Power Rangers - Toys, Television, and More!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Kickback, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I pre-ordered Lightning Collection blue ranger yesterday.

I'm good with Power Rangers.

I moved recently and decided to adopt a less is more approach when displaying my collection.

It will be season 1-3 zords and season 1-2 rangers.

2. Thunderstudent

Thunderstudent Raiden's Pupil

YouTube:
    I’ve been revamping my custom legacy pink ranger, thoughts? Obviously I’m not done yet. AD24779A-9B9B-44E1-92DD-91CA52126277.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

This is the original movie megazord rom 2017

[​IMG]

Take a look at this fan made lego model from the 2017 power rangers movie

Now look at the official version

and it costs over $100

The original is a parts-forming mess...you have to take apart every single zord and rearrange them into the megazord ...its almost as if its made of lego...the irony here is that the fan-made lego version is fully transformable.

This is a joke now ! As much as I love power rangers I have never bought a megazord...because I just can't get past the idea that...Voltron is fully articulated... the transformers have a combiner called devastator that is fully articulated ....yet for decades now Bandai continues to give us bricks for megazords...even when the individual zords are nothing more than inarticulated cars

[​IMG]
    The manufacturers still refuse to put any effort into making the megazord articulated.

Look at the picture above. Its the turbo megazord. Its just made up of static cars. Not even construction vehicles. You really mean to tell me ...they couldn't fit articulation into that ?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

The whole gimmick of power rangers is that the zords combine

As far as I am concerned, after over 20 years of toys they should have mastered the technology of making articulated combiners by now.
    In a world where Unique toys Challenger Optimus Prime and Studio Series Devastator...are possible...we shouldn't still be accepting bricks for megazords.

• Like Like x 4
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    That's some top grade Clustermegazord right there. Like, it's trying to make Bioman ponder its life choices. It's crap like that which makes me wish even more that we could go back to the clean lines and future concepts from the 1980's, even if only for one retro season.

BTW, started watching Jetman on Shout Factory's app. Really enjoying it so far. I wish we could get more than just the over-priced Super Minipla for modern releases of old Super Sentai mecha. BoJ really needs to get off their duff and start rolling out some Soul of Chogokins. I'd be willing to spend an extra $150 for something more substantial than a fragile model kit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    I certailny enjoy very clean robots like the carranger mecha and jetman. But clean things like that I think are more for collectors than kids. But to each their own.
    As for SoC for Jetman, count me in. Jet Garuda is one of my favourite sentai mechas.

7. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

The Beast Morphers/GoBusters mechs are a lot more fiddly in design, needing the three forms and then that pretty complex combination. Ryusoulger is basically take apart and attach like lego so that should be a whole lot easier to adapt, I'd think (or hope).

As far as lightning collection MMPR, I already missed Kimberly so I think I'm just going to wait until they re-release them all or go without.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Seems to me that the only reason kids aren't into that styling is because the companies don't make it anymore. But what do I know? Maybe BoJ has tried to bring in some retro looks, did some kid research and found they prefer Age of Extinction Dinobots instead.
    I think the old Sentai mecha would easily find an audience there. Maybe Daizyuzin didn't sell as well as they'd hoped and killed their enthusiasm for doing more beyond the Dragonzord and Titanus (which was arguably phoned in using 90% the BoA Legacy version for tooling). I just hope the Super minipla isn't where it all ends...

• Like Like x 2
  9. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Well-Known Member

I really love the Minipla and Super Minipla sentai mecha, but SOC version of some of the older series would be awesome and I'd be totally in. I'm guessing that will never happen though. Seems like there isn't enough money in Sentai stuff for BoJ to make that kind of investment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    I think that BoJ is really trying to experiment with the sentai adult market with super minipla and super shodo. They tried with S.H Figuarts especially with Jetman, but I think the time wasn't right but I would love a full Jetman team in S.H. Figuarts form. So maybe in a few years we can see some SoC for older Sentais.
    Maybe they later focused more on the american market rather than the japanese one and that's why they may have failed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Not sure where this post came from. But it's strange to see someone comparing apples and oranges.

The 2017 movie Megazord is admittedly a massive mess, part-forming in every way imaginable because the people in charge of the movie clearly didn't bother to take toys into account when designing it. There's really no excuse for it.

Now, you've started comparing toys from the mid 90's to modern toys - which is very unfair. The Turbo Megazord is a figure representing its time and comparing it to figures 20 years later like (I'm assuming) CW Devy or the recent Voltron is just crazy. Transformers had just started pulling off articulation in Beast Wars and late G2, so please give Bandai a break there.

As for why modern Megazords don't have articulation, the DX figures are simply not designed with that in mind...probably born more out of tradition than anything. That said, you can get articulated 5" Megazords now through the Minipla releases, if you don't mind doing a little model work. They're about on par with Gundam model kits and feature everything you're looking for. But they are largely Japan exclusives...so you have to order them through importers. The latest is King Express.

BANDAI Mini Pla Mashin Sentai Kirameijya Series 02 King Express Set Japan NEW | eBay
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Not that I disagree that we should absolutely have some form of fully-articulated mecha somewhere outside of Japanese-exclusives, your time frames are a little skewed. Transformers didn’t have full articulated Combiners until 1997, and they were much smaller. Transformers didn’t have large, articulated, stable Combiners until Combiner Wars, everything else was smaller scale or flimsy due to balancing articulation and all three (often four) forms per figure. The Turbo Megazord predates them all.

Another thing to remember is the focus on Megazords was making them big, hefty, and solid. Used to be they were some of the biggest toys a kid would own, and were designed to be recombined and handled roughly without degradation or loosening up over time. The joints were all big, solid, and rugged, and before BOA started making their own versions, high-quality with chrome and even die-cast to make them feel premium.

That said, they absolutely should’ve branched out with even a sublime of articulated, combining Megazords at a smaller size at some point in the brand’s multi-decade history. If even just to experiment. However the problem is the risk of dividing sales, and rendering the bigger ones obsolete. Power Rangers, and even more so Super Sendai, are targeted at a much younger demographic than Transformers, so the focus there is on big, blocky simplicity that even the younger children can conquer.

Which I think makes the hideous 2017 Megazord even worse. That movie was targeted at an older audience compared to PR, yet the Megazord was (aside from the stupidest, most predictably Hollywood design ever) even more simplistic as you said. It was nothing but hollow, cheap chunks of plastic you had to take apart. It was a travesty.

• Like Like x 5
  13. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

They did a bunch of full Sentai teams (a ton of exclusives, but Bluefin at least alleviated some of that) but the prices (for the time) were just prohibitive. You'd think that for a lot of them that use the same basic design they could sell cheaper box sets but nope. super minipla and super shodo are in contrast designed to be pretty cheap (even if they aren't as cheap as candy toys usually are), especially as model kits. I don't think they even make figuarts for the current sentai series, do they?

As far as the lack of articulation in Super Sentai mechs:

I'd argue that the original Chogokin Voltron, while slightly more articulated than other robots of his time, wasn't exactly super articulated. Early ones were more hefty, sturdy, and full of zinc, and later lines went more complex but the complexity was in stacking all of these things together to form super forms. Heck, you don't even get bad guys to fight (for the Japanese toys). Transformers obviously went a much different direction when Beast Wars (I think) introduced the ball jointed limbs and Car Robots adapted them to non beast forms. I think there's hope that Hasbro as a company will pump out some better engineered "zords" but I'm honestly not even sure how the line fared in toy stores... the only reason my son has all of them is because amazon sold that exclusive set, otherwise I don't think I would've found all the pieces. And that's only what, five of them?

Also, from personal experience, you know which toys my young son liked the best? Zyuohger. Because they are by far the easiest to combine and play with. He doesn't care that much that they're literally bricks.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Sixshot666666

Sixshot666666 Ninja Consultant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    D189ADE8-A685-43CE-927A-284E5740B95A.jpeg Finally working on my Kirameiger Minipla I’ve had for a whole

• Like Like x 3
  15. Thunderstudent

Thunderstudent Raiden's Pupil

YouTube:
    What conversation did I walk in on?!

16. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

FYI: The Turbo Megazord was released at the same time the likes of Transmetals Megatron and Optimus Primal (Magnaboss anyone?) were, so stop using the 90s as an excuse for those Megazords to not have proper articulation.

17. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Those are

A. Not combiners
    B. Not 10" tall
    C. Revolutionary in terms of transforming toys at the time

A better comparison would be Trendmasters Voltron, which had about the same amount of articulation. The closest things in Transformers were Magnaboss and Tripredicus but, to be really brutally honest, they were hot messes compared to modern Transformers combiners. Magmatron was a step in the right direction but Takara would only master really good combiners with articulation with very late 90's Brave and Car Robots (with Build King and JRX).

Seriously, you can scream the 90's is no excuse. But why not say that the 80's is no excuse? Or the 70's? Or the 60's? Why weren't there Transformers or Megazords toys back in 1910? YOu just have to realize that articulation wasn't the focus even back in the 90's for most toylines. Even GIJoe and Spawn were more interested in sculpting over articulation at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    The mainline toys for Super Sentai are meant for preschoolers. That’s their target demographic. They will never be as complex as a mainline Transformer.

19. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Well, I'd say ages 5-10...the same as the mainline Transformers brands like Animated, Prime, RiD and Cyberverse. They are not designed for collectors and older kids, like Generations which is 8+. Japanese media tends to "dumb up" their material versus Western media that tends to "dumb down"...meaning material intended for ages 5-10 are written with 10 year olds in mind versus material written for 5-10 being written with 5 year olds in mind. As a result, Super Sentai can be enjoyed by those with older mindsets too. But they have to design the toys with 5 year olds in mind...hence the more simplistic play format. But make no bones about it...Super Sentai (and Power Rangers in general) is meant mostly for elementary school kids.

And, I repeat, the older kids have the candy Minipla to get their toy fix - which is also a great segue into more complex Gunpla, which is aimed at older kids.

20. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    The Kirameiger toys literally have an age recommendation of 3 and up. That’s toddler/preschool.