Powercore Combiners Double Clutch w/ Rallybots

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gen. Magnus, Aug 4, 2010.

1. highrise

highrise ZombieApocalypse Survivor

If you detach the pegs from his shoulders in torso mode and fiddle a bit with them, they will rest against the back windows of his car mode and put the shoulders at a more reasonable angle...

2. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bought him for 10$ and I like him. I like his car mode and how he looks like a chubby fella in his other two modes. I figured out his PCC arm problem after two or three times turning him into Torso. I attach the drone arms then peg in the doors and they hold in nicely. Last, I slide in the ball joint in and he works out well for me. I like the bright colors since most PCC are dim colored.

Others I gave to try it just kind of squeezed him apart into pieces trying to TF him quickly then gave it to me.

3. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    Don't you dare try to lump me in with that group, I tried, I really tried. That toy is just awful.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

So, today I discovered at a WalMart a treasure trove of TF's my local Target failed to ever cary (sadly, no RTS figures other than the BiS set, which everybody probably already owns at this point if they had any interest in the set, and no Grimstone either). However, among the figures I found was Double Clutch. Seeing that I already owned Mudslinger, I thought "why not complete the wave?" Thank GOD I got Mudslinger first, because DC is easily the worst PCC yet I've gotten.

Vehicle mode: For a scout, not bad. It reminds me of a custom Dodge Charger in a way. The flames are, in my opinion, a neat touch.

Robot mode: The fact this guy was the wavemate to Mudsligner has yet to stop making me wonder what the hell was going on in the design process. Mudslinger isn't perfect, but his ball joints are all tight and rather deeply cut, so there's not a chance his arms are going to pop off at the elbow. So I guess Double Clutch has to make up for it by having his arms pop off almost every time I try to pose him. It also is amazing how stupidly the chest "bumper" limits articulation. It hangs in the path of the arms JUUUUST enough that DC can not pose his arms to point directly foward. At all. The legs aren't much better, although they don't pop off like the elbows do. But what REEEEALY bugs me is how the super mode head is so easily visible in robot mode because the kibble backpack. It's like the designers didn't even try (while the same could be said of Mudslinger, since his super mode head is in even more plain sight, it's not blatantly obvious).

Torso mode: Never before have I ever wanted to throw a figure at the wall. Hell, I've had an easier time transforming my MP Skywarp than I did with this guy, and it's all because of the amazingly idiotic design. More specifically, it's because of how stupid the ARMS are designed. The key problem here is that the doors are supposed to peg into posts on the back to form the super mode drone arm hardpoints, but those "sholderpads" on the super mode head assembly manage to get in the way of the problematic elbow joint. Add into the mix that those posts don't fit into the door holes without some degree of effort, and the end result is that the doors will come off the elbows because the sholderpad kibble makes it PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the elbow joint to accomodate the correct door placement. I've found that it's easier just to pop the door off, put it on the post, and THEN try to put the stupid elbow joint into some position that LOOKS like it's fully in the socket. After wrestling the stupid thing into the proper form, at least it looks and holds together somewhat decently.

Overall: I consider myself a fan of the PCC's, but I honestly have had to make some pretty serious excuses in order to justify the $15 I paid for this thing. I can understand some of the limitations, but the fact the numerous problems this figure has all stem from the crappy DOOR/ARM design and loose elbows is not excuseable, especially when the wavemate for this guy has to deal with giant tires and still gets the job done better. He looks good, but that's about it. Score: 4/10.

5. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

I bought it during the $10 sale, and returned it the very same day. 'Nuff said.

6. DetroitTF3Extra

DetroitTF3Extra Well-Known Member

Is there a way to tell without opening the box if a particular Double Clutch has some of the fixes that are mentioned on the TF Wiki? This guy is pretty much the only PCC 5-pack I like aesthetically, and I wanted to get him after my wife got me a couple PCC 2-packs on clearance at Target (did not own any PCC's before) but I'm just concerned that I won't like it quality-wise. Unfortunately the PCC's are not on clearance where I am... Target has them for $15 and Wal-Mart still has them for $20! A Target near me only had one Double Clutch left and from the recent post by Burnout it seems that it may be still the first release version.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bought this for $5 and if I hadn't already thrown away the box I'd return it.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hhahaahah.

Truthfully though, I rather like Double Clutch as a scout (nice alt mode with unique colours, transformation & robot mode), but as a combiner it fails to me, as do at least 2 of the drones. If I found it somewhere I'd probably pay $10 in total, but its just been so low on my priority list to even bother perusing.