Power Rangers (2017) - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TFtoycollector, May 7, 2014.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's Hasbro. They have decades of experience in designing giant combining robots. ;)  I am thinking Titan Class Megazord giftset here. Unlike the terrible thing Bandai made with separate parts needed for combining, and more with ratchet joints and grooved connections, like Predaking was.

2. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To me it had worse effects and costumes than Star Trek TNG that also had real people fighting in klingon costumes sonetimes (and that too was on in that era). Heck we also had live action superhero shows like the Flash in 1995.

3. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How are you from the 80ies and you never heard of Parker Lewis Can't Lose?
    I brought it up for comparison because it too is live action and is about teens with attitude at a high school. While I am the guy who finds high school drama boring and cliche, that show made everyday events interesting with effects and camera angles and good acting alone. Stealing test answers from under Principal Musso's nose was shot like a Mission Impossible spy heist. Larry Kubiak was always shot appearing like a primordial Godzilla sized monster and he would have felt right at home tackling rubber suit monsters in an Angel Grove playset. :)  But mostly the writing was clever and the characters interesting. In Power Rangers, sure as a kid I looked forward to see the Monster of the Day, to see the Zords appear, maybe to have the rare odd episode when the Tyranniozord alone would fight the monster a bit before combining. But getting there was a chore because the characters were boring and not acted by great actors, and the plots in high school so cliche. And Bulk and Skull... I dunno why Linkara and others love those two so much. They are such parodies of the dumb bullies it hurts to watch them. And no, that's not my opinion now, it was my opinion then.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Yes, Power Rangers had terrible effects, terrible overacting, and cheap rubber costumes.

But, that's not what we stayed for. What we stayed for, was the end result:

Dudes in rubber suits, fighting.

It's what made Power Rangers great. Taking it away, isn't Power Rangers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Because I'm in Australia and if you can cast your mind back to the pre-broadband internet age that was, media did not travel as quickly then as it did now. And it was prior to (my recollection) of there being pay-tv services in the country at all so I'm going to guess that one of two things happened: 1. Parker Lewis Can't Lose didn't get picked up by the one of the five channels Australia had when I was a kid since the 80s-90s was actually a pretty good age for locally produced live action shows for kids in Aus, or 2. I managed to miss it if it did.

6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I think you're oversimplifying it a bit. I mean, sure, many episodes plays out fairly formulaic, but they have mixed it up sometimes. I dunno about anything past In Space, but I remember there being a few monsters (like Pudgy Pig and Madam Woe) that didn't get enlarged and fight the zords at all. They were instead defeated by the combine Rangers weapons. Or in the second Pudgy Pig episode, they transformed him back into a regular pig. I also remember a couple occasions where the Tyrannosaurs dinozord defeated the monster on its own, without forming the Megazord.

7. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

The music as well. That kickass score in the series from Ron Wasserman always made those scenes pure epic. I hope if we do actually get a reboot, it's with that kind of electric guitar score, not hip hop. Hip Hop only goes with PR when it's Zack doing his hip hop akkido.

And very often, they would have to use their brains to work out how to weaken the monster before they did the fight. Like when they fed Pudgy Pig spicey peppers to make him vomit first, or Trini had to sprinkle that pollen over the turtle with the traffic light. Sure the end result may have been the same, but they had to keep doing different things to get there.

• Like Like x 3
  8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Morphing was explained in the film with Billy being excited about being a Ranger, while all the others were reluctant about the job. Once Billy died and was resurrected, they all affirmed their bond and went to war together.

Compare it to the 90s TV show morphing sequence and there's a difference.

But that said, they should have used the morphers to actually activate.

And Dolza is right: the Rangers should keep the cheese. Why are studios so reluctant and wary about cheese and ham? Power Rangers and Sentai live on over-dramatic scenes!

9. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Rita staff reminds me Loki staff and the power coins reminds me the infinity gems.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Yea, the cheese, it's like Hollywood is allergic to it now or something. They try so hard to make it "Cool" and appeal to everyone, that they fail to make it cool, or appeal to anyone.

As for those clips, yea... they don't even really show them morphing in that clip. It's all shaky camera, and light flashes. Which is always something great for an audience watching this scene in a dark theater. Thanks Hollywood, keep doing this! LOL

While you have the original version, which is the Power Rangers shouting their names! Then coming together to say they're fighting evil, together. Then reacting to a giant robot combining. While this one is clearly the cheesier one, it is also the more entertaining version. Everyone involved knows it's cheesy. And, they're having fun with it.

While the Hollywood one, is still cheesy, they're just not having fun with it. So, neither is the audience. (At least with the actual Ranger stuff.) The slow walk into the room together was kind of cool. But, not nearly as good as the posing, and the together speech.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

Yeah, I don't get it. What's the point of making Power Rangers if you are going to strip away essential parts of the show.

12. Dolza_Khyron

Well, because that is what DC did. DC stripped away the cheese from it's superheroes. So, basically, again, Hollywood is following a trend. Running it into the ground.

13. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    I just saw it myself for the very first time on tv. I really enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

At least Elizabeth Banks was having fun with it. Made Rita a pure joy to watch, with how much scenary chewing she was doing.

15. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry! Tend to forget about you guys down there, when I read comment with good english grammar, I assume it is US or UK. Pity you guys never had it - it was on for us in both hungarian and german channels.
    And yes. The world changed so much post internet, it is often hard to believe I used to freeze-frame the VHS player to color the TF universe bios in cartoon colors which I photocopied in my dad's office :) 

16. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the last film wasn't PR.

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I had a feeling it would be a reboot. Curious if they'll take notes from the Bumblebee movie with trying to make certain characters and design more like their originals or not. Given their new strongly focus on nostalgia in many of their lines nowadays that's the most likely direction but still they could end up surprising us. Hope they don't try to make it too much like the original as a way to make up for the last attempt at a PR movie.

19. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Still have no idea how to feel about this movie.

Some of the characters are VERY well written, even complex - Kimberly is sort of unlikable but not in a bad way, in a way that you understand her mistake and feel sympathy. Zach (or whatever the black rangers name is) is SO sympathetic, Billy is fantastic, Jason is good, Trini is pretty much the only weak link but it’s because they pussyfooted around on her being LGBT. The pacing, I actually enjoyed for the most part - I don’t mind most of the movie being a character piece that builds up to an action sequence because I like these characters.

HOWEVER...

The uneven tone, terrible designs, unnecessary sequel bait, basic story, and half assed effects practically ruin it for me.

Hopefully Hasbro watches the 2017 movie and looks at it for a guide of what to do and what NOT to do