Power of the Primes Voyager Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Nov 30, 2017.

1. coybrafett

coybrafett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, nice pics. It's good to have a video, but high quality up close pictures really show off more detail. Do these stickers require any heat (i.e. blow dryer) to help them stick better. Perhaps require isn't the right word. I've heard that some reprolabels sets actually conform to the plastic more smoothly if you heat them up.

2. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    My only experience with Reprolabels that I applied myself (which I say because I have Generations Warpath with pre-applied Reprolabels) are the set for TR Kickback (which I recommend, they really help him stand out), and they went on just fine.

3. CookieFactory

CookieFactory Well-Known Member

I just applied the stickers as-is. I wa pretty casual about it and it wasn’t hard at all. That said it doesn’t mean one couldn’t get better results easier using a blow dryer.

Yeah I’ll probably wait for the stock stickers to start peeling before I replace them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
  4. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Crap, crap, crap. My Grimlock already has a broken piece --- the rings that attach the dino neck to the body.
    GrimlockBusted.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Ooooh that sucks man, I hope it doesn’t break anymore

6. RobotBastard

RobotBastard Well-Known Member

IMG_9995.JPG IMG_9994.JPG

ME GRIMLOCK HAVE DEVELOPED SPACE FIGHTER MODE! ME GRIMLOCK PREPARED TO HURTLE THROUGH COSMOS!

• Like Like x 18
  7. kirito5ao

kirito5ao New Member

When grimlock is in torso mode it seems on my copy his waist joint is really week. I go to pick him up in combine mode and torsos moves on its own.
    Was wandering if its a wide spreed issue or just my copy of the figure

8. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

I had to move the combined Volcanicus the other day, this sucker will not stay standing on his own and it's infuriating that Hasbro could screw up this figure's design so badly despite being 2 years after Combiner Wars. Why can't they get the sprocket locations and tensions on the core figures right still? This is only THE MOST IMPORTANT THING about the figure when you make it a combiner. Yet Grimlock wilts like a wax sculpture sitting in the afternoon sun. I want so badly to enjoy this figure as best I can despite the limitations, but it should really be up to them to get the engineering right at least. I mean, peeling stickers are infuriating enough, to have him faceplant is insulting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've not attempted it with the Wave 2 Dinos (since I haven't seen them yet), but I've build Volcanicus using just the Wave 1 figures and hadn't had any particular issues with it. Due to finer ratchets in the combined hips plus the new ankle articulation, seemed a great deal more stable than any of the Combiner Wars figures (at least, for the ones using the standard hands/feet, and not the Computron/Victorion ones).

So, as always, your mileage may vary?

10. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

This isn't the first one I've seen with this issue, my buddy has one as well, same thing. Without a locking position on the Grimlock thighs, he leans forward from being too topheavy. The only pose I can get him in now eschews the Grimlock knees as Volcanicus hips, and this wouldn't be too much an issue but the figure is SO wide in the shoulders and so small in the torso that it just adds to that smallness.

In more positive news, I gave Volcanicus a sword that Grimlock can also wield, the "Combiner Slayer" sword that came with Combiner Hunters Arcee (originally the Prime: Beast Hunters Ultimate Optimus sword, this time painted black with an Energon-pink blade paint job) and it suits the combiner pretty well with its spiny teeth and wild, aggressive shape. Originally I had the "Primeon Blade" from Combiner Hunters Chromia with Volcanicus, the combiner "fingers" held it adequately and its red accent color suited the character better, but it didn't fit in Grimlock's hand at all, and it wasn't as stable in Volcanicus' hand as the Combiner Slayer which fits in the thumb peghole.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The early Optimus and Megatron two-pack has a nifty trans-orange sword and axe in it which make for good energo weapons. My G1-coloured RID Deluxe Grimlock had been sporting them for a couple of years, but now they're in the hands of PotP Grimlock.
    I tried to upload a photo but for some reason Chrome keeps crashing when I do.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Chrome fixed the picture issue with an update so now I can post the photo I wanted to.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Grimlock is better in person than in pictures. He's not perfect though. My main issues are his tail, his red robot waist showing through in dinosaur mode and Volcanicus' waist clearly being shown on his back. Other than those three cosmetic issues, he's okay enough. He can quickly and easily be transformed back and forth which I like.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually did pick it up, and my opinion stands.
    Aside from the aesthetic issues, having the shoulder joints being made of clear plastic is just inviting longevity problems.

15. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Found this toy on sale at a Target I dropped by. I don't think he was even worth that price.

One thing, he is short. Like, only about a head taller than Swoop going by my comparison between them with the latter in the box. Second, he has no weapons aside from those dumb foot things. He being the first Voyager of the line I have, I can't say that I am too thrilled with the lack of storage for the Enigma — a block of plastic with no bot or alt mode use (this toyline is very fond of pretending fancy looking blocks are important) — in most of the Voyagers that I have seen. The clear plastic is horrifying. The stickers are already peeling.

He does have his merits, however. He looks quite fat, which after his sickeningly retro dino mode is a cool update. After thirty years, not many are going to keep their beach body. Sans the stickers, he's nicely detailed and I love the spiked knuckles too. With those and his newfound beerbelly, he's kind of like an aged brawler.

Dinosaur mode is okay, although I can't say at the time that I like the retro look as much as I do in Swoop. Like, science and Jurassic Park (but mostly science) have completely reshaped my image of Tyrannosaurus rex so it doesn't sit right. The back is horrendous, which will make certain pictures pretty bad and just plain be an eyesore. Don't like the head being unable to rotate, but it isn't a bad semblance of G1 Grimmy and at least the mouth doesn't hang open. It's fairly expressive with the tiny arms being on ball joints although I haven't yet figured out how to add the legs into that. Also, I am amused by a micro-T.rex roughly the size of a cab over being in my collection.

He barely passes, in my opinion. I did get him out of obligation to fill out my Dinobot roster, after all. Glad I caught him on sale.

16. rockHard

rockHard Well-Known Member

I just opened mine, and will have many nice things to say about it, but I have two questions:

1. The instructions show that robot mode hands should be folded out when making the torso mode. I find that the arms fold up better with the fists folded in. Is this common knowledge?

2. Volcanicus has holes in his chest. Please check my pictures, am I doing it right??
    (Yes I must learn how to rotate pics...)
    IMG_20180622_130706220.jpg IMG_20180622_130646891.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Interesting use of those holes! They're meant of course for the "spare" armorhands from the deluxes, which can bulk up the torso.

18. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom I'm Sarah in The Allspark.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    psst wrong hole,

• Like Like x 2
  19. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Holy cow, just tried it and the Enigma just stored away so smooth in that area. Thanks for the tip.

... Still wish there were better places for the other pieces...

• Like Like x 1
  20. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    Why has no one done this yet?!!?!? DSC_0998.jpg DSC_0994.jpg

• Like Like x 8