Powercore Combiners Double Clutch w/ Rallybots

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gen. Magnus, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I got this guy yesterday, and while I like him, I want to like him a lot more. I have no real complaints about his design, except how his arms are supposed to peg in for torso mode. I can see what was intended, and it's a good idea, but it just didn't work out right.

The biggest problem I have is with DC's forearms. The balljoints are looser than a $2... ummm... well, really really loose. One pretty much falls off the ball joint if you blow on it right. If these were tighter, I'd be much happier. The drones also have varying tightness. The orange drone pops on and off just fine, just like he should. The blue drone pops on pretty well, but it takes some effort to pull it off. The two legs... They're super duper tight. It takes some muscle to get them on.

I LOVE the way this guy looks. Only gripes are that his chest in bot mode is very broad and it makes his head look really tiny... and as a torso, he kinda looks a little chubby, but certainly not as bad as Energon Prime.

I like the guy, but the arms really need some better QC, if mine is any indication.

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

So, building up the arm pegs with nail polish didn't help. In fact, it made it harder to keep the arms pegged in. So, I decided to go the opposite way. I took the nail polish off and used an exacto knife to take a tiny bit off the sides of the peg. It holds much better now. Still not perfect but, enough to keep me happy. Maybe some of the pegs are just too big.

3. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally found this set. Did the mod the was posted on tformers ( and linked a few pages back ). The arms are much more stable, although they can still pop out of the ball joint if pressed too hard. The problem with mine is the red drone doesn't quite work that well, but if I fiddle with it, the upper body weight can force it to sit right. The legs ball joints were very loose on mine, so much so that having them combined with the drones made it impossible to stand up. (This was not converting the legs like the instructions want you to, and connecting them to the drones like they are in the scout's robot mode.) Coated the ball-joints with some nail polish and they are just fine now.

Took some work (which I don't mind doing) but I fairly satisfied with him now.

4. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    I have leadfoot for a couple of weeks without a desire to open it... then got Doubleclutch from target but didn't know much about it (how good or bad)...

maybe tonight I 'd open them up and see how my 15mo old son likes them...

Bought this set plainly for my son as he likes to play with my transformers... so I really want to pick something easier for him and not much loose parts to be popped out... the drones in this set seem to be ok... no pieces like guns or wings which can be popped off.. I always monitored him while he fiddling... for example on movie deluxe swindles (the red coupe) he 'd pop both doors off (connected by ball joints) then with my help to pull the arms out; then he can pop the front window/back connection while the head flipped 180, then he can pop both legs out (by ball joints). It is really fun to see how he likes TF...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    I opened up my Doubleclutch and rallybots... didn't do any mod ... transformed and combined with the combiners... it doesn't look that bad or troublesome as others mentioned...

The combined (or power up mode) can stand still well and made some poses... not as bad as I thought... (will upload a few pics tomorrow)...

So Doubleclutch combined form...
    [​IMG]

I somehow like to compare it with the old days combiners Protect-con (spelling?) and the Constructicons I have here on the pic... The reason I compared them because I feel the new PCCs in general are some sort of enhancement from the very old days combiners... talking about toy tech since the PCC is nothing better than the Energon combiners but what's better on the PCC are "there are no loose parts" Before I kept going sharing my thought...

I 'd jump to the articulation which I care alot. Doubleclutch as the center core... I know what people are frustrated about... plainly if its shoulders pieces are locked as instructed... articulation to the arms is very limit. Since the drones becoming arms don't have any elbow articulation (which is not much better than energon combiner) Now if you let the shoulders pieces go loose.. then the robot chest piece which does not lock very secure with the two pegs will pop out loose easily when the shoulder pieces get in the way...

If it is transformed as instructed; much less issue... but we all know that kind of suck...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so now bottom line... how much it costs (or is it worth a $20 toy) is really debatable... $20 toy; with one scout class figure (which is not too complicated and it looks quite dumb by itself like I wouldn't buy it if it is standing alone and without the capability to combine) and 4 drones which looks like overpriced toys even for $2 a piece... breaking down like $8 a piece on the scout class figure; $3 a piece on each drone. It is not totally outrageous... but it is still hard to justify as simply as there is not much improvement.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  6. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    After playing with this set for a bit I really have to wonder how a TF so utterly glitchy made it into production. Double Clutch has three modes and not a ONE of them holds together well. The car mode suffers from panel-alignment issues and I'm finding it pretty much impossible to get all four wheels on the ground at once. The robot mode has loose balljoints, a loose neckplate, absurd proportions, and he can't even get his arms past his chest! The torso mode looks decent enough but it is not at all up to the task of accepting the arm drones...installing them can pop off any of a number of joints in the misaligned shoulders. There is scarcely a peg on this toy that actually does what it's supposed to!

This is the only set I got primarily for the drones and the Rallybots are without a doubt the high point of this set. Double Clutch is just terrible...Not only the worst PCC, but also one of the worst TFs I can recall in a long time.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I just opened my rallybots yesterday. The drones are not bad. Double clutch's vehicle mode and robot mode gave me not much issues, and I actually kinda like both. Torso mode, the pegs sucks for both the arms and the actual head for me. So what I did was, I just deteched the two arms from the loose ball joints and used the peg to hold them only. It works out fairly well without straining anything.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Some of the best drones, that's for sure. Double Clutch is pretty fun as a standalone figure.

9. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm having trouble with the red drone I have to manually open the heels.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I think the instructions say you have to deploy it manually. Not all drones 100% autoconvert.

11. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Wait... the PCCs are barely larger than Micromaster combiners? Hah. That's just... incredible.

12. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    finally figured it out. Well after clipping off the useless tabs at this elbows, DC isn't as bad as Mudslinger, even though he's floppy...

I wish the arms on the car drones were longer thoguh.

13. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I just picked up Double Clutch, and while I love how he looks:

This basically describes my problem with mine. The arms just pop off way too easily at the elbow ball sockets, and the arms are difficult to fit into the pegs for the combined mode without them popping off the socket.

I have no problems with the drones or with any other part of Double Clutch. But the arms will probably prevent me from playing with him all that often.

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scout + Legend = height.

Logic!

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    So I got this guy for Walmarts' 15 dollar sale. I was hesitant knowing what I have read. I like his Individual bot mode, but his torso mode is off putting. I got his shoulders to snap in and be okay. And I am okay with his neck/head piece not snapping in perfectly.

My problem is his legs. Do his legs snap in somewhere, because I can't figure them out. They are a little floppy.

And his red foot/leg drone's spring is a little too resitant. If the figure just weighed a little more there wouldn't be an issue. I have that little grey piece on the bottom of the car where it should be so I don't know.

[​IMG]
    Power Core Combiners Double Clutch with the Rallybots by thenatureboywoo, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  16. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Double Clutch is cool by himself but, blows donkey as a torso.
    The Rallybots are WAY better combined with Huffer, especially with his legs left in bot mode. Can anyone spot what else I did?...

17. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Attached Pinpointer to one of the drones?

18. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Yup! And I painted his exhaust pipes/headers too.

19. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    picked him up on walmarts 15 dollar sale...definately glad i held off to save that 5 bucks. Knew what i was getting into after having read dave van domelans review and he did something different I believe to get it to fit

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Maybe the QC problems were fixed on later shipments.

Just saying becasue I picked up an early Mudslinger set and the dude's leg broke right out of the plastic. Returned it ,afraid to touch that set again.
    Picked it back up a month & a few cases later, and the set was almost flawless.

Maybe Double Clutch is the same way since he's from the same shipments.