time of purchase and has pretty much no features other than making calls (it might text message, but not sure). The cost to make calls is $0.25 per minute, but I use my phone so rarely that I maybe only spend $5 a month. I reload the account with $25 every 90 days to keep it active, so the price averages out to ~$8 a month. For someone who hardly ever uses their phone and isn't interested in texting or data usage or whatever, it's an excellent choice.

8. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Makes sense. I use my celphone more as a tiny portable computer than I do for talking, so I don't mind paying the extra money for fast unlimited data, but limited minutes.

9. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks guys for the input I'm definitely going to buy one.

10. racbgar

racbgar Well-Known Member

what rattrap said I love my Tracfone. The one I have right now and basically all their phones now (it seems) give you double minutes. I always buy the 60 minute card and get an extra 60 for free because of the phone I use.

11. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I've got Koodo prepaid and it's pretty decent. $15/month for unlimited texting. I don't use a lot of data but I put $25 on it and that gives me 500MB that never expires so long as I pay for my texting. My school has wifi so I only go through like 50MB/month in data. I also put $25 on 500 minutes of talking nation-wide as well which works out to 5 cents/minute. Those don't expire either, and it'll take me months to go through the voice and data, so until I need to top them up again it's only $15, and I'm not locked into anything. I'm in Canada though, so that probably won't help you if you're American.