Preferred Megatron Vehicle Mode (G1)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by HereticalHeresy, Feb 25, 2015.

?

Which form?

1. Gun

62 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. Tank

124 vote(s)
    49.4%
  3. Jet

8 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Stealth Bomber

14 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Helicopter

23 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. Truck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Car

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. Other

19 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    What should be Megatron's alt mode?

Spawned from toy debates, the character who has gone through more alt-modes than anyone in the series is definitely Megatron. He's been a gun, tank, jet, a truck and more. If you were able to give a definitive alt mode that would last Megatron for generations of series, what would it be?

I personally think Stealth Bomber was his best vehicle mode, like in IDW. It felt so fitting. It was large and in charge, however it never felt like it was just strength, it was almost like there was a bit of a sophistication to it, which I feel is fitting for his character. Tanks put emphasis on his brute strength, but not so much his cunning and other abilities. That being said, Tank Megatron is still cool, but if I had the choice, I'd make him a bomber like in IDW.

2. Gerth

Gerth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The gun, for the mere purpose of being the gun,

3. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    A gun. Who cares about mobility when he can fly?

4. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    I really liked the massive Helicopter he was in Animated, but if not that, then a Tank or Stealth Bomber.

5. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A tank/jet ala ROTF.

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'm flexible with Megatron. I loved his alt-mode in Animated, but I also am content when he is a tank or jet, too.

7. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    tanker truck to parallel optimus.

first thing they ever did right with movie megatron. also keeps his alt mode a decent size without making him beastly huge or way too small in robot mode.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His Animated one was the best re-imagining. Something with a gun attached to it but can fly like most of the other Decepticons. But a tank makes sense too.

Somehow I also actually liked Dark of the Moon's take on him being a truck. It's an interesting parallel with Optimus.

9. Deceptijeff

Deceptijeff Active Member

Tank like in the IDW-verse. I know his iconic altmode is the gun we all know and love but for me he always made more sense as a dominating altmode that is huge and menacing. What more menacing that a friggin tank! Hasbro finally made my wish come true and gave me the tank Megatron I always wanted and I couldn't be happier.

10. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Care Bear.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    I vote either Tank, Helicopter, or Truck. A tank to show off his might, a helicopter to make the Decepticons rule the skies, or a truck to be a evil parallel to Optimus.

A gun is stupid.

12. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I tend to be in the tank camp myself, although I don't mind the stealth bomber.

The gun always came off as kinda weak to me even back in the '80s (and especially nowadays when Hasbro can't even do one proper - meaning realistic-looking and without an orange plug), and a truck comes off as too flat-out Nemesis Prime Optimus-knockoffish to me.

13. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    I'm gonna go with tank, mainly because my favorite design for him of all time is his War for Cybertron design.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Helicopter.

To quote myself from another thread on this topic:

And my opinion hasn't changed.

The Stealth Bomber design is also a good one, but it's still another jet.

Even back in the days of G1, I didn't like Megatron as a gun. That was one of the reasons I loved Galvatron, his cannon mode wasn't nearly as lame. Out of all the varied modes, being a glorified Targetmaster is easily my least favorite, even over that silly design from Prime.

15. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I still prefer helicopter. It's flight capable, like the Decepticon leader should be, but it separates him from the Seekers, in terms of both looks, and speed.

16. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Helicopter or tank for me. DOTM Megatron pulled off the truck very well, but only because it fit the character at the time; I'm not sure if it could be pulled off in any other scenario.

17. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I love a flying, or tank, alt-mode for Megatron, but preferably Cybertronian in design. The IDW Bomber is great, I love the Cybertronian jets of movie 1 and Prime. My favorite thought is the tank/jet hybrid from ROTF. That whole design was great and I feel it gave him a suitable feel of power with the tank aspects, but then the jet parts gave it a agile or stealthy lool.

18. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

A tank is probably the best choice these days, although to me Megatron will always be a gun. There is something inherently villainous about a robot that turns into a gun; particularly when it doubles as a children's toy. Something about G1 Megatron's alt. mode came across as irredeemably evil. I just couldn't imagine an Autobot turning into an actual handgun.

19. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

I love me a Tank-Megatron. The gun option is just too wacky outside of G1, and three-fifths of all Decepticos seem to be jets. I was tempted to go with Helicopter; Animated sure as hell sold the concept, in what was one of the best Megatron designs, imo, and the most well-designed bot in Animated (by a long shot), but after a bit of consideration, it just seemed too... Fragile. Plus, it's flight capabilities, which are the whole point, are null in Space or any environment without a suitably thick atmosphere.

Tanks? They can tank underwater, they can tank on the moon, hell they can drift through space and pull some A-team shit with their turret as a means of propulsion.

If I had to choose a single altmode for Megatron, I'd have to go with a tank. A big, brutal, sprawling, monster of a tank, ala Armada. The new Generations toy, which I would cut off a finger to see used as the design for some new cartoon, certainly colored my opinion on this a bit.

20. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Nostalgic wise, I'm for a return of a tyrannosuarus alt mode.

But I did like the attack helicopter alt mode from Animated. So I would like to see that used again too.