Power of the Primes (PotP) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TyrantGalvatron, Jul 20, 2017.

1. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Yep, and I like the feet on them better than PE's. The gun is big and heavy, but he looks good with it, IMHO. Got 'em off of Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone thrown together a potential Primes power up bios for P-CP yet? Currently all I can think of is Prima Punch- uses position within enemy ranks to broker piece between autobots and decepticons

• Like Like x 3
  3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Liege Maximo would obviously be perfecting his disguise, so nobody could tell which is the real him, while Megatronus would be used to sow dissent in both sides.

• Like Like x 3
  4. King Glurch

King Glurch I’m gonna miss you when I’m gone

YouTube (Legacy):
    Vector Prime would be to turn back time if he were caught.
    Solus Prime would be to forge new weapons for either mode.
    Alchemist Prime would be to create new armor coatings so the Autobots are not damaged by his weapons.
    Amalgamous Prime would be able to turn into any new disguise.
    Nexus Prime would be to combine with Decepticon combiners and keep his identity a secret.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

20181010_233831.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  6. GL2814H

GL2814H Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No one likes skullgrin in my area, picked up a 3rd one for 1.00 on clearance at Walmart.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not bad, could I use the Prime Armor Hands if I wanted to?

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Custom fodder? Base for Trentulas faceplates?

---

Incidentally, I've been thinking about the "Power of the Primes" conceit, i.e. big bot connects to Prime, is able to use that Prime's powers. It's interesting that the relationship often seems to go only that one way. I was looking at the chart, and sometimes the "evil" Primes (Liege Maximo, Megatronus) corrupt their bearers, and sometimes not. Sometimes the "good" Primes (Prima) make Decepticons good, or pseudo-good, and sometimes not.

I dunno, just interesting to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Don’t hassle the Hoffimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Ironically I gave prima to nemesis prime and use the rod cron description for him. Seems fitting after all. Used the rod cron description of megatronus as he's paired with tr Megatron too.

10. ShadowOfSilver

ShadowOfSilver Element 47

Ebay:
    Of course! I just figured I'd try providing some articulated hands of my own to give customers the display option.

• Like Like x 1
  11. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It’s kind of a shame that Repugnus is the last of the ‘Titans Return’ Monsterbots. Despite him being my favourite of the team, I feel like I’ve said nearly all I have to say about this lot in my Doublecross and Grotusque rambles.

So, to swiftly restate the key points; I have no memories of these guys, either from the comics or the toys, I first became aware of them from reading ‘Maximum Dinobots’, and I finally got all the toys the same day I finally got Fortress Maximus…at the tender age of 35.

So really, that just leaves me to talk about the toy. And the toy is, in my opinion, fucking fantastic. I have no idea who dreamed this guy up. He’s the most abstract monster of the three Monsterbots. Doublecross makes perfect sense if you believe in two headed dragons, Grotusque works a treat if you can hold a gargoyle, a tiger, and…some other shit in your head at the same time. But Repugnus? Fucked if I know man. He’s a big, grinning, bipedal bug with spare mandibles and arms that make me think of a praying mantis. What could make more sense?

And if that sounds like any sort of complaint, let me assure that it’s not. This is a toy that excites the imagination. I see Repugnus and I feel like a kid again. I want to put him in a bush and have him jump out and ambush some passing Decepticons, laughing all the while like a giant robot bug version of DC’s ‘the Creeper’, with whom he happens to share a colour scheme.

All three of the Monsterbots had the ‘cold spark’ gimmick, but it’s Repugnus that incorporates it best. As you press the trigger on the top of his head his mandibles chomp down. It’s a wonderful, almost unnecessary touch that adds to the feel of this toy being better than it needs to be. Every now and then you get a Transformer that’s had so much care and attention put into it’s design that you can’t help but wonder if it was someone’s pet project.

The robot mode fares poorly when compared to the monster mode, but is a really good robot. The transformation is smart and simple and gets a lot done in a few inspired steps. I’m particularly enamoured with the way that the monster arms form to fold the very distinctive looking chest. It’s far from a perfect ‘bot mode, with the blocky chest giving him some unfortunately stubby arms, but it’s still very good.

I had two thoughts when I saw the Titan Master Repugnus: “cute” and “shit, this means we’re probably not getting a deluxe to go along with Doublecross”. So glad to be wrong about that last one.

I thought that the Titan Master Repugnus was going to be one of my favourites of the Titan Masters but I was tremendously disappointed when I got him in hand. The head design is perfect, but man…it would have really benefited from just a touch of paint on the mouth. The design of the body is a bit weird, with the big wings (that have no relation to the original toy) and rather sloppy integration of the head. The other two modes are even worse. Such a pity!

I was delighted when I found out we were getting a deluxe Repugnus as one of the Prime Wars special editions. With speculation that this could be based on the PotP Rippersnapper mold, I was even more delighted when it was confirmed that Repugnus would be based on the Doublecross/Grotusque mold. Much like the Titans Return Decepticon Targetmasters, there’s something incredibly satisfying in seeing a sub-team all being based on an extensive variation of the same mold. It really does something to make them seem like a coherent unit.

Oddly, he’s a tiny bit underwhelming in person. Maybe I’ve seen the mold in action too much, but it seems to lack the wow factor that came with seeing how they pulled off Doublecross, and reinvented the mold with Grotusque. Both the robot and monster mods just seem to lack that OOOMPH that the other two had. They’re both perfectly competent and if I’d seen Repugnus before Doublecross or Grotusque I’d maybe have been more impressed.

The monster mode has some excellent details, like the hinged jaw and the clear green plastic used on the head that gives the eyes an unearthly glow. The downside is that that painted clear plastic is VERY delicate, and I’ve already had to glue a mandible back on. They’ve been smart to keep the monster-arms-to-robot-chest transformation, but beyond that there’s really not much to distinguish it.

One fun wee kink of this is that those of us that bought the Titan Master have the choice of two heads for our Deluxe; one for the animation model and one for the original toy design. My personal choice is the toy design, and not just because it matches the paint of the figure better. But how fun that we can choose?

There’s perhaps something quite cynical about the fact that we’ve got two of the three Monsterbots as high end special releases, with the attendant price tag. And of course, like the compliant consumer I am, I’ve snapped them both up without any hesitation. While I enjoy getting these extra characters that ‘can’t’ be fit into the main release schedule, I can’t help but wonder how sustainable this approach is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  12. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

i recently picked up the prime master figures. i love the pretender shells! i wish they would have colored the inner robots same as the g1 inner pretender robots.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

As always, a very enjoyable "storyview". I for one was completely enamored with this release. I was not particularly fond of "Doublecross" (even though I like dragons in general), and Grotusque was decent but nothing particularly special to me, but getting Repugnus not only completes the team, which makes me very happy, but stands out as the best of the three. With a choice of heads (I went with the TM bug-eyed look), his own personal mini-me (who I think is adorable and gave a signficant paint job), unique weapons, and a 4 armed fan mode, I just can't put him down. Most importantly, he made appreciate the other 2 monsterbots more, and now has me wishing they were Voyager sized so they could be more intimidating to my Decepticons, fighting alongside the Dinobots, and showing the Terrorcons the real meaning of Terror!

Repugnus turned out to be my favorite of the 3 Amazon exclusive releases of late, barely edging out Punch/Counterpunch. Blastoff is nice to have in his proper form, but he went straight on my constantly displayed combined-mode Bruticus without a second thought.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Dr. WU DW-PW38

15. Houstonian Prime

Houstonian Prime skilled tradesman

News Credits:
    I like windcharger..
    20181011_115937.jpg

• Like Like x 23
  16. Arko22

Arko22 Psychopomp

From left to right:
    Never got it but would like to.
    Have it, it's crap.
    Always wanted but could never get for a good price.

• Like Like x 6
  17. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

Finding this bag of parts week after getting my second Novastar. "Yay" I went through everything twice. Guess it's too late to hum Giant woman. :) 

DSCN9970.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  18. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20181011_192620.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  19. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Who's willing to bet that Giza from the Nemesis Prime set is a "futureshifted" Battlemaster, like CW Buzzsaw.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2