Powercore Combiners Double Clutch w/ Rallybots

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gen. Magnus, Aug 4, 2010.

1. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    love this combiner!

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed. He looks good -- I like the head and the appearance of the neon (ZOMG) green. But man do the shoulder position and finnicky forearm attachment pegs suck!

Fortunately, Leadfoot is the cure for what ails "Rallybot Maximus":

[​IMG]

3. fraenhawk

fraenhawk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got him yesterday. I think the first page people that were complaining about his head didn't notice that if you flip the whole small head panel assembly almost 360 degrees through the body, then the panel winds up sitting on top of the cutout instead of under it. I thought the same thing about friction at first too, but it became obvious in alt mode when I could see how much clearance the designers gave the swivel.

4. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

I just found the 5 packs, and while I"m more excited for Mudslinger and the Destructicons, the Rallybots look cool, and I was planning on putting them with Huffer or Leadfoot anyway. I think Double Clutch looks better as a stand alone robot than torso mode.

5. megaxz01

megaxz01 Transformer up and comer

News Credits:
    I helped a friend get Double-Clutch with Rallybots, and when he opened them that night at my house, everything on his fit nice and snuggly together.

There was not one single piece that couldn't snap to something.

It was a very kick ass figure in gestalt mode. Makes me almost want to open mine and mess with him... and yes, I am talking about Doubleclutch.

I don't know why so many are bashing this toy and talking about problems with him, because from my first hands on with it in gestalt mode, nothing was loose... I even posed him pretty good.

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    That's nice to know! It means that if he eventually gets here, he'll have better QC.

7. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    saw this set today and whilst i like the omnibot like doubleclutch, he looks sooo cheap, like a KO, what happened to the nice crisp head sculpts that takara used to design?

8. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

So, I haven't been around in a while, and don't really collect actively anymore. However, I kind of liked the idea of the PCCs when I saw some Toy Fair pics earlier this year. When I saw Huffer and the Rallybots set, I figured I could pick them up and make my own little custom Menasor or something to sit on my desk and glower at everybody.

Well... that's not going to be happening, because I'm taking this junky piece of crap back to the store. My Double Clutch has hip joint pieces which have to be completely removed in order for the toy to be transformed properly into his torso mode. That's not so bad in and of itself, because you can always fix that with a little sanding. His arms don't snap together in vehicle mode, though, which means he just kind of flops around with a ton of huge gaps. The tolerances are completely off somewhere because the tabs on his arms won't even go near the gaps on the lower arm pieces no matter what I do. Pretty disappointing. That's not the worst part, though, because those things could probably be fixed with some time and patience.

What is really bad is that the red rally car drone has a missing piece which prevents it from being used as a limb. I don't know how to describe it and my camera isn't working so I can't take a pic right now, but there's a square cutout on the large gray piece on the bottom of the toy. Something obviously is supposed to fit there in some way (probably a piece that acts like a lever or something, so the spring-loaded parts move everything around when he attaches to a combiner body), but there's just nothing there that can fit in/through that hole. I could probably kludge together a fix with some sprue and styrene, but I don't have the patience to do it right now.

So, yeah. He's going back to the store for a refund.

9. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My red rallybot has a strut that looks like it should go through the hole but doesn't half the time. It won't TF properly. I've not noticed any problems with the hips on my Double Clutch but that may be I've been too distracted by the arms which have elbows made of plasticene, and will not ever lock into place to form the combined mode because as soon as the small hole gets near the peg that's too large to fit in it, the aforementioned elbow joints come to bits.

Now I've like PCC when they've got it right. But I've had an issue somehow with all the toys in wave 2:

Sledge: The cut joints at the shoulder are more likely to turn than the limb arms in combined mode.
    Icepick: The robot shoulders are more likely to turn than the drone limbs in combned mode.
    Leadfoot: The combined robot shoulders don't securely attach. The diagonal cut on the leg is more likely to turn than the hip in combined mode if you need to move it for getting the toy to balance.
    Double clutch: Plasticene elbows and pegs that don't fit preventing me forming combined mode

I'm sure I'll find something wrong with Mudslinger today! Stick with Smolder for your combined mode torso, at least the shoulders stay in one place.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Got him yesterday. Floppy, floppy, floppy. Everything that is supposed to peg together is way too loose to do so. The red drone won't transform completely thus, leaving him a peg-leg.

I'll work more on him. As of right now I feel as I got Bucked in the Futt.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    there is a small gray piece inside the red car that fits in that hole... but if its transformed a little funky, it'll pop out... that limb really needs to be transformed, then attached, not vice versa... i still kinda think that the drones shouldn't've been auto transform, and shoulda had just a small 3 step process to transform then, then they'd hold together much better...

12. Beastbot X

Beastbot X "Soiled" Himself

News Credits:
    Agreed, Leadfoot is pretty darn awesome. As is Icepick and, to a lesser degree, Sledge. The 2-packs for Wave 2 COMPLETELY blow the 5-packs out of the water.

13. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have to spread the hood and front undercarriage apart manually on the red drone before pegging him on, but he stays transformed well after that. And Double Clutch displays well for me once combined, but the second I try to move the arms, the shoulder assembly unpegs.

14. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't know what I did last night, but I got those shoulder pegs to fit on nice and tight. I will investigate further.

15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry, but to me ALL of the Powercore Combiner bots look absolutely terrible!

16. mitchsantona

mitchsantona Seeker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Double Clutch Double Blows. The QC on that guy sucks fierce. The Red drone isnt far begind either. Tons of pop offs, nothing pegs together, everything is too loose to pose. The blue car is too plain as a limb. and the black one just kind of folds up too. The best piece in the set is the little orange car, but what a waste of money for this set. Very dissapointed. I think in General all the Decepticons seem better than the Autobots to me.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah mine pegs together just fine too... you've gotta get it just right, but then it all locks into place and holds firm... much like Skyburst who's just got a ton of pegs and holes to line up...

i've not that much of an issue... the one thing i have noticed is his legs tend to pop off during transformation to torso mode, but only sometimes... and i pulled one of his arms off, but i think that was me being too rough... like ORIO, i'll have to figure out what i was doing...

18. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Well, damn the shoulders. I can't for the life of me get them to hold tight. I've even tried to put nail polish on them to get them tighter. Can't do it. I would have gladly paid $5 more for these if they increased quality on them.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got this one out of the box and I'm fairly happy with it, in general. In the case of the 5-packs, I'm a bit more forgiving of flaws with the Commander figure, so long as the drones and combined mode are decent.

PROS
    - The drones look very good combined with Double Clutch and attach tightly, which has been a problem with some of the other drones, thusfar.
    - Leg drones make decent feet and allow some decent poses.
    - Torso mode holds together tightly, even when moving the limbs around, and I think it's one of the best, most stable torso modes thusfar. But...

CONS
    - ...holy crap, is it ever a fight getting the torso mode snapped together; specifically, connecting the holes on the car doors attached to the pegs on the backpack. I had to use a fair amount of force and I think I got lucky just randomly massaging the various joints until the left shoulder connected and that set up the right shoulder to lock in place.
    - The auto-transform doesn't work right on the red drone. Have to connect the drone and then push up the front bumper to get it into proper foot mode.
    - Double Clutch's individual robot mode doesn't peg together very well at all and the chest gets in the way of the arm articulation.

Overall, I rather like the Double Clutch and it's a great combiner, if you can actually get the torso mode to lock together correctly. Given that Double Clutch himself isn't so great, and I'm not sure I could get the torso back together if I take it apart, I'll probably be leaving this in the combined mode on my shelf.

20. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    to my mind the PCC's are showing that takara designs just arent what they used to be, takara can still make some good stuff but in many ways things are getting sloppy.