Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by bagofshhh, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I ended up buying one, then returning it.
    While it looked good standing in a static pose, it was pretty much a let down on all other fronts.
    I don't like being negative, but it really did feel like a garbage design. All gimmick and no substance.
    Oh well. At least I got my money back and someone else can get a shot at it.

2. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

I showed some friends a picture of this guy since I think he looks cool. They said "they made a Lemmy transformer?"

He will forever be known to me as Lemmy Prime.

• Like Like x 5
  3. CookieFactory

CookieFactory Well-Known Member

I have a feeling in 10-20 years this figure will be sought after collector's item. He's already a bit of an oddity (first and perhaps only official alternate universe figure), and coupled with the fact PotP will go down in history as a poorly distributed and "cut-short" line, this guy will be a rarity.

• Like Like x 5
  4. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know. I have a suspicion that there is going to be a number of Takara figures available. Remember, those haven't been released yet.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Picked this guy up at Walmart after looking at Rodimus and not digging what I saw. Glad I went for this one. The shoulders aren’t nearly as weird in person and there are a couple of alternate transformations that hide it entirely. Looks great in both vehicle modes and the super robot mode, base robot is alright but a little oddly proportioned. Corrupted/dead/dark/Black/red matrix looks ace but has the same problem as Prime’s in that it looks so nice why would I swap out the core for one of the enigmas or a Prime Master?

Biggest complaints are the super mode arms are kind of a pain to get into vehicle mode and the amount of force needed to unpeg the base robot chest from the trailer armor on mine is a little concerning. I loved POTP Optimus and this guy is a wonderful ‘what if’ companion piece.

6. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Hasbro can try selling him in another name...
    Menasor

LOLz

7. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just picked him up today at Walmart and I love him! Tabbing into vehicle mode is a bit of a pain but it eventually works out.

I REALLY hope reprolabels doesn’t disappoint with this one (SG Autobot symbols proper flame design, and a tiny goatee for Hot Rod!)

8. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Man, a after a while of searching for this guy, someone finally came through for me. Makes me disappointed that my first impressions were not inaccurate. That is to say, this mold is just not all that impressive and suffers from issues.

Still, there are some positives. Let's start with the first one that is most immediately apparent: in combined mode, he looks cool. Like, very cool. Black slims so much that I would recommend it for bland molds such as Elita-1/Starscream and others very much, and how black is done here is particularly exquisite — with the greys, metallic purples and silver really serving to make him look sharp. He really calls to mind a rocker, what with the chest patterns and flames — not to mention resembling Motorhead's Lemmy so much as to get a reaction out of every headbanger in my immediate vicinity, something that would almost make me sure the look was intentional if I didn't know of SG Rodimus. He is burly, something that works a lot better for him than Goody Two-Shoes. The articulation serves as a reminder of how awesome wrist swivels and ankle tilts are.
    The Nemesis Hot Rod mode isn't necessarily what I got him for, but it has its merits despite not being the buff villain that the combined version is. He looks like a teen headbanger, which I can somewhat dig. Vehicle mode is sharp too, with the red windshield and all. It feels more like a retro-futurized version of an 80s Lamborghini rather than the retro-futurized Ferrari of TR Hot Rod. The two are very different.

Now, onto the negative. The partsforming of this toy is atrocious. Getting him between modes feels like disassembling and then reassembling every single time it is done. I would probably only detach his Hot Rod and transform that to avoid most of the trouble, especially because the Winnebago mode is... not so good. It feels very small and putting Prime Masters next to it didn't alleviate that feeling, plus the whole thing is gappy. The combined vehicle looks far better in pictures than in person.

Robot mode wise, the shoulders of Lemmy mode keep him out of doing some of the most basic poses. Can't really splay his arms out, put his hands on his waist or shoulders and those are only the ones I have tried so far. Many poses leave his torso hollow. Those upper legs serving as the shoulder articulation are plain odd. While the Matrix looks cool, there isn't a point in it being there considering it has no function other than being hidden away and the chest doesn't reliably open in a way that puts it on display. I don't like to say things like this, but whoever thought of the stickers needs to be fired. The stickers on the trailer are already peeling off.

I definitely think if this were just the Rodimus with a whole vehicle mode to use without worrying about Hot Rod, I would be singing my praises for it especially now that I can see what I like in-hand vs. compromises. But, that all being said he looks cool. Like, very cool. I would recommend it over the other version of the mold any day. A Lemmy robot is something I didn't know I needed until I saw it.

(By the way, anyone have a good idea on how to manage the larger robot arms when going into Winnebago mode? One of the forearm tabs on mine is stressed.)

9. ShadowOfSilver

ShadowOfSilver Element 47

Ebay:
    I have the CAD files in order to sell 3D printed heads of Rodimus Unicronus as he appears in the POTP show. Only thing is I need the dimensions of how both head parts connect. Any help would be appreciated! I'll even give a free sample to whoever can get me the measurements. :) 

10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The bigger robot arms have to be "unlocked" before detaching from the trailer. You push them forward/away from the trailer and they are then able to angle outwards for removal. You'll hear/feel a click when locking/unlocking.

11. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just have to point this out.

Why would you show off a toy at a toy show with a particular faction symbol. Create an animated series featuring that character using the same faction symbol... then turn around and give us this???

This is SG Rodimus Prime why can't he be called SG Rodimus Prime!!!!

Sorry this erks me. especially now that I have seen POTP episode 2.

Unicronus.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Probably so little Johnny isn’t confused as to why the bad guy is wearing an Autobot symbol. I guess my bigger surprise is that toyhax doesn’t make sheets of SG faction symbols

13. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's a shame they couldn't have done an upside-down Autobot symbol then, or even an upside-down G2 Autobot symbol ala RIDs.

14. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Passed on Rodimus to get this guy. Happy that I did. This toy is super fun. Mine tabs together very securely. The knees and feet a a little weak but, I fix that. The colors look great on him. The head sculpt is awesome. Parts formery but, still a ton of fun. I was super pleased to find that the chests on the figures were tampoed and not a a sticker.

15. ShadowOfSilver

ShadowOfSilver Element 47

Ebay:
  16. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

So the Toyhax/Reprolabel set is out with a very MP-9B color scheme. I actually might skip it because I'm fine with the figure as is, although vehicle mode stickers might be handy.

17. MilanX3

MilanX3 Well-Known Member

Was this figure difficult to find in the US, as it was with most of the Wave 2 line for Power of the Primes? Are more popping up now?

18. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Finally saw this guy in Target today along with a few others that were impossible to find for the longest time.

Sadly I couldn't afford to get Hun-grrr too. ;n;

anyway first impressions:

His Box art is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick, and that alone was what made me snag the only copy on the shelf.

The toy is... eh, it's alright as for as black repaint go.

Space Garbage Truck mode though... meh.

I'd rather keep him as just the car.

But he's pretty impressive from the front in robot mode.

His Rodimus Unicronus face just oozes Lemy of Motorhead. (RIP)

Dkwd8mAU8AATQvL.jpg
    Dkwkf7RV4AA-JKl.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  19. robowarrior prime

robowarrior prime Member

Absolutely love this toy.
    Added some friction (nail polish) to his shoulders and ankles

Attached Files:

20. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    This guy looks great, especially with Nemesis Prime.

As an evil deco goes he's pretty solid. A surprisingly good amount of paint apps for Hasbro. A lot of care and attention when into this. Also the new headsculpt is aces.

I honestly liked the engineering of the original so that is all still great in my book. I really don't mind partsforming for super modes. Gives it kind of an Ironman vibe.

The only downside is that mine is a bit wobbly. He has just a little more trouble balancing for poses and his guns cannot stay connected very well. Not deal breakers, though.

Overall I really enjoyed this guy. Didn't think I would like him as much as I did.

[​IMG]