pre rub

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tiberium51, Dec 28, 2012.

1. tiberium51

tiberium51 Member

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, if so forgive me. I was wondering what pre rub g1 figures are more rare? I just got a soundwave in the box that I believe is pre rub as I cannot find a rub sticker on it and the box seems to have an earlier date.

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    By using Shmax as a resource, amongst their users.

2 collected:
    - Wheeljack (blue canopy version)
    - Jazz (no gray border on box)
    I won't continue to list the no gray border box types, among their normal 1984 versions they will always be the most rare.

5 collected:
    - Brawn (removable helmet type)
    Now firstly, I don't consider this version of Brawn to be particularly rare. I think it ends up being a case of not enough collectors know how to identify this variant, or don't care about it enough.

8 collected:
    - Ratchet (no roof cross)

10 collected:
    - Brawn (slanted helmet type)
    Again see above argument about "Rarity"

URL used:
    Shmax.com: Results

3. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I think their relative (or perceived) rarity comes from the fact that the pre-rub era was just 1984, one year. At that time the Transformers line was the smallest it has ever been as it had just started. From 1985 onwards the toys had the authenticity check introduced by way of rub symbols. Demand for the toys had grown, it was a genuine global phenomenon and of course the toyline itself had been expanded to include many more figures in addition to the 1984 range which was still on sale.

Also, many regions of the world received Transformers and by the time they did (Europe, Japan etc), the toys were being marketed with rubsigns. The pre rub toys were not sold originally in all regions that got the later waves and assortments.

I remember reading a newspaper clipping recently about how scarce some Transformers had become in that first year and the lengths people had to go to in order to find them in stores for the holidays.

All the best
    Maz